“Gouge cuts”

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bigger/wider gouge needed.

Attachments

• 20231024_135149.jpg
    20231024_135149.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
It's not a chance as the thrust is mostly towards the end grain and the gouge was fresh. But can you see the same shine.

The only place I can think it might be is here...........

https://www.lie-nielsen.com/product...t-planes?path=home-education-videos&node=4252
I've mislaid my copy and I'll let you know when I find it.
It isn’t really. Larry shows how to do the gouge cut on a much smaller plane. I managed to achieve it in my #8 h&r but it looks nothing like as good as the one by Matt Bickford in my pic above.

I emailed Larry a while back and asked him what gouge sizes he used but he said “it’s complicated” and didn’t really want to tell me.

This thing is what I call a signifier. It's completely useless and adds zero to the plane. But to people who are obsessive about copying eighteenth century planes it's the pinnacle of something. Better concentrate on the important aspects surely. All american obsessive will judge your planes on this one cut. Complete and utter silliness!

This thing is what I call a signifier. It's completely useless and adds zero to the plane. But to people who are obsessive about copying eighteenth century planes it's the pinnacle of something. Better concentrate on the important aspects surely. All american obsessive will judge your planes on this one cut. Complete and utter silliness!
Completely true. Im concentrating really hard on trying to make the planes as functional as they can possibly be. I’ve nailed bedding and pretty much nailed mortises and wedges, which is really really hard (for me anyway).

I’d like them to look good too though. Why not. Surely I can master a silly gouge cut. If not, how good can my plane actually be?!

Didn't see any sign of that scoop, but perhaps if you haven't seen Ken Hawley collection trust videos
it may be of some use.
But I guess that's page one stuff to yourself.

Didn't see any sign of that scoop, but perhaps if you haven't seen Ken Hawley collection trust videos
it may be of some use.
But I guess that's page one stuff to yourself.

Trees - yes I have watched it in detail, and it’s the opposite of page 1 stuff - this is the place to go when you really want to see how it was done. There’s very little other information on it. It’s fascinating stuff.

But.. tbh at the time this video was taken, the industry had left fancy gouge cuts behind a century before. The gouge cuts on 19th and 29th century planes are there to clean up from chamfering and are a minor detail. You have to go back to the 17th century and Robert Wooding planes to see those kind of details.

Wm moss sash with a gouge cut. Probably 18th early 19th.
5/8 beading plane with absolutely the most common termination.

Attachments

• 20231024_145936.jpg
    20231024_145936.jpg
    1,016.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231024_150001.jpg
    20231024_150001.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Sorry Adam I forgot your a pfeshail man there system is slightly different. #2 being the flat gouge(sheffield #3)
Pfeil chisels are all variations of #1(1s being a skew)
Sheffield #1 is a straight chisel and #2 is a skew.
The very best tools for this cut would be the rare henry Taylor cogelow skew gouges! They are basically angled gouges check em out.

Wm moss sash with a gouge cut. Probably 18th early 19th.
5/8 beading plane with absolutely the most common termination.
You are right that the most common style by far is your second example on the right. Personally I reckon those little “gutter” gouge cuts are to clean up marks left when the chamfers are put on the grip ends.

The style that the modern boutique makers like to copy seems to be early Robert Wooding

IMG_4396.jpeg

Bit of a shame really as this was not a common style, although it does look pretty.

I reckon the gouge you need should correspond with the sweep/width of the rebate flute.
I think you are right. So I guess I need to know what sweeps match the common round plane profiles. I think I have 8,10,12, 14, 16 hollows and rounds. Which is 1/2”, 5/8, 3/4, 1”, 1 1/4 radius. I will check the gouges I have tomorrow but I don’t have the larger sizes. Tbh I have never got my head around the sweep system.

Back