£500 bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am looking to ditch my current TS and buy a decent bandsaw. I have a second TS (fold down Ryobi) which will suffice for any sheet cutting which I need to do (which is pretty much all I do on my current TS).

I have a crappy little Record "bench top" BS at the mo, but want to upgrade to a more substantial machine. Ideally able to re-saw 8" timber.

I am not averse to buying second hand, if that delivers the best machine per £.

Cheers

Karl

for £500 you could be lucky with a 2nd startrite on ebay, failing that, I would save some extra cash and go for a big axminster - very good value for money, although they have had a recent price increase.

I've been having a look round, and decided that i'm gonna get a new machine. All the ones on e-bay are collection only, and trying to find the right machine in my area is going to prove a struggle.

So the toss up is between

this SIP

or

this Record

I can get the Record from Yandles for £445, delivered. The SIP is £424 delivered.

I am erring towards the Record - 5 yr guarantee, seems to have good reviews, wheels for easier moving. The only reason why the SIP is in the running is the slightly bigger motor (2hp as opposed the 1.5hp of the Record).

If it were your choice, what would you do????

Cheers

Karl

Whilst I like my RSDE2, I have never been enamoured by Record's machinery, it seem to be well thought out, but badly executed. I have never looked closely at their bandsaws, but wasn't filled with confidence when I looked at their TS and PT range (tho I do hear good things about the newest PT).

I know the SIP TS gets good reviews, but honestly, I think I'd be looking at a 2nd hand reliable piece of CI OR at the Jet range. Obviously Jet looks out of your budget, so I'd scan eBay. Give it time and you will find the ideal thing.

I was at Yandles looking at the BS350 a few weeks ago and I can't see a lot wrong with it. It has pretty much all the important features of a modern bandsaw - rack and pinion table adjustment, quick-release tension lever, fine-adjustable guides and fence... The only bad thing I've heard about their saws is that you cannot remove the fence while the blade is fitted?! :shock:

Alternatively, if you type something like "bandsaw" in to the eBay search engine then it should bring up a company that will collect and deliver larger eBay items for you. Never used them myself but, it may be worth a quote. :wink:

I recently got a JWBS 18 from ebay for £530, But had to collect it. The week after Axminster sold the same machine on Ebay for the same £530 they deliver so perhaps looking out for one there could be an option.
I got a quote from one of the couriers to pick a machine up and that came in at round the £200 mark :(

Axminster will deliver into your workshop (and not just dump it on the road outside) on the bigger machines...not sure about the smaller stuff as they may well use a different carrier. For big stuff though, it's their own blokes, which is good for me as it's a bit convoluted :wink: to get round the house into the 'shop - Rob

Karl

I have a bs350, it took two days to fettle the second machine, the first went back to record.
Look out for a startrite on ebay in the NW and find a man with a van!

Good hunting

Tim

Thanks for the replies.

Tim - thanks for your input re: Record b/s.

Think i'll put some more searching time into this before committing.

Cheers

Karl

hi karl,

i bought the jet JWBS- 14 about a year ago for just less then 500. and found it a great saw. only thing i'd improve is the guides. i find the cutting size's fine for everything i do.

may also be worth adding the Scheppach Basato 4, it seams to have good guides and large cutting sizers.

I've alread seen that - and spoke to the guy selling. It only has a 6" depth of cut and the motor seems a little week - 3/4hp. By comparison to new models these specs seem a little crappy.

Cheers

Karl

Decided to bite the bullet and order the Record today. Should arrive in the next few days........

Cheers

Karl

Back