Cooker to unit gap

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
i seem to be getting mixed results on google
we have 2 free standing cookers
do I have to have a gap between cookers and units \ worktops
this is going to be a dirt trap and look messy
if it is regs, how do you make it look ok aesthetically?

Steve

No.

Gas fired burners on a cooker need to above adjacent combustible work surfaces, for obvious reasons.
Assuming this is a Domestic situation, there are almost no rules except for fire risk. Commercial situations have stricter siting rerquirements.
At the same time, if this IS a domestic kitchen, you need to be aware of fresh air ventilation. Assume all burners and ovens are operating at the same time during a cold winter with the doors and windows closed (worst case scenario), are you going to suffocate the people in the room with carbon monoxide?
Fit them onto wheels and flexible hoses so you can regularly pull them out and clean down.

SteveF":3v42cbym said:
do I have to have a gap between cookers and units \ worktops
Some sources say you have to, although this is possibly outdated advice based on old cookers.

Some installers claim you should "for best results" or "to avoid [usually unspecified] problems" but this is possibly based on the above.

I know for a fact though you don't have to have any gap worth noting for there not to be a problem. But that doesn't mean every cooker works the same as the ones I've used where they were a tight fit between floor units.

Won't most manuals specify the gap the manufacturer deems necessary?

Marineboy":2bbstytt said:
I think I’m right in saying that UK regs now preclude using flexible hoses to connect cookers.

When did this change, and how are you supposed to connect it?

At my old place about 10 years ago our gas range was a fixed outlet but then a hose with bayonet from there to the cooker.

I don't know how you are supposed to connect a heavy unit that you can't get round the back of unless you have a hose, and hoses are still on sale.

We left about a cm gap between our range cooker and units, but butted the worktop up to the cooker. Had to do this otherwise the side-opening doors won’t open fully. Worth checking if you have side hung doors.

Simon

I don't know how you are supposed to connect a heavy unit that you can't get round the back of unless you have a hose, and hoses are still on sale.

Over half a century ago as a Gas Board apprentice I used to fit gas cookers with 1/2" iron pipe. Way before flexible hoses were good enough.
There was a union elbow at the back that only a gas fitter was allowed to undo. Cookers were fitted and stayed there untill you bought another one, or moved.

Back