A warm Christmas at last

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mailee

Established Member
Reaction score
Well I have finally bitten the bullet and bought a workshop stove. I have been using a space heater with a propane bottle which only managed to warm a small area and was getting really expensive to run. Each 47Kg bottle would last me around one week in the winter and they have now gone up in price to over £60! :shock: That is a £10 rise in price in just one year! Not to mention losing a full gallon of glue last year due to the temperature. I have bought this sawdust, chippings wood burner from E-bay and am now waiting for the flue system to arrive.
DSCN3084-1.jpg

I went for the largest one I could find and am now looking forward to being warm this winter at long last. :D

mailee":1mv5auus said:
Well I have finally bitten the bullet and bought a workshop stove. I have been using a space heater with a propane bottle which only managed to warm a small area and was getting really expensive to run. Each 47Kg bottle would last me around one week in the winter and they have now gone up in price to over £60! :shock: That is a £10 rise in price in just one year! Not to mention losing a full gallon of glue last year due to the temperature. I have bought this sawdust, chippings wood burner from E-bay and am now waiting for the flue system to arrive.
DSCN3084-1.jpg

I went for the largest one I could find and am now looking forward to being warm this winter at long last. :D

Mailee

That sounds a good idea .... burn all the waste from the dust collector! Does it need some wood as well as the dust & chippings?

What make / model is it please?

Enjoy the warmth!!

It is this one Charlie: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220900114945? ... 1497.l2649 They do a range of them this being the largest. Apparently it can burn sawdust and shavings packed down tight and then topped up with wood as it burns down. I have yet to try it but will keep everyone posted how it goes. it will save me a fortune in gas and I won't have to keep having trips to the local council recycling centre with all my waste. I just hope it heats my shop up enough as it is a large draughty place.

All woodburning stoves burn a kilo of wood per hour per kw rating. Thats going to burn some amount of wood each day! I am looking to get the 20kw one in a wee while but as I already have an 8kw stove I have a big stockpile of seasoned firewood ready to chuck in it. I have an unlimited supply of free wood and several chainsaws. I also get all the tree jobs from my workshop landlord so I get paid to get my own firewood which in my book you cant beat that!

Mailee

Many thanks. I will be interested to see how you get on. My workshop produces quite an amount of dust & shavings but not much off cuts, so if it needs lots of wood to work well then I don't think it would suit my needs. I already have to buy logs for the woodburner in the house ..... acewoodturner is a lucky man getting paid for his logs!!!

Well done Alan, best thing I did was putting the large woodburner in my workshop - not only does it keep you warm but you can even toast your nuts on it!!

Chestnuts!!!!!

Ginsters cornish pasties are rather nice warmed on them too!!!

mailee":zt6w3a9v said:
DSCN3084-1.jpg

Best of luck with it Alan. I'm sure it will work out fine.

Really going to be toast Alan. Let us know the consumption.

I'd love something like that but being in a residential area I'm not to sure it would go down with the neighbours.

I post this all the time on this subject, have you notified your insurance company, if not your insurance will be invalidated for fire.
If you tell them it will go up. Catch 22. Your insurance company will normally require a certificate of installation from a registered installer as well

doctor Bob":12ob8x4v said:
I post this all the time on this subject, have you notified your insurance company, if not your insurance will be invalidated for fire.
If you tell them it will go up. Catch 22. Your insurance company will normally require a certificate of installation from a registered installer as well

Thats a really good point, how many of us would just go ahead and install a burner without thinking of the paperwork.
For sure, if I was able to install one I'd have just gone ahead and done it without thinking of the other implications.

Waka":ta437pjc said:
doctor Bob":ta437pjc said:

Thats a really good point, how many of us would just go ahead and install a burner without thinking of the paperwork.
For sure, if I was able to install one I'd have just gone ahead and done it without thinking of the other implications.

Where I am I would also need planning permission (my property had permitted development rights removed when it was changed from barn to domestic) !

Let's hope Mailee leads a simpler life up north!

Back