Pull out storage under seat unit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baldkev

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive got a job coming up shortly where I'm making a built in seating area on the back of a kitchen, with new stone worktops which will sail over the seat back slightly, giving a larger work surface etc.
The space is limited, so using the under seat area as storage is going to be valuable, however the client doesn't want to lift the seat up or pull drawers out of the front because her table will be in.the way.... so its sliding out the side instead.... the bench will be approx 1650mm long, 450mm high and around 400 wide.... so realistically, a pull out unit of 300 x 300 at 1500 long.

The question is, how best to have it coming out? 🤔
Castors? But it may not want to slide in 'in line' nicely and feel a bit diy....

Too long for drawer runners like hafele / blum

I seem to have hit a blank, any suggestions welcome, thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240126_220425_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_220425_WhatsApp.jpg
    574.1 KB · Views: 0
First I would rule out what cannot be used due to the length, ie drawer runners and wooden slides due to friction over such a length. If using castors then you want the fixed type and some type of track to ensure alignment, but again might bind on occasions.

Maybe look at these from Acurride which come in long lengths and over 900Kg rating but not cheap.

https://www.accuride-europe.com/en-...nsion-super-heavy-duty-slide-dz4180-080-035-u

Thanks Roy,
Yes they look good, but as you say, expensive. Maybe a piece of channel fitted to the 'roof' of the bench seat, with one side of the drawer extending up into it for alignment would work? 🧐

Edit to add: maybe accuride do a cheaper version with less capacity, i dont need 900kg 😆
I'll look into that tomorrow, gotta get my beauty sleep 😴 thank you 👍

Last edited:
Or these rails, mounted on the side within the bench, and the sliding bracket fixed to the side of the drawer at the back? ( using 1 bracket per rail )

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127_000426_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127_000426_Chrome.jpg
    521.7 KB · Views: 0
I was going to suggest some unistrut and possibly skateboard wheels, or whatever might be made fit, should it be possible to hide.

A couple of thoughts, I do enjoy this sort of problem.
Depending on the floor surface or the base of the cabinet, you could put two strips of carpet under the box, and something similar? Not sure what yet between the box/drawer and the sides, anything mechanical there would be noisy, this would allow the box to be as large as possible. Obviously you would need to experiment.
Whatever you do the drawer front and the handle are going to have to be well fitted!
The piston effect on a drawer this size is going to be considerable.
It would be better to have a shorter drawer that works than a constant pita.

Sorry granny and eggs time, there is room to pull the drawer open isn’t there?
Ian

Thanks Roy,
Yes they look good, but as you say, expensive. Maybe a piece of channel fitted to the 'roof' of the bench seat, with one side of the drawer extending up into it for alignment would work? 🧐

Edit to add: maybe accuride do a cheaper version with less capacity, i dont need 900kg 😆
I'll look into that tomorrow, gotta get my beauty sleep 😴 thank you 👍
How about extending table slides.

You'll need a good sized hole in the back of the drawer to allow the air out too.

A couple of thoughts, I do enjoy this sort of problem.
Depending on the floor surface or the base of the cabinet, you could put two strips of carpet under the box, and something similar? Not sure what yet between the box/drawer and the sides, anything mechanical there would be noisy, this would allow the box to be as large as possible. Obviously you would need to experiment.
Whatever you do the drawer front and the handle are going to have to be well fitted!
The piston effect on a drawer this size is going to be considerable.
It would be better to have a shorter drawer that works than a constant pita.

Sorry granny and eggs time, there is room to pull the drawer open isn’t there?
Ian
The floor surface is oak effect hard flooring, most likely laminate. Good point regarding piston effect too, an air recess under the seat where it joins the frontp panel would be good.
Yes, easily 2m of clear space to the side, so plenty of room for it to extend out.
I found the cheaper accuride ones at £280ish which I'll probably get and accept the hit.... i should have nailed down the specifics before goving a price, but to be fair im too busy and a good quality job is more important than profit
Yep, thank you 🙃. I saw a couple on amazon earlier, with mixed reviews, so im thinking I'll spend the money on the accuride and avoid future calls / issues

I have used Accuride slides on many jobs and always been more than happy, as you say doing a good job is important and is what gets repeat customers. I will be using these type of slides on my kitchen pull outs, did look at the undermount ones from Blum but think I can fit in such a way as to be concealed more or less.

I don't know if this is any help @baldkev but when I made some under stairs drawers a year or so ago , I made a 2 part chassis, part was fixed down and leveled to the floor the other for the runners was then attached, this meant I could get everything running true and sweet without the drawer box in the way, which was then made separately and sat on top with some appropriate fixings to secure it to the chassises!:

drawer chassis.jpg

Cupb_1.jpg cupb_ 2.jpg

I don't know if this is any help @baldkev but when I made some under stairs drawers a year or so ago , I made a 2 part chassis, part was fixed down and leveled to the floor the other for the runners was then attached, this meant I could get everything running true and sweet without the drawer box in the way, which was then made separately and sat on top with some appropriate fixings to secure it to the chassises!:

View attachment 174546

View attachment 174547 View attachment 174548
Nice job👍
I have previously made under stairs storage using blum runners with great success and 8 or 9 years ago when i got my truck, i made a sliding bed system ( sounds more grand than it is ) using angle iron and skateboard bearings 😆 it works incredibly well, but, i made it in 2 sections thinking I'd simply slide each side out as needed..... the reality is i end up with so much stuff piled on top of other stuff that they can't slide independently. Sadly my ability to organise myself only stretches as far as coping with customers and the actual jobs 😕

I was going to suggest some unistrut and possibly skateboard wheels, or whatever might be made fit, should it be possible to hide.
Yep and they do the little carriages which are cool. Definitely one to remember for the future

Ok, so..... i may have screwed up 😑

Credit to accuride, my parcel arrived today. Unfortunately ive just unboxed it and discovered theres only 1 slide in the box! I had assumed ( possibly wrongly ) that I'd get a pair for that money 🧐

WTF why would they sell you one runner, cheeky Bstd's

Screwfix sell their gate hinges as singles which caught me out, and a lot of others going by the reviews.

I bought some magnet catches last week that didn't come with any little metal plates to fasten to the doors, that annoyed me as I only opened the packets when I was on the job ready to fit them :rolleyes:

I bought some magnet catches last week that didn't come with any little metal plates to fasten to the doors, that annoyed me as I only opened the packets when I was on the job ready to fit them :rolleyes:
Thats really annoying, especially if screwfix isnt close! The time lost is worth more than the mag catches.

I clicked the drop down information tab and it does state 'sold singularly ' i just didnt see it, but that makes for seriously expensive sliders!

Back