Pencils

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheshirechappie

Established Member
Reaction score
We've had one or two rather 'heavy' topics of late, so I thought I'd bring things back to basics by asking the forum's opinions on pencils and other mark-making devices for use in the workshop.

Just to kick things off, I have two types of pencil that I turn to regularly.

For rough marking on sawn timber, the chunky carpenter's pencil, medium grade. Not very accurate (sort of plus or minus a sixteenth) but makes a good visible line on even quite rough timber.

For finer work - joint marking and the like - an ordinary HB pencil is my favourite. I find this gives a fine line dark enough to see on the lighter woods I usually work, without losing it's sharpness too quickly. Pencil sharpening is by whatever edge tool happens to come to hand - chisel, knife, whatever. I quite like the old draughtsman's chisel edge on the pencils; it seems to give a finer line.

Years ago, I bought a box of white pencils for marking darker timbers, on which a normal black line barely shows. They work rather well, but as I rarely use darker timbers these days, they tend to slumber in their box most of the time.

Mechanical pencils, I find, are great for drawing boards, but less so in the workshop - the leads just don't hold up to bench use.

Well - hope it's not a pointless discussion. That could lead to a sharpening debate, forcing the Mods to draw a line.....

I agree on the mechanical pencil- the leads just crumble, much as I like the idea.

I tend to use a decent quality b pencil. I try to use a marking knife for fine work but to be honest most stuff I make isn't that critical as long as components are the same so I tend to set a stop on the saw and use that.

I do have this bookmarked but haven't quite got around to buying one yet. Ideally one will have pencil lead and another a white lead. Then I think 30 quid on pencils and it remains bookmarked for a bit longer! http://www.cultpens.com/i/q/CD03904/car ... xpencil-22

I use HB pencils on site even on rough timbers, and i carry a pencil sharpener in my pocket as one comes with the set i get from tesco. :)
In the workshop i use either a HB or more often than not a mechanical pencil. I too have a box of white pencils somewhere, purchased many years ago from axi and never used :lol:

But i now try to use a marking knife on my joints in the shop.

Hi

This is my 'best' pencil:

Pencil.png

Pentel Graphgear 1000 - its a thing of beauty and a lovely weight / in hand feel - a bit of a luxury but I love it :) :)

Regards Mick

Attachments

• Pencil.png
    Pencil.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 3,329
Marcros - Of the mechanical pencils, I quite like the idea of the clutch type, because you can sharpen the point to how you like it. I've got a selection of clutch pencil leads, but I bought those for my draughtsman's compasses. I agree that £30 or so is quite a stretch for pencils - but you'd never need to buy any more!

Carlb40 - I agree entirely about using a marking knife whenever appropriate, but sometimes a pencil does the job. Dovetails - tails marked out with pencil, sawn and chopped, then transferred to the pin board with a knife, for example. That said, running a (sharp) pencil down a knifed line can help making it more visible, I find; used lightly, the point of the pencil runs along the knife line perfectly.

Spindle - phew! That's the Clifton of pencils! My mechanical ones are mostly Pentels, too (apart from a couple of Rotrings) - I've been using one of them for 35 years, and apart from being a bit worn on the outside, it's going strong. Still prefer the old-fashioned wooden sort in the workshop, though.

I have lots of pencils all different colours, but I can't find one of the little blighters.

Pete

Ive bought cheap pencils in the past but Ive found I prefer the classic red and black Staedtlers are the best -as Chip shop above.

HB for general work and 2H for fine marking out.

Yep Staedlers only for me, the others break way to easily. I carry a pencil sharpener too, and for a really crisp chisel point sharpen with a sharpener then lie almost flat and give one pass on fine sand paper.

I prefer very soft leads, usually 2B in 0.5mm or 0.7mm mechanical pencils. I like the consistent width of line that these pencils give.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

RobinBHM":2sdj68kw said:
Ive bought cheap pencils in the past but Ive found I prefer the classic red and black Staedtlers are the best -as Chip shop above.

HB for general work and 2H for fine marking out.

[Nerd]Worth pointing out that 2H is yellow and black.[/Nerd]

Very similar to you CC, soft carpenters pencil for the rough. I fine HB a little soft although anything between a 2H & an HB is just fine. Now where did I put my ..................

I've one of these bolted to a shelf ... and dozens of pencils scattered about the place. :)

21418-1001-3ww-l.jpg

Just started using the steadtler tradition too, I think they're Hs. I got sick of cheapo pencils where the graphite slides out in dowel size pieces!
I'd recommend the above, good consistent quality.

I have a really old Staedtler Mars..

011473.jpg

Nice pencil!

I also found a silver plated Eversharp with loads of old leads...all HB...at a bootfair...that was a great find too.

For rough site stuff...the red woodie pencil is probably the best bet.

Jimi

jimi43":3bw2x63u said:
I have a really old Staedtler Mars..

011473.jpg

Nice pencil!

I also found a silver plated Eversharp with loads of old leads...all HB...at a bootfair...that was a great find too.

For rough site stuff...the red woodie pencil is probably the best bet.

Jimi

You calling my joinery rough?...you may have a point :lol:

Is that an infill?

Back