A challenge to Philly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think for those who aren't interested in the thread should not put down others who are, for me being a newbie it's quite an eye-opening and informative thread regarding tools.

And i'm also finding this thread entertaining, its the voyeur in all of us thats enjoys peaking into each others lives.

Just my two peneth worth.

Keep it up!

So, Alf, are we going to see some pics of your saws & planes?

trevtheturner":3q5tabbv said:
Just a word of support for Adam here. For me, the only meaningful posting in this thread is his excellent series of pics. demonstrating a variety of different planes being actually used for some of their respective purposes. =D>
Although, as is so often said, each to his own of course.
Cheers, Trev.
Quite so, and me too. But we do often have pics of at least projects. Meaning has, well, different meaning to different folks.

This thread has meaning to me. Just a different one. And I don't know whether Adam jumped into this thread as a way to have some fun or pure criticism. But his jab, I believe, was still a fun way of providing perspective for us all.

Mike

trevtheturner":iuf1itnl said:
Just a word of support for Adam here. For me, the only meaningful posting in this thread is his excellent series of pics. demonstrating a variety of different planes being actually used for some of their respective purposes. =D>
Took me ages to get all those links together, even with broadband :cry: , and Adam gets the plaudits for obscuring all his planes with shavings so we still don't know what he has. :roll: :lol:

Byron, if you can stand more boorishness, gloating and general evidence that I have tools instead of holidays, follow the link for dial-up users on that same Page 4, go up a level via the link above the thumbnails and you can go "tut tut" at all sorts of bits and pieces. Although some things have been sold, or <gasp> added to since I took the pics; principally amongst the saws. And no, I don't have a pad saw fetish; someone wanted further clarification. :)

Cheers, Alf

Hi Alf, tis a Spear & Jackson. 3 1/2" of clearance under the handle.

saws_0006a.jpg

By contrast my D-8 rip with 5 1/2 ppi, for which I am making a new Mahagony handle, is 3". And my Warren & Ted Superior (Pearlicross etch, quite nice looking), also a 5 1/2 ppi, is a lighter weight design though quite stiff for its size is 2 1/2" under the handle.

Both the D-8 and Pearlicross are 26" saws and the S&J is a 28".

Ack, wish I'd floated my "is it British" reaction to those nuts* now, instead of sitting on for fear of looking more daft than usual. Drat. 'Nother new handle eh? You're getting addicted. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

*If any reader has over-dosed on double entendre and feels they must, then you must. But I'd sooner you didn't. [-X :lol:

Lighten up around here :wink: This is simply people displaying tools that have taken years to collect for others interested in the same stuff to look at - not really boorish or showing off (well maybe a bit).
My collection of handplanes is no differnet to Festools etc. that regularly appear in the background of piccies :D

Noel, it's not really fair to talk about the money, all of my planes put together cost a lot less than many people's tablesaws that are regularly discussed and photographed in their packing cases, then coming off the lorry, then the first box removed, then the second............ I buy handplanes, they buy tablesaws. Fine by me

I'll never buy a Festool saw and cannot for-the-life-of-me understand why anyone would pay £400 for a circular saw :shock: and I'm sure many will not buy LN planes- each to their own, however, those that will might find my post useful in some small way

Whenever members of this forum have visited my house (6 so far), the first thing they say is "where's the workshop then?" Immediately after this, they usually reach for a LN to look at/play with. We all like the same thing in various guises

If you don't like the thread, why read it? I don't read the ones that talk about areas of woodworking that don't interest me (or, to be more thruthful, I didn't until I became a moderator and had to :roll: )

Trev, be happy to display pictures of my planes in use (they are every week) just as soon as I grow that 3rd arm (or buy a tripod) :lol: :wink:

Please refrain from critising threads that you don't like, just don't read them

The cost of tools can be daunting. This mostly applies to never been owned tools. Tools that have been previously loved can often be had for oh so much less. At least if one is not attempting to purchase what others think of as collectibles. Good user tools is what I'm talking about.

And even tools some consider having value to a collector happen along the way for often a reasonable price, and often less than their new counterparts.

Whether I am cheap, or whether there holds for me a romantic attachment with tools that have a history to them, I don't know. Mostly it is a romantic thing, I think.

The D-8 has only cost me a bit of elbow grease and a 10" scrap of wood and the Pearlicross was < $10. The S&J was had for less than not going to the movies a couple times. My other saws were either free or less than $2. Except the LN. Seems DT saws that have had other lives no matter the maker can go for what I consider too much money.

Other new tools have often been gifts over the years from my children, Dina, or other family members who long ago realized not to buy me a tie or socks. And even some of the older tools have been given me from older members of my family. Tools that have sentimental meaning to me.

Point being is that I have had a lot of time to accumulate tools. Many free or extremely low cost ones have passed through the shop with the better ones being invited to stay. The rest, whether they have been saws, planes, marking tools or whatever, have been restored and passed along to others who had less than two dimes to rub together. Some have gone to new members of the woodworking guild to which I belong, others have been passed along to people attending free-to-them classes I teach at local places like Woodcraft or Rockler, and yet others to members of forums. Some I have sold.

Most often the advice given a new person on forums is: seek out a vintage X, Y or Z. The advice is given for more than just saving the inquirer money. That, but also because old tools work well with a bit of care put into them--usually as good as a new tool of good lineage. Too, we as woodworkers who revive old tools tend to want to see others experience what we so often do: the joy of accomplishing a restoration and subsequent use.

Woodworking isn't about who can spend what to accumulate. It isn't even all about what I make or what you make. Not for me anyway. The web has done more for extending the concept of community than any single other means. It is the idea of community that I found on the web just this year. It is what keeps me on the web. That we sometimes have differences, well, that's just part of being a family who cares.

