2012 February Challenge ( discussion thread )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can the ball be drilled? Only a smallish hole!

philb88":3qxq51u6 said:

You are allowed to drill holes , any size and angle , any amount, as long as it is for construction purposes only and not for decorative features

Just checking the ball was included in this! No more question hopefully!!

Blister":1g2bxf4v said:
philb88":1g2bxf4v said:

You are allowed to drill holes , any size and angle , any amount, as long as it is for construction purposes only and not for decorative features

Sorry Mr Blister sir... just want to make sure mine will be judged when it's finished!!!

The any angle bit.... does this mean the ball can be supported from any angle.... back, sides ect or are we limited to suspended from top or bottom?

Right brain bender this one!

I have started mine too, well I thought about it, does that count ????

Well, I've done a ball, plus two other bits. One further part is partly complete and there are a number of others which are planned but not started - I just hope I can be ready on time as I have a very busy schedule over the next two weeks.

Mike

I seriously thought I would finish on the 1st .......let's just say I 've found this the most intriguing challenge yet!

Overall I don't think the 'here's a reject' thread are really appropriate - don't get me wrong none of those so far have created issues - but I would like to think that we might have some after the event this time. I can post to that!

:D tada.. my ball is suspended! i have marked ready on the scoreboard, so i guess we no longer need to post here we are ready?

jumps":2xvenfop said:
...Overall I don't think the 'here's a reject' thread are really appropriate

going by my own pile of attempts We'd need a bigger page! #-o

Blister":6z2i7zlr said:
Not started my entry yet :oops:

Its too Bl--dy cold

I braved the cold to start on my balls as it were. 5 x 4" balls done - none useable due to rotten cavity running hrough the centre of the first 3 i started, one had too much tear out, wood just too powdery, finally made what I thought was a good one only to see it cracking every which way within minutes of finishing it! :(

Given up and trudged back indoors for a warm. It will have to keep til next weekend!

Wood spoiler":2yrbxalt said:
Blister":2yrbxalt said:
Not started my entry yet :oops:

Its too Bl--dy cold

I braved the cold to start on my balls as it were. 5 x 4" balls done - none useable due to rotten cavity running hrough the centre of the first 3 i started, one had too much tear out, wood just too powdery, finally made what I thought was a good one only to see it cracking every which way within minutes of finishing it! :(

Given up and trudged back indoors for a warm. It will have to keep til next weekend!

ha - the ball was the easy bit........

personally this has been 'the best challenge yet', even if I don't get to the finishing line at the end of the month.

it's encompassed the widest design brief, whilst retaining a clear focal element
it's permitted lot's of things, whilst fundamentally retaining wood as wood via lathe
even the picture requirement has delivered a suble limitation; as i found out with one of my 'attempts'

so, whilst it may be cold in Essex, take warmth from a challenge well delivered Mr Blister =D> =D> =D>

jumps":15u7m9sk said:
...even the picture requirement has delivered a subtle limitation;

WHATS THAT :shock: ? go back , re-read brief, #-o slap self around head, bang head on door several times and repeat out loud 'READ THE BLOOMIN INSTRUCTIONS' , until missus comes in and asks whats up? then calls you an eejit whilst walking away shaking her head in disappointment! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

yes, I've already assembled mine and i used glue! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :evil:
:sign3: :sign3: :sign3:

nev":3umklv6q said:
jumps":3umklv6q said:
...even the picture requirement has delivered a subtle limitation;

WHATS THAT :shock: ? go back , re-read brief, #-o slap self around head, bang head on door several times and repeat out loud 'READ THE BLOOMIN INSTRUCTIONS' , until missus comes in and asks whats up? then calls you an eejit whilst walking away shaking her head in disappointment! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

yes, I've already assembled mine and i used glue! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :evil:
:sign3: :sign3: :sign3:

Dare one ask

Nev - How did the trial run go!? :-({|= :-" :-" :-$

Oh Nev................ #-o and :roll: and :tool: get well soon...........!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back