3 piece loft ladder, how to lubricate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Loft ladder, 3 sections, over time friction is becoming annoying and hard work.
What can I use to lubricate one section rubbing against the 'channel' of the one above please?

what is it made of? I tend to use candlewax to lubricate things like drawers and they are super slidey once its buffed a bit.

Is there room to fit in some thin plastic to separate the alloy on alloy ?
Those thin flexible kitchen cutting mats for example. Even plastic milk bottle.
I had to bodge my loft ladder as there isn't space horizontally for the normal up and over hinging mechanism to work.
The ladder "stores" at a 45 degree angle with a batten to guide it up and down and a big sprung hook to hold it when it's pushed up into the loft. I faced the guiding batten with uhmwpe slick strip as the ladder rungs rub along it. It works well.

Is there room to fit in some thin plastic to separate the alloy on alloy ?
Those thin flexible kitchen cutting mats for example. Even plastic milk bottle.
I had to bodge my loft ladder as there isn't space horizontally for the normal up and over hinging mechanism to work.
The ladder "stores" at a 45 degree angle with a batten to guide it up and down and a big sprung hook to hold it when it's pushed up into the loft. I faced the guiding batten with uhmwpe slick strip as the ladder rungs rub along it. It works well.
Good idea.. I doubt it, but I'll look.
This one hinges up into the loft - though not sprung.

I've ordered some ptfe spray - thanks folks.
See how that works. I guess I'll have to clean off the other gunk first. Probably that that is making it stiff!

Not trying to be clever here, but replace it with a wooden folding one. I did, and although I don't go up often when I do it's a much better experience and as I get older I might manage a few more years getting up there with the wider treads. The whole getting it down thing is much better too.

Not trying to be clever here, but replace it with a wooden folding one. I did, and although I don't go up often when I do it's a much better experience and as I get older I might manage a few more years getting up there with the wider treads. The whole getting it down thing is much better too.
1. Cost - makes no sense.
2. Weight? wood vs Al? I am 'old' (my definition).
3. Only have one rafter width - I doubt a wider ladder would fit?

Before you spray on the PTFE I would give the surfaces a good clean. As others have said if it has had grease or other 'wet' lubricants dirt will have turned it into a mild grinding paste.

1. Cost - makes no sense.
2. Weight? wood vs Al? I am 'old' (my definition).
3. Only have one rafter width - I doubt a wider ladder would fit?
1) Of course there is a cost but whether it makes sense is the individuals decision.
2) it's cantilevered spring to balance the weight unlike the snaggy aluminium things
3)terminology when I said width I suppose I should have said depth front to back.

It was only an idea trying to help

Fitting a similar product was one of the first things I did when I moved into my current property - it needed the 'hatch' enlarged but worth every penny.

I have used thin PTFE sheet between some stiff large drawers that helped a lot you can get a 600mm x 300mm x 0.25mm sheet to cut for about £8 and Companies such as Loctite® and 3M® have now developed a special acrylic based adhesive that can bond directly to PTFE without the need for preparation other than a preliminary wipe with a cleaning solvent.

I installed a 3 section wood loft ladder about 6 years ago. The wider depth treads are a godsend now. I didn't buy this one from Screwfix, but it is similar. https://www.screwfix.com/p/3-sections-insulated-timber-loft-ladder-kit-2-77m/972fh

Mind you I am getting on a bit now and I wouldn't want to fit a new loft ladder now. I should have done it as a two man job but I didn't and realised that it was big weight to lift it up too late! But it works brilliant.

It has definitely been worth the money as it is so much easier to go up and down safely on the treads.

I installed a 3 section wood loft ladder about 6 years ago. The wider depth treads are a godsend now. I didn't buy this one from Screwfix, but it is similar. https://www.screwfix.com/p/3-sections-insulated-timber-loft-ladder-kit-2-77m/972fh

Mind you I am getting on a bit now and I wouldn't want to fit a new loft ladder now. I should have done it as a two man job but I didn't and realised that it was big weight to lift it up too late! But it works brilliant.

It has definitely been worth the money as it is so much easier to go up and down safely on the treads.
Understood.
The one I have has ... reasonable treads. OK, bit hard when pushing suitcases up though.
Being light it's not bad to shove up / collapse down - much easier when lubed though.

Ptfe spray on the way - I'll degrease first though. Will report back

Back