aldi chisels are back !! today

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi thought I would let you all know the aldi chisels recommended by pauls sellers are back in aldi as from today

as a newbie to hand tools and have just spent 170 pounds on a shave horse and gentlemans draw knife these fit my budget

I have a aldi store opening close to me next week , but I asked a friend this morning to pick me some up from her local aldi and she just text me to say she got them :lol: :lol:

I know there is better out there but if they are good enough for paul they are good enough for me

here is a link that he wrote yesterday so it looks like he looks out for when they are on sale !!

good instruction and video of how to get the best out of them

http://paulsellers.com/2014/01/chisels- ... anuary-uk/

mark

Junior was dispatched this morning to snag a set for me. I must confess I am impressed, especially for the price. I'm sure that there are those that would turn their noses up at them, but for a wood butcher like me, spot on. 8)

that's good bodge , I haven't got my hands on them yet but like you I am a wood butcher :lol: :lol:

paul sellers seems to rate them and his apprentices use them

I been praticing on some old chisels , weren't sure what I was doing but rubbed it on a oil stone then tried it on a piece of wood as I pushed it cut fairly easily and the shavings spiralled around that was good enough for me

as just starting out with hand tools I figured they be ok for me to blunt 8)

I'm a follower of paul sellers and bought a pack of these today as I'm pretty new to chisels. Can anyone advise me as to what stones or paper to use to help sharpen these up if needs be??

Ali":2mkhuv4t said:
I'm a follower of paul sellers and bought a pack of these today as I'm pretty new to chisels. Can anyone advise me as to what stones or paper to use to help sharpen these up if needs be??
Anything from oil/ water/ diamond stones or wet and dry paper of the 3m lapping films will work. You just need to see what you prefer for your budget. :)

I was about to post the same about them being in stock!

Typically, I couldn't wait earlier in the month so I bought a set of very nice Narex chisels about three weeks ago. However, I've just raced down to my local Aldo and picked up a set of the Workzone chisels. I'm going to have a go at lapping them in a bit.

Ali":27yvb7j2 said:

Ali, in Marks link at the top of this thread there is a link to a Paul Sellers video in which he demonstrates the entire sharpening process. Well worth watching for a complete muppet like me.
I have so far taken my set to 1200 grit as that is all I have to hand and they are easily the best chiseld I have ever owned. That probably says more about the quality of the old chisels than these mind! :lol:

It has to be said again, for £8 I am highly impressed.

Ali":1gkibj60 said:

Hi Ali,
I would suggest going back to Aldi and getting the diamond sharpening stones if you have not already.
Cheers
Mark

The Rutland ones are all marked 'Made in Germany' whereas the Aldi ones are Chinese.

I picked a set up today to see what the fuss is about and they do seem great value for money, although I'll have to use them a bit before knowing how good the tool steel is.
Handles are a lot more comfortable than they look, but not such a glossy varnish finish as in the photos on the blog mentioned in the OP (which is a good thing). A nicer oil finish will be an improvement.
Fettling the blade didn't take too long (waterstones and diamonds here) and they seem to take a good edge.

Probably not so much of a bargain if you charge for your time, but for anyone on a budget a great deal.

I missed the diamond stone I didn't realise they had them my friend went back in and she couldn't see any , pity as would have been ok for a newbie like me , I think I seen the same one on ebay so may try on there.

mark

The diamond stones in Aldi look identical to the ones you can get off eBay at the same price, so you've not missed any great bargain there.
Although I'm not convinced these dirt cheap diamond 'stones' are really up to the job compared to the more expensive ones or even a set of water stones. They never look particularly flat to me.

Rhossydd":yq02vhao said:
The diamond stones in Aldi look identical to the ones you can get off eBay at the same price, so you've not missed any great bargain there.
Although I'm not convinced these dirt cheap diamond 'stones' are really up to the job compared to the more expensive ones or even a set of water stones. They never look particularly flat to me.
I have one of those aldi stones. I use it merely for a quick touch up on the blades at work. Not really suitable for fine work.

Ali":28h7o4gw said:

Why not do what Sellers does? His sharpening is well documented, and is one of the many ways that works well enough.

BugBear

Just watched the video and will follow Paul's method of sharpening. My local aldi didn't have the diamond stones in stock either, but will have a go with papers first.

Ali":238pofg1 said:
Just watched the video and will follow Paul's method of sharpening. My local aldi didn't have the diamond stones in stock either, but will have a go with papers first.
If you stick them down properly, they won't tear so easily :)

I have used the Aldi Diamond Stones for a while now and fine them ideal for just touching
up the edges on my turning tools in between Tormek sharpening sessions

mac1012":1tv2e8kt said:
I missed the diamond stone I didn't realise they had them my friend went back in and she couldn't see any , pity as would have been ok for a newbie like me , I think I seen the same one on ebay so may try on there.

mark
There were 10 in Aldi at Sutton in Ashfield at 4.30 today ,now there are 9 , and about 20 sets of chisels.

Latest posts

Back