A few more pens,to start with!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
Well its been some time again since doing any turning but am getting back into the swing of things,slowly,so thought i would satrt off with some pens.
These blanks were glued up ages ago so thought they would be ideal to do to get my eye back in as it was,hopefuly??
Zebrano and Yew timbers used.

zebpenspp.jpg

yewpenspp.jpg

Got rid of some of that pent up frustration with those Paul, Glad you found all the bits for the lathe again.

Looking good. I had no idea Zebrano could be so dark, I've only seen the lighter stuff before. Every day is a school day.

Thanks all,it feels great to be turning again,almost forgot what to do :D
This Zebrano was bought from Yandles a few years ago now and i enjoy turning it and was lucky i think to geta piece with such varying colours in it?

Here is my first attempt at the Sierra style pen,which again i liked doing so will be doing some more of these in the future.
Not sure on what the timber is but think it might be Hawthorne??
What do you think of the bulbous body??

sierrapen.jpg

Paul,

The timber, who knows? If your hunch from that side of the lens is Hawthorne then you're probably right, the camera lens has altered the hue to give an accurate diagnosis little chance of success. As to the bulbous body, you asked, therefore I shall reply! Don't like it, but that's me, I like the Sierra with a continuous flow from the nib holder over the body to the top and I always make mine with a measurement of between 13.1 and 13.3mm tapering to the 12.15mm (I think from memory) of the adjacent pen parts.

I have never been a fan of the slimline as I think that it is too slim in the middle and ends up looking like a bunch of sausages, some like it, some don't and I'm a don't. If you turn a slimline using streamline bushings you can buy the centre bands separately that then give the body a bit of substance. That's just my preference though! Nicely turned throughout though and finished, especially on the zebrano.

Paul,

As Neil knows, I like to do my Sierra's witha bit of body to them, they sell more than the thinner ones.
Nothing wrong with it, like it a lot.

Thanks for your replies.
Neil-thank you for your honest reply.Reason i asked was that i was asked ages ago if i could do a larger,heavier style pen,but seeing as how i wasn't really into pens at the time i didn't.So when i tried the Sierra out i thought i would try it with the more bulbous body,but i agree the more slimmer look on these pens do look a lot better.
I have to disagree on the slimlines though as the ladies seem to like em.
What would you recommend for a heavier mens pen??

Roger i use Friction polish and Carnauba wax stick with the lathe at full speed when buffing the CW.
I did use Friction polish and Microcrystaline wax on the Sierra,just to see how that went??

Many thanks for that
I am about to go and have a play with the Pen kit I got from Rutlands before Christmas
And I didn't fancy trying the super glue finish
I'll post some pics good bad or indifferent on another thread later on

Roger

Hi Paul great to see you're back turning & some lovely pens to boot. =D>

Keep up the good work. :D

Best wishes.

The Pristina is a nice gents pen, although the ladies like it too.
One of the nicest rollerballs out there and only about $9-95 Aus dollars from Timberbits.
The Broadwell Nouveau is another nice gents pen, lovely with a burr on but expensive, £25 + from Pencrafts in Glasgow

Paul.J":39nwxobm said:
Thanks for your replies.
Neil-thank you for your honest reply.Reason i asked was that i was asked ages ago if i could do a larger,heavier style pen,but seeing as how i wasn't really into pens at the time i didn't.So when i tried the Sierra out i thought i would try it with the more bulbous body,but i agree the more slimmer look on these pens do look a lot better.
I have to disagree on the slimlines though as the ladies seem to like em.
What would you recommend for a heavier mens pen??

For a larger or heavier pen I like the executive sierra, many sources - I get mine from Timberbits. It is actually the same weight as the sierra and size be it a mill or two different but looks more masculine due to the square top. Again from Timberits is the Senior Gents, otherwise sold as Chairmans pens are a good size rollerball or fountain pen. I played Rugby and have arthiritis in my hands as a result of getting my hands mashed regularly and wanted a large pen and turned a Chairmans/Sn Gents to a dim of 16mm. Everybody liked it and it flew off the stall. These are very popular with both men and ladies who aren't too conscious about what others will think if they (ladies) are using such a large pen. Others include the cigar, a good weighty pen, or the phoenix from Woodturningz - I think Stiles and Bates might sell them, a bit ornate but still a good weight, a moderately popular seller.

Back