Fox Intarsia

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

linkshouse

Established Member
Reaction score
Here's the fox intarsia that I said I'd be doing next.

Not one of my best I'm afraid. I think there may be something wrong with my saw, or maybe it could be the blades, or perhaps the wood....

I suppose there's alway the outside chance that it could be me :roll: :roll:

Phill

Attachments

• fox.jpg
    fox.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 705
Claymore":1sso0wms said:
What's wrong with it Phill? It looks lovely and grain etc is spot on and no big gaps. Is it pre waxed finish? just wondered if it might need an extra coat of wax to bring out the colouring (it could also be a trick of the light when you photographed it) Its a very nice design and as usual on my to do list :lol: which gets longer daily as there's so many intarsias i want to do but i will eventually get to it.....one day maybe :lol:

As far as i can see its spot on so no worries!

Cheers
Brian :)
ps I have finished the latest eagle and just need to wax it so hopefully get a photo of it this week.

There are gaps in the body that I'm not happy with.

As for finish. It has had one coat of "wiping varnish", my own mix of 1/3 yacht varnish, 1/3 boiled linseed oil, 1/3 white spirit. I blather this on leave it for 10/15 minutes then wipe off the excess.

I usually do this three or four times over three or four days and then apply a coat of Chestnut woodwax (hence the brush mentioned in my other post).

Regards

Phill

Looks fine to me too, but if you're not happy with it treat it as trial run, keep at though Phill love seeing the work,

I think it looks good too (if that helps).

BTW, re wax finish (from the eagles head thread), the US toy making Forum I use (thanks for that tip bodgerbaz) has a video by a lady who takes a solid bees wax block, grates some off it with a cheese grater, then dumps the lot into a saucepan of (she says "any") mineral oil warmed at a set temp, allows that lot to cool, then uses that for her toys. Looks good in her videos and she says it's child safe.

I haven't tried it yet, but have been thinking about it. Any comments anyone?

AES

Back