“Gouge cuts”

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somewhere there is a chart whereby if you hit a gouge into the paper that would be the same produced complete with numbers of course.
Apparently gouges are really pricey at the minute. No doubt the big uns are the priciest. Try to find joiners gouges as there cheaper( but nowhere near as finely forged)

Somewhere there is a chart whereby if you hit a gouge into the paper that would be the same produced complete with numbers of course.
Apparently gouges are really pricey at the minute. No doubt the big uns are the priciest. Try to find joiners gouges as there cheaper( but nowhere near as finely forged)
I never understood why there wasn‘t a simple system which was based on radius and width , like hollows and rounds. Or perhaps there is but I don’t understand it.

If it helps, British planemakers from 1700 No2 has the H&R sweep table on page 44

Cheers, Andy

If it was me, I'd do some experimenting as it looks like you're at the pointy end of available knowledge.

I'll have a look at the early plane I have, there's only one, and check the sweep of the cut against some gouges, of which there are many.

I'd think less and gouge cut more. Its my own way of not disappearing down rabbit holes. Make your own unique gouge cuts using what's knocking around. Unshackle your creativity. Once you've sussed how to make planes that perform flawlessly make one that's better than those old ones or one more comfortable. Or get this one one that's covered in gouge cuts!

I'd think less and gouge cut more. It’s my own way of not disappearing down rabbit holes. Make your own unique gouge cuts using what's knocking around. Unshackle your creativity. Once you've sussed how to make planes that perform flawlessly make one that's better than those old ones or one more comfortable. Or get this one one that's covered in gouge cuts!
Unfortunately I’m prone to rabbit holes. The plane making obsession is just the latest. The planes perform well, but I’ve made some understandable mistakes with the last few as I move on to more complex stuff. I guess it’s all part of the process of gaining experience.

I’m not even particularly keen on the gouge cuts. I may not even use them. But I want to know how to do them. Drives me bonkers that I can’t.

Once I’ve nailed these planes I can get on with using them to make some more windows.

If the gouge cut is there to provide a place for your thumb in case you are pulling the plane rather than pulling, why not shape it with a rasp and then finish with a gouge that matches the profile that feels good for your hand. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Do your planes make that incredible noise when cutting right. I'm guessing it's the production of those regular ridges. Źeeeiiep.

Yes they do!! It’s so satisfying. That’s when you know you’ve got it right. That zipping noise.

Also, if the wedge fits really properly, as you tap in the wedge, at the instant it becomes seated, the plane starts to ring with a musical pitch when you tap. Like claves. At some point I’ll do a video of it.

Showing those striations.

Attachments

• 20231026_103113.jpg
    20231026_103113.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back