Pencils

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chip shop":g0ij8kxp said:
RobinBHM":g0ij8kxp said:
Ive bought cheap pencils in the past but Ive found I prefer the classic red and black Staedtlers are the best -as Chip shop above.

HB for general work and 2H for fine marking out.

[Nerd]Worth pointing out that 2H is yellow and black.[/Nerd]

Well if we're going to be nerdy about things, the difference between red and black or yellow and black is the specific Staedtler branding. The red and black is the 'Tradition' range. The yellow and black is the 'Norris' range. :)

I have the same principle as above "HB for general work and 2H for fine marking out" but use the Norris range with colour coded crown caps, where HB = red and 2H = green. Very useful for the at-a-glance pick up.

Great chat by the way!

I might be the only one to admit such a thing but I do like my Ikea pencils.

I have 'a few' and there always seems to be one within reach.

I wish I had the kind of ears that would hold a pencil behind them. Not just because it would be a handy place to store a pencil, but because people with a pencil behind the ear always give off the air that they know what they are on about.

Time for a new one?

5F9AB3E6-8746-4E8B-8A64-13160380ABB6-2279-000005FFD9FA6AE5_zps7ee4de5f.jpg

Hi all,

The only pencils I use are Dixon Ticonderoga 1388-2/HB, soft. Very useful for marking, drawing, and making notes, to be forgotten on the kitchen island !!. Jamey

Re-animating an old thread, but I just saw an ad for some rather fine pencils in exotic woods, quite the bargain at £28 for a set of 4...

Luxury pencils come in all shapes and sizes, but none perhaps are as intriguing as the 'Les Crayons de la Maison Caran d'Ache' collection.
Created by the expert craftsmen at Caran d'Ache, this pencil collection uses rare and exclusive woods of only the best quality.
This, the fourth set in the range, is a set of 4 pencils and includes one each of the following woods:
African Ayous - A precious variety with a deep black shade containing fine white veins. A firm character with natural appeal.
Tremble White - Unusually regular stripes in this wood create a contrast of white and black veins that give it a double personality.
Red & Olive Zebrano - Fine fibres in shades of red and olive bring this wood to life, giving it an individual look.
Indian Poplar - The densely structured composition of this wood creates a highly distinctive veining with multiple shades of grey.
All of the woods used to create this stunning range are responsibly sourced to FSC standards and are OLB-certified to guarantee the origin and legality of the wood.
Additional Information
Product Code: CD42079
Ink Type: Graphite
Item Material: Wood
CD42079~Les-Crayons-de-la-Maison-Caran-dAche-Edition-No4_P1.jpg

Also available,edition no.3,

This, the third set in the range, is a set of 4 pencils and includes one each of the following woods:
Grey Poplar - The veining in this species follows an unusually regular sand-coloured pattern. Its gentle shades bring out all the simple beauty of the wood.
Green Zebrano - A precious wood striped with unexpected colours. Alternating beige and dark brown stripes are split by striking olive green stripes.
African Azobe - Light marbling enhances a chocolate coloured body warmed by the African sun, bringing out the personality of this king of the tropical forest.
Silver Aspen - Its tanned body is touched by streaks of silver. This veining creates a magnificent play of contrasting dark and light.

CD30850~Les-Crayons-de-la-Maison-Caran-dAche-Edition-No-3_P1.jpg

I bought a couple of these things, mainly for rough marking out but I think that they have potential for finer work. Insult I'll prefer a knife for fine work.

http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... l+m_dk7114

I bought them mainly for the unbreakable feature and to be fair they have proven to be so. If you are ordering from rutlands, it is worth putting one on the order.

For general use I use any old HB.For accurate lines I use a red and black Staedtler 4H with a chisel point and since it can be a bit pale on dark wood,I sometimes use a dab of Tippex to make the lines clearer.Not sure where to find a bottle of Tippex when the current bottle runs dry.

Can't help feeling that the forum might be losing it's rough and ready, flybytheseatofyourpants, rock 'n roll edge...

Derwent Graphic 2B, just in case...

I must have a couple of dozen Ikea Specials around my wee workshop. I know, I'm bad. I just grab 3 or 4 each time I visit...

I use H2 as standard, or H3 or 4 for finer work; always sharpened with a chisel. Strangely, it's a good test of chisel sharpness; as soon as a chisel begins to dull, its pencil sharpening performance drops off radically!

Back