Axminster TS250-2 modifications.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The AC216TS only has a 216mm blade, so I assume it is the replacement for the TS200 which had a 200mm blade, if the TS250 is missing from the catalogue I also assume the replacement for it is just around the corner, I suppose the reason its still on the web site is because they have some to get rid of and will not add the replacement to the web site or catalogue until they have sold them, seems very mean and they should be offering them at a substantial discount.

I think you're right Mike.

Luckily I have to wait till after Christmas for the table saw purchase. Need to pay off next years holiday and this years Christmas apparently.... :ho2 :deer

I can't see an extended table option on the new 216 though? I could actually get away with a 210 blade. I only cut 18mm pine. Just need the width from fence.

If you go to the bottom of the page with the 216 on there is a tab that says "discover the new craft range" the picture on the link shows the 216 with a slide table and a very small side table extension, can't speculate if the TS200 extension table will fit, perhaps a call to Axminster will clarify.

I have noticed that Axminster no longer list the TS250 as a combination with the extension table and side slide table at a modest reduced cost, they did this up to the beginning of this year, I wonder what changed.

Ive not seen the package deal.

I think it was about £680 with the extension and slider.

With a bit of luck the TS250 will still be in stock with the sliding table and extension table. Probably get some legs until I make some suitable base to sit it on.

MikeJhn":na9n8yj9 said:
The AC216TS only has a 216mm blade, so I assume it is the replacement for the TS200 which had a 200mm blade, if the TS250 is missing from the catalogue I also assume the replacement for it is just around the corner, I suppose the reason its still on the web site is because they have some to get rid of and will not add the replacement to the web site or catalogue until they have sold them, seems very mean and they should be offering them at a substantial discount.
It has the same 1100W motor as well.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Raymond UK":1fmzwkij said:

With a bit of luck the TS250 will still be in stock with the sliding table and extension table. Probably get some legs until I make some suitable base to sit it on.
If you can get away with the depth of cut of the new Axy model I'd wait for that. The 'proper' 19mm slots, proper trunnion setup etc. Would be worth having.

I wasn't convinced until I saw the details, but I'm almost convinced to buy a TS again now.

Bodgers":24jpwvjs said:
Raymond UK":24jpwvjs said:

If you can get away with the depth of cut of the new Axy model I'd wait for that. The 'proper' 19mm slots, proper trunnion setup etc. Would be worth having.

I wasn't convinced until I saw the details, but I'm almost convinced to buy a TS again now.

The depth of cut is not a problem, it's the width to the fence I need as wide as possible. My current TS has a max cut of 300mm so the new Axe TS is no good to me.

Having now gone without a TS for a while, and using a track saw for a while, I definitely wouldn't be using something like the TS200/250 for cutting wide stock and sheets. They are really more for ripping.

I'm cutting small panels of 770 x 400 out of 3000 x 600 sheets of 18mm pine but the finished edge isn't great with a track saw / circular saw so I'd like to cut all these on the TS

Bodgers":2mc3gdjg said:
MikeJhn":2mc3gdjg said:

Same motor, larger blade, Hmmm

Sent from my dinning room table using my laptop. :roll:

MikeJhn":h07x9q72 said:
Bodgers":h07x9q72 said:
MikeJhn":h07x9q72 said:

Same motor, larger blade, Hmmm

Sent from my dinning room table using my laptop. :roll:

In fairness the Ts200 came with a 205mm blade. I actually had a 210mm blade on mine at one point, and it was fine.

There is an advantage for a beginner with a slightly low power saw in that if you do get any binding, it will actually just stall out rather than aggressively bite back. This happened to my once whilst stupidly resawing oak (with some crazy internal tension) at full blade height.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can anybody tell me whether the dust extraction modification from page 1 would also be applicable to the generic Axy Trade/Charnwood/iTech/Scheppach range of 10" table saws? These all have enclosed cabinets and some reviewers have commented that dust extraction (as usual!) is pretty poor in standard guise. If this, indeed, is the case, would it be possible to improve things by fitting the Axy big dust hood underneath these machines without major alterations?

I've got a reasonably powerful 2hp/100mm extractor but I'm not sure whether it would provide really effective extraction on any of these prospective saws without the modification.

The main problem with all table saws is that there is no collection or direction to the outlet, putting any type of dust deflection piece like the big dust hood inside will help direct any dust to the outlet, so in short Yes.

MikeJhn":3dnjzo8x said:
The main problem with all table saws is that there is no collection or direction to the outlet, putting any type of dust deflection piece like the big dust hood inside will help direct any dust to the outlet, so in short Yes.
As others have pointed out it's really surprising that none of the major manufacturers have latched onto the problem of dust collection in general, and your idea in particular. The unit cost of attaching something like the dust hood to their machines would be relatively trivial and in any case could be recouped by the selling point of having superior extraction.

The standard blade guards are equally hopeless with the dust outlet invariably located on the wrong part of the blade. The only upgrades are all prohibitively and unrealistically expensive, which leaves home modifications like your excellent version as the only option. If only you could get it into production I think there would probably be a decent market for it - provided it was priced somewhat more modestly than Axy's £580 Shark :cry: .

Gregers, thanks for the compliments.

Putting the overhead guard into production is not an option for me, but there are alternatives available under the cost of the Axi Shark, for instance: https://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-t ... kit-508320 and to be honest I don't think I could produce one for much under that, if you take into account productions costs, cost to me was about £50.00 for all the bits to make the hood and arm, the aluminium scaffold tube I already had so that has to be added and then the time to make it, so DIY is the way I feel.

Hi All, I bought a table Saw!

Just a quick thanks to everyone here, its been a super helpful read.

Ive just completed a stand - mostly stole RichardGs design. Had to extend it slightly as I messed up the dimensions, but as its on a 18mm ply base its all as solid as a rock.

IMG_2337.JPG

IMG_2336.JPG

Id like to improve the dust collection if possible. I am working in garage with lots of non workshop things on shelves. I can of course wheel it outside if I need to which is handy, but if I can mitigate the dust as much as possible Ill be a happy bunny.

I also have a titan Vacuum with auto start. I was expecting it not to work as I think the table saw might exceed the recommended power limit, but luckily it all works fine (if anyone's thinking of buying one).

RichardG":35hx8gi1 said:
The stand is made from 4x2. I made my own dust collector underneath the saw and re-used the included 100mm plastic connector. I found that not removing the side of the blade guard didn't seem to harm the dust extraction so I left it on but removed the hose. I covered the gaps around the table to body using rigid foam and then magnetic sheet to cover any other holes. Note I left the gaps round the height adjuster so there's an air flow through the machine.

Can I ask how you've attached the dust shoot to the table saw, could you post a couple of close up shots? and cheers for your design!

Attachments

• IMG_2336.JPG
    IMG_2336.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 520
  • IMG_2337.JPG
    IMG_2337.JPG
    1,009.3 KB · Views: 520
Back