Mike
No wine was consumed in the production of this mini-rant

Alf":qsreotn5 said:
... 'Nother new handle eh? You're getting addicted. :lol:
Cheers, Alf
Had to. Free tools sometimes come with a price--the handle was broken.

But I have enjoyed makin' 'em. And the D-8 is a challenge for two reasons. It is a closed top, and the end buried in the handle is about a 7" radius so the kerf for it must also be cut into the handle to match.

Fun! Can't wait. Seriously. No sarcasm there. Probably the most challenging thing I've done in, well weeks or longer.

Mike

Alf":4evh7bm0 said:
MikeW":4evh7bm0 said:
Fun! Can't wait. Seriously.
Ah, so you haven't started it yet? Can I plead for work in progress pics? 'Specially how you solve the closed top issue? Please? [-o< :D
Sure. Probably begin today. It won't be an exact replica. There was enough missing at the weak spot on the bottom of the handle I kinda am making that part up. Also, a D-8 finger opening is smallish. One really has to use the index finger hole even if one's hands are of medium size.

The method used to cut the kerf is one that's been around for a long time. The assumption is that Disston used a circular saw of 1/32" kerf. A little thin.

So the method I'll use is...to be continued...

Alf, your collection of planes is superb, and looking at them all in one place, and basing it on asthetics only, the Lee Valley's in my opinion deftinily look the classiest. I've recently ordered the LA Jack, really looking forward to playing (using) it.

I also really like your pic-tutorial of the Spokeshave kit tutorial, i'm definitly thinking of having a go myself.

This is a great thread people, very informative/entertaining.

I don't have much to gloat with, but here is my photo-library showing a couple of in-progress guitar builds and some shots of my small modest tool collection:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/byronblack/

I also won this saw today:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

MikeW":wf4ni7jg said:
The method used to cut the kerf is one that's been around for a long time. The assumption is that Disston used a circular saw of 1/32" kerf. A little thin.
So I gather, but I want to see how you do it. :D

Byron, you have some excellent work to gloat with, as well as New Tools. I wouldn't know where to start to make any sort of musical instrument - except perhaps wrapping paper round a comb :oops: Funny, I was just looking at your pics and thinking "spokeshave"... :twisted: Nice gent's saw too; I used to have a nice Cockerill dovetail saw which I often regret selling, and I believe Derek has one he likes a good deal too. Now why do I have a feeling they were a name used by Spear and Jackson? :-k

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the kind words about my current projects alf, these are both my first real wood-working project other than knocking up a few shelves and garden gates etc. They have turned out pretty straight-forward so far, apart from an accident with a scarf-joint.

I've ordered the spokeshave kit and will be doing that for my next project. I need a spokeshave to carve the profile on the guitar necks and would rather make one than spend twice as much for a finished project, and after reading your tutorial, it seems 'do-able'.

The gents-saw is for cutting the fret-slots in the fingerboard, that will probably be the hardest job, but once that little saw is cleaned up and sharpened, it should be a tad easier.

Very cool Byron! I keep telling myself I want to make an instrument, but of course I keep chickening out. Keep us updated, please.

And the saw is pretty neat, too!

Mike

Alf":3atjkl3c said:
MikeW":3atjkl3c said:
So I gather, but I want to see how you do it. :D
Cheers, Alf
Oh just before the email I finished cleaning off my bench and set up the tripod...there'll be plenty of pics from selecting the blank to sharpening the saw and taking it for a test run.

Probably take me all weekend now :lol:

The work you, Derek and others go through to document something is easy to loose sight of--until one does it him/herself. So before I bid y'all adieu, thanks to each one of you who does it for taking the time.

Mike

MikeW":k621q3p7 said:
Probably take me all weekend now :lol:
That'll teach you to mention free saws then. :wink: :lol: Seriously though, if it's a pain, forget I asked. I'll forgive you. In a year or two... :wink:

Funny, I keep having a hankering to do a WIP/in-depth with pics on something at the moment, but just the writing it, not actually doing it. Very odd feeling; never had that before. Wish I could bottle it for when I need it. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Oh no. Can't stop now...

No, no problem. I was going to record and write about it anyway. I figured with all the talk here and WoodNet and SMC about sharpening saws, making handles and handsaw use, it would be nice to contribute something more than a "see what I made" post.

'Course, can't promise it'll be worth the wait. So you better get out to the shop and make something. Anything. And record it. How about some chisel handles for any needy chisels you may have? Ah, done before and too simple.

So better yet (at least for me) would be to select a molding profile and make a few foot long replica using a boat anchor! Document that. I've only seen one decent record of someone actually doing it. That would be especially good for the people who have recently purchased one on the forum, be a good thing for us all...even the ones who won't admit to owning one :lol:

Mike

MikeW":2eifyz86 said:
So better yet (at least for me) would be to select a molding profile and make a few foot long replica using a boat anchor!
Hey, I can do a side bead. :lol: Actually that could be quite fun; there are a couple of examples in Planecraft I could do that are within the limitations of my #405 :-k Whether they're within my limitations is another matter. Wonder if I have a suitably boat anchor-friend bit of timber... Although I've just remembered this, which is a pretty tough act to follow. 8-[

Cheers, Alf

Squabbles aside :p ......the missus(insurance broker manager) who has just peeked over my shoulder whilst reading this thread is wondering if any of you guys/gals are covered by your insurance policies.....due to the value of your C********S.......sorry users :D

Just thought we'd ask as it's something to be thought about if the local tealeaf took a shine to them or perish the thought fire or flood trashed your C********N

Cheers

Latest posts

Back