Youtube bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmm Has he never heard of a lathe? I just wonder how he'd feel if a blade broke? Grade A silly person!

Scrit

It does seem that americans have a very low regard for safety. Only today I was watching video on finewoodworking.com and this chap who worringly is a tutor was using a table saw with no guards whatsoever, single long fence, and was happily pushing very small and thin pieces of wood through the blade, often running his fingers over the top of the blade and then removing the off-cuts with his hands whilest reaching over the spinning blade!! And to top it off he had the gaul to show how to be 'safe' by using a piece of ply to avoid kickback - thats the least of his worries when he actively moves his hands/fingers so close to the blade!

The trouble is, in my opinion, people carry out a dangerous technique without getting injured and this leads them to believe it is safe so they continue with the technique until the inevitable happens!

herdsman":eiwmb4u4 said:
The trouble is, in my opinion, people carry out a dangerous technique without getting injured and this leads them to believe it is safe so they continue with the technique until the inevitable happens!

You're correct on that score, but one of the main problems is illustrated in the video I watched and to some extents the 'Norm' series - many hobbyists will buy the tools and follow these techiques without question not even realise what they are doing is foolish, it's worrying espeically from such an established website that I mentioned in the previous post.

That guy must know Jim Henson........cos` he`s a muppet to be cutting like that, it only takes one lapse in concentration, one slip, or the blade to snap, and he wouldnt be picking hes nose any time soon........
still familiarity breeds contempt, probably got away with it so many times, he now thinks hes invincible...
does the poor sod not own a lathe????

I think he's trying to show us all how good his home made bandsaw works, pretty irresponsible to be putting it on youtube.

ByronBlack":8hqsvjyl said:
It does seem that americans have a very low regard for safety.

I would say he's Canadian judging by the accent :wink:

I do find this safety thing amusing. While there's no doubt that riving knives and split fences do reduce injury’s that's only due to the fact that it allows an operator to use an incorrectly set up machine without knowing it. I used a table saw for 4 years with no guard or rifing knife which was properly set up. The fence was parallel to the blade within 5 thou over the full length. Good technique was used using a push stick to hold the material down and against the full length fence to ensure it didn't ride up on the back of the blade. I always made cuts so the smaller and therefore lighter material be it the material to be used or the off cut was on the free side of the blade as not to get trapped between the fence and blade. The blade was always exposed so you could see clearly a) what you were doing and b) when the blade had stopped and therefore when it was safe to remove an off cut. Guess what, not one instance of kick back and I still have all my fingers. I recently up graded to a new saw with all these 'safety features' and when I think about it I've already let safety standards slip. Before, I used to check the fence alignment all the time but now I haven’t checked it since I first set it. If it is out the rifing knife will hide any snag. I find myself making cuts I would never have considered making on the previous saw. Slivers the width of a push stick between the blade and fence for example. Ok the split fence and knife will save me here as well but I would have written the cut off as unsafe perviously and cut it another way. A week after I got the saw I tilted the blade and the dust extraction hose on the crown guard obviously didn't have enough give or got snagged up. It effectively pulled to plastic blade guard into the blade only slightly and as the guard covers the knife and blade it was impossible to see. On start up the blade smashed the guard sending piece all over the place. Fortunately I wasn't hurt but it was a hell of a shock and probably the closest I've come to an incident.

IMHO The bottom line is that I think safety is in the eye or the user. If you're the sort of person who's both feet first, impatient and half pineappled in your set up then all these safety devices will let you plough through work with no real regard for technique or accuracy and you'll escape uninjured.

However if you are methodical and patient, set up your machines carefully and see the merit in being able to fully see the dangerous areas and spinning parts and appreciate the versatility of having the blade uncovered then good for you and just be careful.

MIGNAL":2xe1j4qf said:
I think he's trying to show us all how good his home made bandsaw works, pretty irresponsible to be putting it on youtube.

