1/2" brad point drill bit do they exist in the UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geoff_S

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where to get one of these please?

I have 12mm too small & 13mm too big because of course, I need 1/2".

It has to be good quality so I don't mind paying a bit extra. Whatever I've found so far is part of a set, sold in multiples or imported and a long wait time.

Is there anywhere that anyone knows of in the UK that can deliver next day?

Thanks

Get an off-the-shelf 1/2" hss twist drill and regrind the end. Makes a very good drill for wood- I made myself a set years ago.

Can anyone tell me where to get one of these please?

I have 12mm too small & 13mm too big because of course, I need 1/2".

It has to be good quality so I don't mind paying a bit extra. Whatever I've found so far is part of a set, sold in multiples or imported and a long wait time.

Is there anywhere that anyone knows of in the UK that can deliver next day?

Thanks

Axminster Tools sell imperial size Brad point drill bits.....Fisch ....Good quality !

https://www.axminstertools.com/fisc...YetY6g1N91EhqHZ225otmpLwVyDgdZ4BoCidkQAvD_BwE

Drill a slightly smaller hole with a spur drill then open out to 1/2" using normal drill bit.
Now there's an idea, and a good one. Funny how when I get locked into an idea I don't think outside the box. Is it just me? :cautious:

A small post script to this.

I went to Axminster and sure enough there it is. I put it in my basket at £3.98 but it added £5.00 P&P to make £8.98.

OK, not the end of the world but I thought I would just check eBay and sure enough, the exact same thing for £5.98 delivered free.

And the eBay supplier is?

Yep, Axminster!

Not complaining but might be useful to know this for future.

A small post script to this.

I went to Axminster and sure enough there it is. I put it in my basket at £3.98 but it added £5.00 P&P to make £8.98.

OK, not the end of the world but I thought I would just check eBay and sure enough, the exact same thing for £5.98 delivered free.

And the eBay supplier is?

Yep, Axminster!

Not complaining but might be useful to know this for future.
Where do they get their postage rates from? Couldn't be more than a coupla quid to post a drill bit, also no such thing as 'free postage', it's in the price.

Get an off-the-shelf 1/2" hss twist drill and regrind the end. Makes a very good drill for wood- I made myself a set years ago.
Unless you could grind a spur absolutely concentric with the drill & with only 0.5 mm dia to play with, there's no doubt you'll end up with a 13 mm or more dia. hole.

Where do they get their postage rates from? Couldn't be more than a coupla quid to post a drill bit, also no such thing as 'free postage', it's in the price.
I know what you mean but it’s a hell of a lot cheaper than me driving to get it.

Now that would require skills that I do not possess :confused:
It is easier to grind a drill to a good spur, than to grind a 118* tip for drilling steel. If you have a powered bench grinder with a good square edge to the stone, you will find that all your spur drills will fit to the right-hand side of the stone at the same angle. Spur drills are not twisted or manipulated in any as they are ground; they are held at the same angle throughout the process and just advanced along their central axis. It is best to grind each side alternately in small stages. It is the work of a moment to "refresh" a spur bit: with grinder stopped, 'feel' the required angle against the wheel, back-off and hold the drill at the same angle, start the grinder and gently advance the drill, repeat at 180*(radially; NOT longitudinally) HTH!

Sorry for delay in posting reply i bought these years ago from an importer in Yorkshire called BJR they are tungsten carbide tipped lip and spur 1/8 to 1/2
20221021_150745.jpg

Latest posts

Back