AEW vertical Band saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soulmiester

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all. so up until now i as a hobbyist wood worker have only ever used hobby based band saws.
Well today i purchased a very old and very heavy AEW band saw. the whole thing is cast iron including the base. the only thing i know about it is it was converted by an AEW engineer from 3phase to single phase and it was manufactured in the late 1950's.
So this thing is very powerful and id love to try and find out more about it. Is there anyone on this forum old enough to know anything about it? i know its British made and i have a picture of the manufacturing plate. firstly it will probably need a new belt and a bloody good service but where do i start lol. the old chap i bought it off gave me an absolute load of new blades for it but i really want to know more about it before i start using it.
The photos i have are on my phone so i will come back on my phone and edit this post with the pictures.
Kind regards
Lee.
Screenshot_20230222_161356_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox_edit_940564023091894.jpg
IMG_20230222_141759.jpg

Last edited:
This looks suspiciously like the one posted by @Stug on Monday. His was an R E Ward machine also made in Norwich. The title of his post is ' R. E. Ward bandsaw '

Two unknown and almost identical machines, both made in the same small town in Norfolk by R E Ward and A E Ward?! At least there are references for this one: AEW Viceroy Milling Machines
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that referencing a vertical milling machine and not a band saw?
Be interested to know how much these are actually worth? Apart from a piece of British manufacturing history, it's also a beast. Also the fact it was factory altered from 3phase to single must be a benefit.

Indeed. It's the connection that's of interest. Very nice bandsaws. Yours has the tension adjustment wheel on top. Look forward to more photos.

Indeed. It's the connection that's of interest. Very nice bandsaws. Yours has the tension adjustment wheel on top. Look forward to more photos.
Now even that bit of info is of interest, I wondered what that wheel was for. 🥴
Any idea on resale value on these?
I'd like to see if I got a bargain or a duff lol.

Hello again Lee this book might be of interest to you if you can source a copy on Amazon or eBay I found it invaluable when I got my first bandsaw it's American but the info is great it was printed in 1989 it gives a brief history of bandsaws as well as setting them up and types of blades and a few projects at the back
IMG_20230222_203411_620.jpg

Hello again Lee this book might be of interest to you if you can source a copy on Amazon or eBay I found it invaluable when I got my first bandsaw it's American but the info is great it was printed in 1989 it gives a brief history of bandsaws as well as setting them up and types of blades and a few projects at the back View attachment 153942
That is fantastic buddy, I will scour the net now, what a find. Thank you so much. 🙏

Hello again Lee this book might be of interest to you if you can source a copy on Amazon or eBay I found it invaluable when I got my first bandsaw it's American but the info is great it was printed in 1989 it gives a brief history of bandsaws as well as setting them up and types of blades and a few projects at the back View attachment 153942
I've just found and bought it on amazon. Thanks again. Your a star.

Latest posts

Back