A hand-tool tool chest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair, I don't think the original design on which Chris Schwarz's Dutch chest was based was intended to be 'portable' in the sense that a site carpenter or joiner would need. It's a workshop-based lockable store for tools, which could be moved by one or more people if the owner changed jobs or workshops, just as the 'traditional' cabinetmaker's toolchest is. It's just intended for a slightly less comprehensive, but still very useful, kit of tools.

The only reason CS lugs a toolchest around to the various classes he teaches is because he's teaching the usefulness of using a toolchest to keep your tools in, and how to make one. From his point of view, it's a tad easier than teaching the usefulness of a tool-wall....carting one of those around would be a logistical headache.

morfa":1dmx9j3z said:
I think I'll have to buy a PDF of the magazine. Basically it's dovetailed at the bottom and the shelfs are all rebated right? I'd found the medium link the other night, there's quite a few other folk who've built one.

From the article :

The shelf (or shelves) are held in dados, yes. Add a few strategically placed (and even dovetailed) nails and the sides aren't going anywhere soon.

Back is ship lapped or tongue and groove, nailed on.

Lid can be either a plank with battens on the inside or use breadboard (clamp joint) ends.

Front board at the bottom is a drop front, battens on the inside that act as the hooks to hold it. You drop in a bar (or bars) from the top that secure it behind the fixed board above. Not unlike many wooden and metal machinist/mechanic tool chests.

A few friends have made these and increased the height slightly to allow for a second shelf inside the lower compartment into which they added a drawer. A nice touch to make a home for lots of little bits and pieces. I've also seen one extra-large version with caster wheels that just lives in his shop full time. Not sure about the utility of the lower compartment in that one. Too low to the ground for my tastes.

I've also seen Chris' small version and he loads it rather light. Easy enough to carry around for one person, even easier with two. But definitely not something I'd want to carry on and off a job site every day.

Like I said, a fun build, not that much material and if you decide you don't like it in a year, sell it or cut it up and make new stuff from the bits. In the end it is just a box to hold tools.

Rob

Latest posts

Back