101 uses for a hot melt glue gun.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use mine mainly to stick vinyl Motorcycle seat covers on after I stitch them.

Though once I had a rubber mounting bush on a twin shock crosser break down so I centered the mount and pumped in hot glue before adding a large washer and nut. Worked so well I left it for years.. (not for highway use)

Also used it to make grommets when taking wiring through metal on the offroader I used to own. (waterproofs the hole too.)

it's very useful for sticking Gimp and fringe to upholstered furniture. No need to stitch or pin it

I used HMG for fastening an awkward log on a makeshift sled for cutting on the bandsaw. Held it well.
2016-10-23-17.29.51.jpg
2016-10-23-17.02.12.jpg

regards

Brian

Attachments

• 2016-10-23-17.29.51.jpg
    2016-10-23-17.29.51.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,144
  • 2016-10-23-17.02.12.jpg
    2016-10-23-17.02.12.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1,144
Recent uses..

Glued pattress box to wall to get correct position before screwing on.
I'm sharpening a few chisels to give as a gift but I have no caps to put on the tips afterwards, I'll be hot gluing them and the new owner can peel it off afterwards (like a new router bit I spose).
I glued my diamond stones to a large piece of travertine slab as a sharpening station - if I don't like it I can pop them off again no problem.

When the door handle on the internal garage door got ripped off (I don't know, either) I wondered how it would screw back, as the holes are always too big (and in ply) and the handle obviously can't be moved up or down for fresh holes. I remembered I had a fine nozzle for my gun so I squirted the holes full of hot melt - perfect - it screwed straight back.

Just as an aside, be careful which gun you buy as some of them drip continuously and are a pita. I replaced my old one last year with a Bosch PKP 18E which is excellent.

I ended up with the recent Parkside model, only had chance to give a quick test run so far but very pleased and a big improvement on my previous cheapo.

I just used mine to tack some pieces together for stack-cutting on the scroll saw.

The piece of milk carton that was the washer on the lathe spindle split and I thought why not? give it a go ...
Perfect - leave the gap you want and turning it from the outboard side squirt your h/m in. A few minutes later there's your washer.

A use I forgot about which is silly since i use it a lot. HM glue is great for reinforcing the bit where a cable joins a plug, like a usb or something. Those thin cheap cables can split there from flexing too much, when you start to see that a bit of HM glue will help stiffen up the area and extend the life of cables by a long time.

The beginnings of one of these -
https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-c ... b-ax780266

DSCF0180.JPG

The foil was to stop the hot melt sticking to the MDF that was mounted to the faceplate. The thread was sprayed with dry PTFE, and the whole thing put in the freezer to cool before sticking a chisel in it to undo it. I'll think about refining it, but it works. :D

Attachments

• DSCF0180.JPG
    DSCF0180.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 383
I bought an Lidl glue gun a while back. Mainly because of Phil's love of glue guns tbh. :roll: It sat under the bench for a long while. Then fairly recently I decided to use it or lose it , and I've been using it more and more. It's fast becoming a vital part of the shed so thanks Phil. Much respect. (hammer)
My question is related to the glue. The sticks I got from Lidl seem ok but they cool SO quickly I'm wondering if that's normal. If I leave the gun on heat long enough I get bubbles in the glue, and it turns whiteish and stays a hot a little longer but otherwise it's coming out the gun and solidifying almost instantly.
Is it user error?
Am I not leaving the gun to heat long enough? I get it's limitations and uses but I'm wondering if the lidl sticks are a bit wanting or if it's me.
How much open time should I expect? At the moment it's 1 to 2 seconds. Literally. I'd expect a bit more time tbh.
Try different glue?
Is this normal?

Cheers as always for any wisdom.
Regards,
Chris

Thanks Phil. Much appreciated. I had a feeling I was missing a trick with the glue.

I have the lidl glue gun and it works great as long as you give it enough time to come up to temp (about 5 minutes for a quick job, 10 minutes if you want to do a big squeeze out.)
I use the lidl glue sticks but they do vary and bit in texture, I have not had any issues with setting too quick though.

Back