101 uses for a hot melt glue gun.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used hot glue to attach small guide blocks (about 6mm x 70mm, but various sizes really) to 6mm ply for a project I'm working on. I've now realised how strong the glue is and it's taking some of the top layer off the ply when I remove the guide blocks.

Is there a method for loosening the glue so it's less likely to damage the ply when I remove the blocks? (nothing that'll stop me glueing more wood right next to where the blocks were.)

I find it best to either 1/ to glue around the temporary part rather than under it, so it can be cut with a chisel, or 2/ to make sure there is a gap under it enought to slide a heated stripping knife under it. I actually consigned a nice blank to the stove because I did neither and couldn't get it off. Isopropyl alcohol softens it, and is a very useful cleaner to have in your 'shop, anyway. Usually it'll roll off when soft.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1 is as cheap as I've found, and ideal if you can share with someone else (except for ten, cheaper again).

Thanks Phil - I pressed on and found twisting did less damage than just snapping off, and that way it was only taking off bits of the top layer when it did. But I've learned my lesson - don't use too much next time. It's waaayy stronger than I'd realised.

Rorschach":3mex8n3v said:
I have the lidl glue gun and it works great as long as you give it enough time to come up to temp (about 5 minutes for a quick job, 10 minutes if you want to do a big squeeze out.)
I use the lidl glue sticks but they do vary and bit in texture, I have not had any issues with setting too quick though.
Thanks. The issue resolved itself. I was still on the glue sticks that came included with the gun. I've since been using sticks that I bought as spares. Still parkside but obviously a different type and they work fine.

Cheers
Chris

I use hot glue for a lot of my miniature art work. If you pull it as it cools it becomes hair, if you stab at it, it becomes foliage in a garden or boots and feet for my tiny carved figures if you shape it on e it has a skin over it. You burn your fingers a lot of the time though 😂

Some photos of recent work so you see what I mean.

IMG_20230729_092758658.jpg

IMG_20230729_092439089.jpg

What a lot of useful ideas for using hot glue. I must get mine out more often (they can't arrest me for that!)

I use small dabs it for sticking sections of antler onto a wooden base, held in a chuck when I make Cufflinks for antler. It's the only way of holding a completely random shaped item.

Phil

Used it to re-attach a tip ring from my fishing rod when broke about 75mm down, drill out the tip ring and hot glue back on, my 10"-0" rod is now 9'-9" the fish don't mind it would seem.

Fixed the loo seat when the little pads on the underside wore out ,overfilled the recess with hmg and trimmed to size when set,worked perfectly and has lasted for a couple of years so far:)

A couple of drops under the corners of a router insert plate (home made table), drop the insert plate in, press level with the table.

The castor on the vacuum broke through the casing, so I scuffed up all the plastic and filled the moulding with hot melt. Perfect.
2 part wood filler can be useful as well - the lever broke on the sucker of the dashcam, so I filled the void with 2 part, sanded it flat, stuck some decent velcro on it and on the screen and job done.

A use I forgot about which is silly since i use it a lot. HM glue is great for reinforcing the bit where a cable joins a plug, like a usb or something. Those thin cheap cables can split there from flexing too much, when you start to see that a bit of HM glue will help stiffen up the area and extend the life of cables by a long time.
A bit off topic but Sugru mouldable silicone glue is better for this task.
This is a great thread with loads of inventive ideas. Given me ideas for better ways of doing some of the things I do.
Have fun
Martin

PS sorry didn't realise how old that post was. I hadn't noticed the thread before so have read from the start!

Since the thread is resurrected, am I the only one to use hmg glue sticks and a lighter - very cheap gun packed up mid job and a long reach lighter turned out to be a very useful heat source with no lag time, dripping, hot components.

Actually first time I used hot melt was to stick metal arrow heads on to wood shafts. Used a hot air gun as at the time I did not have a hot melt gun. I think most fletchers used the same.
Since then I have used it to mount things on jigs, Routing templates and to stick some pickups in instruments.
P1010008.JPG
Regards
John

repairing cracks and splits in car bumpers rather than replacing them at exorbitant cost. Works well.

Back