You Tube Vids

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
Whlie its too darn cold to venture out into an unheated workshop, any recommendations for either good youtube or web page instructional sites to visit?

Cheers

Mrs C":345tsfua said:
Whlie its too darn cold to venture out into an unheated workshop, any recommendations for either good youtube or web page instructional sites to visit?

Cheers

I enjoy The English Woodworker, he has free videos but I have subscribed to his premium series and think they are good value for money.

I also recently took out a 14 day free trial at Fine Woodworking and have spent those 14 days watching as much of the online content that interested me.

I quite enjoy GuysWoodshop. It's a US channel, and the guy makes nice furniture from his garage.

Also currently enjoying our very own Peter Millard's YouTube channel.

Rag 'n' Bone Brown for what you can do with other folks scraps.

Darbin Orvar if you can stand the voice...

Ones that I avoid:
Anyone who's been given a SawStop
Anyone who's been given a truck load of bright green tools

Another vote for Frank Howarth, and Tom Fidgen I can watch over and over.

pcb1962":35qv5vn2 said:
Ones that I avoid:
Anyone who's been given a SawStop
Anyone who's been given a truck load of bright green tools

Just because someone has been paid to do their job doesn't make them a bad woodworker.

Another vote for Guys Woodshop. The videos are well paced an informative. My favourite channel at the moment is Ishitani Furniture Well worth a look, no narration, fantastic craftsmanship and, in my opinion, very elegant timeless furniture. Find the videos incredibly relaxing to watch. Only about 18 videos at the moment, but hopefully he'll make more.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC7FkqjV8SU5I8FCHXQSQe9Q

Simon

mathias wendel at woodgears.ca.
Mostly just for fun because theres not many people who would build his inventions like a mobile scaffold tower driven by an electric drill.

M Wandel's Woodgears pretty much got me into woodworking when all I wanted to do is find out how to build a simple workbench.

I watch most of the usual channels.

Of late I have been watching a lot of:

Mirock (some great use of CNC and some crazy Festool related stuff, but very dodgy tablesaw practices).
The WoodKnight(Paul Jenkins from Aus)
Dustin Penner

I have just discovered Rob Cosman - he has been doing stuff for ages. (Great hand tool based stuff, but don't watch his tablesaw technique - it is a good job he has a Sawstop, that's for sure).

Without doubt the most endearing, learned, best presented and watchable videos, are these from this lovely guy from America, Louis Sauzedde. He just reminds me of the men I served my time with, a master of his subject, craft, tools and a great teaching presence. This Skiff build is just a delight to watch and learn from, even if you will never build a boat, I defy anyone not to love this mans example of how to pass traditional knowledge on. So refreshing to watch someone not trying to 'impress' you with their cleverness, but simply pass it on in a straight forward hands on way.
https://www.youtube.com/user/TipsfromaShipWright

Brilliant!

My absolute favorite.

+1 for Tips from a Shipwright.

I enjoy watching
Kingpost Timberworks, particularly the Forgotten Joinery Techniques.

I can only take The Samurai Carpenter in small doses, though I do admire his skill, esp. with large timbers.

And Jimmy "if it looks straight, it is straight" Diresta of course, who can make anything, and make it entertaining, without getting up himself.

Also I had to laugh at...
Doingupthehouse":2nm577ws said:
...Ishitani Furniture...Only about 18 videos at the moment, but hopefully he'll make more..
I'm sure you don't mean to make light of his effort, but to make 18 videos (that's over 2 hours of content, effectively a feature-film) on your own, takes an extraordinary amount of work; I reckon on *at least* an hour of editing/production for every minute of video you see in the final edit. That's just production, not the time it takes to shoot the video btw. A lot of work.

Cheers, Pete

Also I had to laugh at...
Only about 18 videos at the moment, but hopefully he'll make more..
I'm sure you don't mean to make light of his effort, but to make 18 videos (that's over 2 hours of content, effectively a feature-film) on your own, takes an extraordinary amount of work; I reckon on *at least* an hour of editing/production for every minute of video you see in the final edit. That's just production, not the time it takes to shoot the video btw. A lot of work.

Cheers, Pete

Not making light of his effort at all... Having done a bit of video editing, I'm well aware of the effort involved. I just hope he continues to produce them as they're so enjoyable. Perhaps I shouldn't have used the word 'only'. His production values are very high and the videos must take a lot of work. Perfectly paced and very well filmed. Slow TV at its best.

Cheers
Simon

Bodgers":1gh88fek said:
I have just discovered Rob Cosman - he has been doing stuff for ages. (Great hand tool based stuff, but don't watch his tablesaw technique - it is a good job he has a Sawstop, that's for sure).
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Where have you been hiding !!!
Here's some woodworking channels that I have not seen mentioned....mostly, fine furniture related
Mitch Peacock,
David Charlesworth,
Bob Van Dyke,
Mike Pekovich,
Chris or Christopher Schwarz,
Andy Lovelock Brit01425,
Hendjim,
David W,
David Barron,
Charles Neil,
Simon James,
Jack English machines,
Fine woodworking,
Popular woodworking,
Lie-Nielsen toolworks,
Highland woodworking,
Gwinnet woodworks
Wood and shop,
Matt Cremona,
Carl Holmgren,
Jay Bates,
Renaissance WW,
Richard Leon,
Scott Horsburgh,

That's about all I can think about at the moment

Ttrees":1ll3svhc said:
Bodgers":1ll3svhc said:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Where have you been hiding !!!
Here's some woodworking channels that I have not seen mentioned....mostly, fine furniture related
Mitch Peacock,
David Charlesworth,
Bob Van Dyke,
Mike Pekovich,
Chris or Christopher Schwarz,
Andy Lovelock Brit01425,
Hendjim,
David W,
David Barron,
Paul Sellers,
Charles Neil,
Simon James,
Jack English machines,
Fine woodworking,
Popular woodworking,
Lie-Nielsen toolworks,
Highland woodworking,
Gwinnet woodworks
Wood and shop,
Matt Cremona,
Carl Holmgren,
Jay Bates,
Renaissance WW,
Richard Leon,
Scott Horsburgh,
Wood by wright,

That's about all I can think about at the moment
Chris Schwarz has a new video about surfacing a board to S4S using only hand tools. Kind of takes the mystique out of it if you aren't a hand tool sort of person. It has almost convinced me to flog the Titan thicknesser/planer piece of junk and buy some nice planes and a lunchbox style planer instead...

Another one that I discovered more recently and I think is actually one of the best channels on YouTube for what he actually produces is KRTWood. He has a video called "Mating Vases" it is quite something...

https://youtu.be/xslLpXN5tOs

He makes Jewelry boxes and various one of specials for a living. Mostly Etsy.

+1 for Tips from a Shipwright as well (especially his bit on steambending-in-a-bag).
And KRTWood's curved jewellry box was awesome.
Doucette and Wolfe are about the most stunning stuff I've seen so far.

But I'm going to be silly now and throw in Primitive Technology: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAL3JX ... lZyD3nQdBA
Fine furniture it's not. Hell, it's barely woodworking. But seeing someone cut a mortice with a stone chisel and fire is... I'm not sure how to describe it, but I started watching the first one thinking "what is this eejit doing" and then somehow it was six hours later and I'd watched all of them, twice.

Back