I'm not sure that it is homemade. The label on the tin says Phoenix which unless I'm mistaken is a bandsaw designed for cutting metals and is gear driven rather than by belt etc for increased torque. But then what I know about machines is next to nowt so I fully expect to be corrected.
Mike

Don't think I could do that on my Startrite 352 without some sorta special blade at least. Do do deep rips though, for door rail tenons 10 to 12". Have to back out every few inches to clear out the sawdust which backfills the slot. Blade loses sharpness and set very quickly.
Band saw is relatively safe however - broken blade a rare occurrence and although it might make a big bang it stops dead safely as the tension goes off. Not heavy, little momentum and plenty of friction.

cheers
Jacob

I agree with all those who have posted about safety being in the eye of the user, it's perfectly fine what an individual gets up to in their home, but it's not OK when amateurs and hobbyst are being taught dangerous methods by so called tutors and experts, AND it is mostly american sites or shows that I've seen this on so i'm not being unfair there.

At the risk of getting shot down in flames what is so dangerous about this cut?

Once the cut has started the blade is buried in the wood and the top guide is just above the top of the wood. The base of the wood is always supported on the table and should the blade break it is totally concealed.
His fingers are near the blade at the start and end of the cut but he is obviously showing off the capacity and accuracy of a machine he has made and knows well.

Have any of you guys seen how Sam Maloof (who has a full compliment of fingers) uses a bandsaw to shape his chair parts? Looks much dodgier that this cut.

Well he knows what he's doing and has obviously done it before.
But the biggest hazard with a band saw IMHO is with pieces which are not firmly seated on the table e.g. round logs - they can spin and jam, or you might forget that the blade is coming out under it and catch your fingers.
Unstable pieces like this example can tilt and suddenly jam the blade which may break out from the workpiece, even though it looks safely contained within.
No doubt Scrit will fill in the details!
cheers
Jacob

Mr_Grimsdale":v6rgec3p said:
or you might forget that the blade is coming out under it and catch your fingers.
Any silly person who forgets the blade comes out the bottom deserves to have their fingres cut off! :tool:

p111dom":1scgd190 said:
I do find this safety thing amusing. While there's no doubt that riving knives and split fences do reduce injury’s that's only due to the fact that it allows an operator to use an incorrectly set up machine without knowing it.
Really? So you've used a saw for 4 years, presumably without ever bothering to read anything useful about safety or have a training session - and survived. So what! There are many recorded instances of even experienced woodworkers who've used a rip saw sans riving knife, etc without incident all their working lives only to have a serious accident in their last few years of work. The riving knife/short rip fence are to protect you from the effects of reaction timber. They are nothing at all to do with being able to use a machine which is "wrongly set-up", because a machine which is correctly set-up has a correctly adjusted, properly sized riving knife, a crown guard, dust extraction, a short-position rip fence, a run off table and is supplied with at least two push sticks. Your table saw technique is both risky and unpredictable and most certainly not the "good technique" you would claim, and how would you fare if you were trying to centre rip a 12in wide piece of reaction elm and it parted both ways? Your technique of leaving a thin offcut to one side of the blade doesn't work in that situation..... Please go a read a book on wood machining and learn a bity more before youy do yourself a mischief

p111dom":1scgd190 said:
IMHO The bottom line is that I think safety is in the eye or the user.
Ninety years of woodwork machining practice says that safety is in the proper use of the safety equipment and in the adoption of the correct, i.e. the safe, technique by the operator. It is not a eye thing at all - it is a discipline, a mindset, in conjunction with training (book or class). It is probable that you've never worked in either manufacturing or construction where that sort of attitude could see you, and others, seriously injured.

spadge":1scgd190 said:
At the risk of getting shot down in flames what is so dangerous about this cut?
The piece being cut is very tall and has a very small footprint. The two dangers are of break-out of the blade from the edge caused by misfeeding (toppling) or of blade breakage as the hands are extremely close to the blade. Assuming that the blade is fully in the timber (and that you are therefore protrected by it) is probably the biggest mistake - on lighter bandsaws you really can't pull enough tension to guarantee that there won't be any bowing of the blade in the cut especially on deeper cuts. And in any case it is quicker and more accurate, not to mention a lot safer, to turn the piece on a lathe..... :roll:

Scrit

Latest posts

Back