A challenge to Philly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeW":2f5m57nf said:
And besides, Alf. I should think you're in a worse pickle than I. It would take a good day just for me to pull things out of their, uh, resting places, do the arranging for pics, take and process them. Then it would take longer to put them all back.
You've put your finger on the biggest single reason for not doing it. :oops: :lol: Plus it'd only depress and embarrass me to see so much steel still waiting to be de-rusted, re-handled, fettled, tuned and generally codwangled. :oops:

Derek, what's the little dark-handled jobbie on the left of the beech-handled cabinetmaker's screwdrivers?

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2gwx6rar said:
...snip...
Derek, what's the little dark-handled jobbie on the left of the beech-handled cabinetmaker's screwdrivers?

Cheers, Alf

Looks remarkably like a small pump action spiral ratchet to me Alf
would one of those be allowed in such a line up?

Where the hell does aladdin sleep or does he travel from Perth to Poole getting confused where he is.
:whistle: :whistle: :eek:ccasion5:
Les

les chicken":1zbhgln5 said:
Where the hell does aladdin sleep or does he travel from Perth to Poole getting confused where he is.
:whistle: :whistle: :eek:ccasion5:
Les

In his Cave of course.

(whether that is in Pool or Perth I would not care to express an opinion, judging by the racket Philly must have been making to satisfy the impending mag articles he may be down under for a bit of piece and quiet at the moment.) :whistle:

Alf":id3cwckn said:
MikeW":id3cwckn said:
And besides, Alf. I should think you're in a worse pickle than I. It would take a good day just for me to pull things out of their, uh, resting places, do the arranging for pics, take and process them. Then it would take longer to put them all back.
You've put your finger on the biggest single reason for not doing it. :oops: :lol: Plus it'd only depress and embarrass me to see so much steel still waiting to be de-rusted, re-handled, fettled, tuned and generally codwangled. :oops:
Cheers, Alf
Well, all but one plane is complete. A couple saws could use new handles. But that's about it. But I had so many that have hardly seen the light of day. Which is why I'm thinning things a bit.

My wife has always set clothes to one side of the closet she hasn't worn for a while. If she doesn't then wear one of the items, she gets rid of it.

That's what I've been doing, but with the tools. Kind of "liberating," really. By next month I figure I'll be down to tools I've used at least more than once in a couple years. Doesn't matter whether it's a power or hand tool. Certain tools are also being added, but that is for replacing power tools with hand ones even if the tool is a frequently used one.

I finally have made the decision. Several power tools are going up for sale. The Powermatic 54A Jointer is going, as well as the Powermatic 719 mortiser. And one router. And...

Then I can truly assess my tool storage issues and then design something appropriate.

Take care.

Mike
going on my third day without sleep...

Come on Philly, as chairman of the guild of Dorsetshire lads (committee members Martin & Waka), hope your not going to let the side down? you have a duty to uphold our reputation.

We've beat them at rugby, we've beaten them at cricket, surely you can beat them at tool displays, I know you have more hidden away.

Alf, it is a little Stanley Yankee #15. I wish I had a few more in larger sizes, they are so useful. Unlike the large #135, #130 and #30 Yankee spiral screwdivers (which you might be able to make out in the original picture), the little #15 is a reverse/forward action with a twist of the wrist and does not spiral.

... I had so many that have hardly seen the light of day. Which is why I'm thinning things a bit.

My wife has always set clothes to one side of the closet she hasn't worn for a while. If she doesn't then wear one of the items, she gets rid of it.

Mike, I do identify with that. I'm not much of a hoarder, and I also think there comes a time when you just want to concentrate on the woodwork at hand (rather than the tools). Having said that, I do enjoy "playing" with the tools as well, that is, the opportunity to experience each one and their individuality. So I enjoy the variety, try and use all, but have a special affinity for a few.

Anyway Mike, I know you have some special items that would be of interst to us all, so let's have them. I am very curious to see how you manage to fit everything into your work space.

Otherwise the tailed routers are gonna come out and then its gonna get dirty!

Oooh, Philly - you have me quivering in my boots! :D

As a matter of interest, just how many tailed routers do you have? As many as your mentor Norm?

