2nd turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suprasport

Established Member
Reaction score
here is attempt number 2.

pen1.JPG

pen2.JPG

think i need practice with a camera as well :shock:

2nd turning!!!! Yeah right.... My second turning was literally firewood.
Go on admit it, you've dome this in a previous life :lol:
Pete

nope i have never touched a lathe in my life other than metalwork at school, infact when it all turned up this morning i thougt axminter had sent me a present when i saw one of the boxes as it was to big for anything i had ordered, but when opened it turned out to be the chisels, i was gobsmacked at the size of them, dont really know what i expected but kept away from the miniature ones thinking they would be tiny :lol:
actually i have never touched a router or a bandsaw before this last couple of month either, even though i have always owned a router i never used it. Think i bought a black and decker one 15 years ago that just rusted away.

anyway here is number 3. I am really pleased with this because i thought it would just drop to bits it was crumbling when i was drilling it, but i managed to keep it in one piece and i kept coating it superglue, yet another tip from you guys, but you forgot to mention about it burning my bloody fingers when it dried and got hot :lol: :lol:

pen3.jpg

Roast pork smells good... at the first whiff, move your fingers away :p

Nice work!

Well supra i think that you have been missing out if you can produce work like this for your first attempts.Well done.
Don't get wearing the lathe out though :wink:
Paul.J.

i'm loving it, it is so relaxing. i am going to have a go at the banksia nuts tommorrow but i havent a clue where to start and cannot find any info on them either other than i have been warned to wear a mask.
How would i start with one of these. ie. mounting it on the lathe ?

suprasport":37xnbm85 said:
i'm loving it, it is so relaxing. i am going to have a go at the banksia nuts tommorrow but i havent a clue where to start and cannot find any info on them either other than i have been warned to wear a mask.

Banksia nuts - the devil's contribution to wood turners.. :lol:

Only done one (that was enough),but trimmed the ends on the bandsaw to give enough of a flat surface to be able to mount it between centres on the lathe.
Then,when you start turning them,it's like being shot at by pebbledash - the outside layer comes off and goes everywhere; underneath is a furry layer that goes everywhere
After that,they aren't so bad :wink: (hope I haven't put you off)

Andrew

PowerTool":3linr0ts said:
suprasport":3linr0ts said:

Banksia nuts - the devil's contribution to wood turners.. :lol:

Only done one (that was enough),but trimmed the ends on the bandsaw to give enough of a flat surface to be able to mount it between centres on the lathe.
Then,when you start turning them,it's like being shot at by pebbledash - the outside layer comes off and goes everywhere; underneath is a furry layer that goes everywhere
After that,they aren't so bad :wink: (hope I haven't put you off)

Andrew

PMSL :lol: :lol: so all in all not bad then

PowerTool":364j24t1 said:
They aren't that bad - everyone should try at least one :lol:

In fact,this recent thread had some very nice examples of what you can do with them.

Andrew

ermmm think i am out of my depth there, but out of curiosity and if any of you have the patience to keep answering these silly questions how would you hollow them out, it looks like catch 22 from here.

hello and welcome supra!
well arn't we the natural then! very well done on the pens so far, keep it up, and remember it doesnt matter how silly you think your questions are we have all been there at some stage, and indeed some of us still are! lol look forward to your next turnings!

atb dave

Hello suprasport
I have only had my lathe for about a week now and was very interested with the pens you made.
What place did you get all the bits to make them please.
Are they in the uk?
How easy hard was it to do?
How much money to lay out?

caretaker":20jtd1ac said:
Hello suprasport
I have only had my lathe for about a week now and was very interested with the pens you made.
What place did you get all the bits to make them please.
Are they in the uk?
How easy hard was it to do?
How much money to lay out?

hiya, i got all the bits from axminster, and they are relatively easy. you need a mandrel £19 a trimmer i think was £5 and then the kits which are from £2 upwards to £7 but be careful which pens you choose as some need extra bushings for the mandrel at £4+ so £30 should set you up really Oh! and a 7mm lip and spur bit £2 if yu havent got one. you ned to set up a tiny jig to hold the blanks square in the drill press while you drill through the centres :wink:

="suprasport
ermmm think i am out of my depth there, but out of curiosity and if any of you have the patience to keep answering these silly questions how would you hollow them out, it looks like catch 22 from here.

Hi Supra

420013817_30db9e8506.jpg

Sorry no WIP pics - maybe soon.
First I take a largish Banksia, good size diameter and length. Slice off the ends on the band saw - good to have a sled to hold them level. Fix between centres and round off into a cylinder. Bits will fly off all over the place and they hurt. Gloves and a mask are a good idea. The roughing gouge will blunt quite quickly also. Underneath the hard exterior is a mixture of sound wood and red fluff. Turn down to a reasonable amount of sound wood, but don't worry if there are inclusions of fluff.
I then turn a spigot at each end to fit my chuck, and part in the centre to give me two blanks, each with a spigot at one end.

I then chuck the blank and shape the outside surface, leaving enough space at the chuck end to turn a finial.

Then I actually use a 1 inch drill with a morse #2 taper that I picked up for £1 at a steam rally to bore a hole into it with a reasonable depth. Hollowing out the centre I use a scraper, only because I don't have a small diameter swan necked hollowing tool. There's many ways to skin a cat. You do have to be a bit careful because as it gets thinner the blank gets fragile. Also, the bits that surround the characteristic holes may well fly out making even larger holes. You can see that in the above pic. You can glue them all in, but life's too short.
When it is satisfactorily thin, (or you have started the second blank because the first disintegrated!) flatten the end around the hole. I then dismount the nut and take a small piece of other wood - box in this case and turn a matching spigot to the hole.
Remount the nut and glue the box spigot into the hole with superglue. Use the tailstock to support. Wait until thoroughly dry (or glue will be hurtling out all over your glasses) and then turn the bottom or top finial out of the box - whichever is your preference. You can finish the outside of the orb then, blending in the join, and sanding if necessary. I keep the tailstock on it until I part off.
Finish off the finial at the other end, or just round it off like a ball. Before parting apply your usual finish etc. Be careful with a cloth snagging in the holes, especially if you have loose 'hole surrounds'.
You can also do it the other way round - when turning the box spigot, leave it on the lathe and then glue the nut to it, and turn that way - if you want a round ball with a finial at only one end then it's easier that way.

I haven't seen any of these anywhere else, as far as I know I invented them. LOML likes to give them as Christmas presents to family and friends - so start now........

Hi Shaun,
I think I will have a little trip out tomorrow to Axminster (100 miles each way) if I can get round the wife, I will offer her lunch at West Bay.
Is there anything else that I may need, or you can recommend.
Any tips.

Latest posts

Back