“Gouge cuts”

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve355

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I’d like to replicate better the swanky details found on some “boutique” moulding planes - specifically the so called “gouge cuts” which I really don’t think are made using gouges these days. See the area in the circle in the pic below.

I’m pretty sure they aren’t made using a gouge, and I’ve tried using a round plane and it just ends up a mess. Rasp and file? Grades of sandpaper wrapped around a dowel?

Any ideas?

Cheers

IMG_4391.jpeg

They are done with a gouge, but using a hand held scooping action at 45º across the edge, instead of whacking it with a mallet.
I’d be really interested to see how that works Adam. Im sure, given your carving background , that you know what you‘re talking about. But… it’s one of the final operations after a substantial amount of work to make a plane. So it would need to be deadly accurate and 100% reliable. Also, there are many different sizes of gouge cut that would need to be done For all the different sizes of plane.

Is there any more info available anywhere or a demo of how it is done?

Best avoided, otherwise there will be virtual bloodshed about stuff like - do I need a bevel on the inside of the gouge or not?

Last edited:
@clogs

What I will do though is show you the type of shaving that you should get from your gouge, or any edge tool for that matter.

A WARNING FOR THE CHILDREN: If you are of a numpty persuasion, please don't try this at home.

Definite gouge cut it's a twisting cut starting in one corner then finishing at the other. Starting from the top.

Definite gouge cut it's a twisting cut starting in one corner then finishing at the other. Starting from the top.

But is it? I reckon the gouge cut is put on to a 45 degree line *before* the cove is planed onto the shoulder. That gives the impression of a twisting cut when in fact it isn’t. Maybe.

Ok, here’s a moulding plane shoulder, a round plane and a nice sharp gouge. What lines should I draw and what cuts do people think I should make, in what order, to achieve the desired result 😎

IMG_4394.jpeg

The shoulder is a set distance so the width/ sweep of the gouge has significance. I will try a few this afternoon but even that shine shouts sharp gouge. One cut that's equally baffling is the one in the picture. Like a thumbprint. But if operated properly it's a simple cut.

Attachments

• 16981494341648189467135624616691.jpg
    16981494341648189467135624616691.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
I’m sure it’s dead simple if you know what cut to make… I tried a few this morning but couldn’t seem to get it. Messes with my brain. Which is why I’m not a sculptor.

I think perhaps, that it’s a 45 deg gouge cut into the shoulder, the top of which is then planed off with the round. But maybe not, who knows.

Back