Mike was saying how he is getting rid of his power tools. I find this interesting since I am aware that my power tools have become used very selectively. I use my tablesaw and bandsaw but my routers and routertable have gone unused in a .... oh I don't know when I last used them, could be several months ago. And I have 4 of the blighters - one permanently in the routertable (built into my tablesaw), a large Elu 177e (which is a pretty special beast), a smaller Makita for hand held use, etc. I don't own a power jointer or thicknesser. I just don't like the noise and dust these things make. I have some excellent sanders, like a Festool ROS, but it was last used at least a year ago.. or more. These tools really should be sold.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quiver not, Derek! :lol:
Just had a quick count-7!! Well you can never have enough routers. Or is that clamps.........
I must admit I get a bit concerned sometimes that I have too many tools that I never use. Gave a Stanley 5 1/2 away last week to a work mate and felt a lot better! :wink:
Don't think I could live without my thicknesser-just too much hard work (regardless of how much fun the scrub is to use!)
best regards
Philly :D

SP
They go for stupid money on Ebay so have been waiting for a Philly-priced one to turn up. As the new super-doopa LV is imminent I guess I'll be going for that! :wink:
Cheers

Philly, they do go for stupid money perhaps when the super-doopa LV comes on the market ebay price will drop who knows?

Waited long enough for the one I got at a tidy price.

...Anyway Mike, I know you have some special items that would be of interst to us all, so let's have them.
I haven't the foggiest idea of which ones you mean :? ...But I would be glad to take pics of specific ones if you give me more of a hint.
I am very curious to see how you manage to fit everything into your work space.
One of the problems is I cannot get a decent angle within the shop for pictures. Everything is a bit too close. And it isn't pretty! I'll see what I can do after it is tidied up a bit. It is a real mess at the moment. After my router bit coming apart last week I had only two days to build the 5 replica medicine cabinets. Last sleep, until last night, was Saturday. Still recovering. I didn't clean a thing...but it is slated for today.
...Mike was saying how he is getting rid of his power tools. I find this interesting since I am aware that my power tools have become used very selectively.
SNIP
These tools really should be sold.
Regards from Perth
Derek
So, sell 'em :lol: . Really that's what I'm doing. All of what I'm selling either isn't used much (one of my routers) to used frequently (54A) but I plan on using hand methods for flattening instead of a mix based on how much someone is paying. The WoodRat is staying, as is the bandsaw, a contractor model table saw, drill press, etc. Along with sanders. Really, it is just the big iron that's going.

As for hand tools that have or are going, well, I too have enjoyed using every hand tool that I purchased or was given. I've had fun selecting tools to give to people I know who have wanted or need. Some will get sold as I don't know anyone foolish enough that would want one of my boat anchors <g>.

And it isn't really not about the space that's the issue. I just feel that it has become more of an internal (in my mind, that is) burden than what it should be, having all this stuff around and not really used. This also applies to unused audio equipment (lots <g>), furnishings and good clothing, etc.

There will still be one or two hand tools left for my use.

Mike

Not in your league, I know but....

I use them all regularly (except #778) and feel that I have now reached the stage where I have all I need or want - time to build a cabinet (I have the oak for it :wink: ) - and i thought it was about time we put some sublime LNs on here :lol:

All.jpg

LN_Bench.jpg

LV_jointer.jpg

LN_block.jpg

Records.jpg

Spokes.jpg

Stanley.jpg

Chisels.jpg

Wall.jpg

Most excellent, Tony!

Nice set of tools. Better build your cabinet--that way I can have another one to look at before I make new ones...

Mike

Phil,
I notice from one of your earlier photo's, like me you have one of Axminster Japanese Kumagoro (sp?) Saws. I was just intrigued to know whether you use it and what are your opinions of it.

Philly":s9wfyyhm said:
Nice one Tony! That the new 5 1/2??? 8)

The light coloured handles give it away eh? :lol:

Did you notice that rather nice plane at the front :whistle:

Derek, baie mooi versameling! :D :D :D :D

(By the way, Derek is NOT an Oz, but comes from ...... yeah well no fine hey, will just leave it at that)

Just a silly question, but what does one actually do with the Noah Tools???
(now duck for cover!)

Just remember - "He who dies with the most tools WINS!"
:D :D

I haven't the foggiest idea of which ones you mean ...But I would be glad to take pics of specific ones if you give me more of a hint.

Mike, I know you have some nice infills, and there is that Marples (?) smoother that you often talk about. Hey, I'd love to see a picture of your wood storage area - the linen closet that you have mentioned before!

Not in your league, I know but....

Tony, not in whose league. Good grief, now I don't feel so bad!

By the way, Derek is NOT an Oz, but comes from ......

Jaco, well I have lived in Oz for the past 25 years so I think of myself as a Dinki-di Aussie. But I am a bit of a mongrel. Born and raised in Cape Town, and with family mostly from the UK. Maar ek kan nog die taal praat.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Back