A plea to the moderators and Charley

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Student

Established Member
Reaction score
Please can you set up a section that enables those who want to argue about topics such as whether a honing guide is any use or esoteric topics about nibs on saws can to do so to their heart’s content. This would enable those wanting to find the answer to a sensible question to do so without wading through page after page of off-topic replies.

Two cases in point, both in the Hand Tools section

On 2 July, Rob H asked what type of honing guide David Charlesworth was using in a video. The question was answered in the first 2 replies. There followed 100 further replies about the usefulness or otherwise of a honing guide.

On 10 June Steliz asked whether 4 saws were worth renovating. The question was answered in the first 3 or 4 replies. There have now been about 90 other replies having nothing to do with the OP’s question.

My suggestion is that the new section should be called “Contentious issues” and would certainly contain any thread to do with sharpening. In addition, once any thread goes way off topic, the thread should be locked and any subsequent discussions transferred to the Contentious Issues section.

This course of action would allow those who believe in free speech to continue to expound their views ad infinitum ad nauseam without involving those of us who just want to read a straightforward answer to a straightforward question.

And before anyone complains about the suggestion, this isn't censorship!

I half understand where you’re coming from, but if you were interested in the question and then saw the satisfactory answers why then continue reading the thread?
There will be readers who haven’t had the benefit (?) of all of the various viewpoints and at least they can continue to read without seeking a separate “Contentious Forum”.
A more pragmatic argument is that it would be a shed load more work for the moderators.

Speaking as a recent 'victim' I would say that I agree that when the thread goes 'off topic' it should be continued elsewhere.
I don't have a problem with the prolonged 'discussion' about whatever a saw nib is for but it was somewhat disapointing that whenever I checked the new posts in my thread for chat about my saw question it was more bickering about saw nibs.
I've only recently taken up woodworking and I am very grateful to all the knowledgeable contributers on this site but I can't help but feel that newcomers to the site might be put off by the level and tone of discussions lie that.

Steve

Shouldn't this thread be in Site Updates, News, Errors, Comments and Suggestions ?

Steliz":12o9cgid said:
Speaking as a recent 'victim' I would say that I agree that when the thread goes 'off topic' it should be continued elsewhere.
I don't have a problem with the prolonged 'discussion' about whatever a saw nib is for but it was somewhat disapointing that whenever I checked the new posts in my thread for chat about my saw question it was more bickering about saw nibs.
I've only recently taken up woodworking and I am very grateful to all the knowledgeable contributers on this site but I can't help but feel that newcomers to the site might be put off by the level and tone of discussions lie that.

Steve
To be fair Steve, you did ask what the nib was for which is what started the difference of opinion, unfortunately you didn't know that it had been thrashed out previously but was still festering and I guess you opened an old wound. I hadn't seen the other thread either.

Open forums are there to, in general allow freedom of expression within the rules and compared to some forums on other interests this one is very mild and well policed by the mods overall, if it wasn't then I would have left it years ago.

most intelligent members can pick the bones out of the posts and soon get to know those subjects and people they can't be bothered with and then avoid them. There are some very helpful and knowledgeable members here who are happy to share their wealth of experience which makes the forum such a valuable and free resource, but you already know that so don't be put off. :)

Student":19845w0s said:
Please can you set up a section that enables those who want to argue about topics such as whether a honing guide is any use or esoteric topics about nibs on saws can to do so to their heart’s content. This would enable those wanting to find the answer to a sensible question to do so without wading through page after page of off-topic replies.

Two cases in point, both in the Hand Tools section

On 2 July, Rob H asked what type of honing guide David Charlesworth was using in a video. The question was answered in the first 2 replies. There followed 100 further replies about the usefulness or otherwise of a honing guide.

On 10 June Steliz asked whether 4 saws were worth renovating. The question was answered in the first 3 or 4 replies. There have now been about 90 other replies having nothing to do with the OP’s question.

My suggestion is that the new section should be called “Contentious issues” and would certainly contain any thread to do with sharpening. In addition, once any thread goes way off topic, the thread should be locked and any subsequent discussions transferred to the Contentious Issues section.

This course of action would allow those who believe in free speech to continue to expound their views ad infinitum ad nauseam without involving those of us who just want to read a straightforward answer to a straightforward question.

And before anyone complains about the suggestion, this isn't censorship!

Hi, not really sure how your proposal would work as this is a forum - a pub, a meeting place, a chat room, a social gathering, call it it what you want. It's not some sort of question and answer facility where as soon as a moderator considered a question was satisfactorily addressed the thread would be closed and anybody with additional info or even a better answer would be barred from the thread. That would make little sense. And the work (and judgement) involved in creating new threads for "contentious" subjects would be enormous on a site this size (not that I think it would be a good idea in the first place). Being a forum the format invites a wealth of advice and information and most wood workers enjoy reading and discussing their hobby (and trade).

As mentioned earlier once you have an answer or explanation there's no need to read on, simply thank the contributor and move on. Regarding the long meandering threads, some can be very helpful and interesting. Others hold no interest personally for me therefore I don't read them.

This is a problem for all forums. (Yes, I do know the correct Latin grammar is fora).

So often useful conversations are padded out with off topic comments. What should moderators do? Where does cleaning up cross an invisible line and become censorship? Do we want our moderators to spend vast chunks of their lives reading inane comments, and deciding where to draw a line?

There are rare occasions where a moderator should edit a thread. It’s a time consuming decision as to when this should happen, it takes a lot of emotional energy, and it’s 100% certainty that someone will complain.

Right. I’m going to finish my wee dram and go to bed.

There'd be endless arguments about what constituted a contentious issue.
I agree that the long disputes can be tedious but they do thrash out topics in a thorough way and sometimes produce something worth waiting for!
People need to be less bad tempered, sarcastic etc as it just lowers the tone.

When people start arguing about what is a contentious issue, we really will disappear down the rabbit hole!

I don’t like the idea in the op. I’m all for a bit of debate and whimsy.

I also strongly oppose students suggestion, we need to allow healthy discussion and sometimes arguments, it's important.

Unless I have been asked a specific question, I NEVER go past page 2 in any thread. A normal thread can not be continued that long. its is guaranteed to have been hijacked at least twice.
Just move on.

Really shouldn't have done it, but I thought what the heck.
965c8814dedf5f1f567b2a801e545469.jpg

Next weekends gonna be epic !

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hey! Mr. Tambourine man, play a song for me, I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to...

ScaredyCat":29lxxf2n said:
Hey! Mr. Tambourine man, play a song for me, I'm not sleepy and there is no place I'm going to...

I hear you scaredycat ! I need to reel in my expenditure
eb3b0b99208bd3636701746ce2e06466.jpg

This saves dusting of thee old record player. Tiz bleedy good I tell thee ! Lol

Part of the enjoyment of viewing threads is watching one go adrift. Everything's connected to everything so tiz only natural to go astray

Back