2012 February Challenge ( discussion thread )

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha this is a great spec, I've got something in mind... No idea if it 'right' but it should be fun to make!

I understand what is required.

However, in recent months it has become the pratice to have a judges comment on what he is looking for and how it will be judged. No such comment attaching this month.

It would be helpful to be given guidance eg is it judged on art merits, construction techniques, woods used, purely turning techniques employed, all of or none of the above, etc. ....

Another question on the rulings for Feb., is inside out turning OK. ?? I haven't done any of that for a long time now and would like to have a practice !.

Leo

Wood spoiler":edglar2x said:
I understand what is required.

However, in recent months it has become the pratice to have a judges comment on what he is looking for and how it will be judged. No such comment attaching this month.

It would be helpful to be given guidance eg is it judged on art merits, construction techniques, woods used, purely turning techniques employed, all of or none of the above, etc. ....

Hi , I sent a request to Richard on 32st Jan asking for his criteria , I had the following reply at 9am today

Hi Allen

I think you've got it pretty well covered there. I guess it is worth saying that I will be looking for creativity in meeting the brief, quality of the execution including "roundness" of the ball and quality of finish and appropriate use of the timber.

If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Cheers

Richard

I will now add Richards comments to the Rules and requirements

Leo":1v8dkio8 said:
Another question on the rulings for Feb., is inside out turning OK. ?? I haven't done any of that for a long time now and would like to have a practice !.

Leo

As Richard will be Judging and part of his requirements are " I will be looking for creativity in meeting the brief " I would say yes its OK as its creative :mrgreen:

would I be right to assume that ball turning jigs are not within the spirit of this challenge?

I'm guessing that chopping up turned pieces with a saw isn't allowed?

Also is the piece allowed to have a base? As in a square plinth, or must it be self-supporting!

The more i think, the more I'm finding questions!!

philb88":2fc4gp6d said:
......, or must it be self-supporting!.......

now that would be impressive, manufacturing some sort of anti-gravity device completely out of wood on a lathe! =D>

nev":h48euey0 said:
jumps":h48euey0 said:
would I be right to assume that ball turning jigs are not within the spirit of this challenge?
i think its like sweets in school - only if youve got enough for everyone! :)

Nev - my assumption was worded in the negative!

Not having turned a ball before (loads of beads but no balls) I tried a spindle gouge, then a skew, and was thinking 'there must be an easier way to do this - and remembered someone's reference to a ball turning jig :idea: I don't have one but I'm sure I could make one! (hammer)

But then again it's a turning challenge rather than a jig making (or buying) one - hence the assumption

philb88":1e7gemt2 said:
I'm guessing that chopping up turned pieces with a saw isn't allowed?

Also is the piece allowed to have a base? As in a square plinth, or must it be self-supporting!

The more i think, the more I'm finding questions!!
All raw materials will be machined at some point PRIOR to going on a lathe

The challenge requires all components made for your entry to be lathe turned ( no carpentry )

Also is the piece allowed to have a base?
Yes , lathe turned but the ball must not rest / sit on etc the base , The ball needs to be suspended / elevated / held aloft / etc etc as posted previously :wink:

OK ,so I've read all the rules and suggestions and counter suggestions, not wishing to get embroiled in arguments about shape or size I would like to pose two questions.

#1 ) how do you suspend something from underneath :?: :?: :mrgreen:

#2) how does one sign up for this months challange :?: :?: :oops:

boysie39":3lgmu17l said:
OK ,so I've read all the rules and suggestions and counter suggestions, not wishing to get embroiled in arguments about shape or size I would like to pose two questions.

#1 ) how do you suspend something from underneath :?: :?: :mrgreen:

#1) Turn it upside down??? ;-)

#2) Do it through the scoreboard. :)

Blister":1ceiguf2 said:

Only you can decide if you feel happy with that one

The challenge text doesn't specifically mention them, just that balls will be judged according to roundness. As a ball jig is just another tool for use on the lathe I'd have to say that they're ok, but then I would as I have one :D However, it's homemade and the 2 times I've tried to use it have resulted in failure

boysie39":37s94p7p said:

Your already signed up. You sign up once as you did for Jan now your name is automatically entered each month. When you sign up its for the year not just that month.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back