Your Cars

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My definition of a great car is one that makes you smile every time you walk toward it.
I remember reading a road test comparing a Merc sports car with a Ferrari (I forget which models). On paper they were very similar cars: same engine configuration, vehicle layout, power, performance etc. The author said the main difference was that you could go out to the Merc in the morning, jump in, start up and be off straight away. With the Ferrari you always had to take 5 minutes to walk around it and admire it before you even unlocked it.

Rover 75.
Beautiful, beautiful dashboard design and layout.
Beautiful shaped rear numberplate.
Head gasket #1 not so beautiful.
Head gasket #2, 2 months after #1, even less so....
Did you have the head skimmed & fit the modified gasket? I've replaced more Rover 'K(rappy)' series head gaskets than any other vehicle in my working life.

I still like this a lot which is the 5th one I have owned.

View attachment 97924
Also like driving this which is #19 sold it once the bought it back.
View attachment 97925
In the past I had some MG Maestros ad company cars they were quick at the time and driven hard.
Best 4x4 would be Nissan XTrail which was luxurious but capacious and comfy.
Re family saloons Saab 900 which was a great ride comfortable at high speeds
How can anyone love a TR7?. One almost puts one's shoulder out pulling on the handbrake!

I have fond memories of a canary yellow Dolomite Sprint I bought 2nd hand with 25k on the clock, very quick in a straight line. I thrashed the @RSE off it and my wife was in tears when I drove it to a knackers yard with 96k on the clock! In later years I got back on my bike and commuted daily 80m round trip into London on these , last one was a track day at Magny-Cours
Ducati.jpg
Moi.jpg

My first car was a 1938 Rover 14... Cost me£25 (in olde/real) money; spent £25 on it; sold it for £25.

Was sometimes referred to as the poor man's limo...

A joy to drive even though it was showing its age and need some restoration work (in the very early '60s) Pitty I don't have it today as likely worth a mini bomb now?

Rover 110 the P4 version from the late 50's. with a 2.2 engine I got the over 2000cc milage rate in the late 70's which from memory was about 30p per mile. I made a fortune from it as it had only cost me £50.00.

Just remembered it had a valve radio and occasionally the vibrator which allowed the transformers to generate the high voltage for the valves would stick and the radio would not work and I would not notice and not turn it off. I occasionally parked it at hotels around London and when I came out in the morning the battery would be flat as the heaters in the radio would be on and I, all suited up, would have to get the handle out and wind it up. It always started first swing.

Last edited:
The first car I owned was a Daf Variomatic van. My abiding memory of it, is driving in the Pyrenees, in the dark, with the headlights barely illuminating the road. The other is of the rubber belts snapping when driving through Brixton one evening I think it was a vehicle more suited to the flat landscape of Holland, than any other, more challenging, terrain.

In 1950 driving lorrys with a rug over the engine you had to double de clutch and wait ages in neutral for the revs to die down before putting it into the new gear

The first car I owned was a Daf Variomatic van. My abiding memory of it, is driving in the Pyrenees, in the dark, with the headlights barely illuminating the road. The other is of the rubber belts snapping when driving through Brixton one evening I think it was a vehicle more suited to the flat landscape of Holland, than any other, more challenging, terrain.
I remember driving a Daf, very weird with the revs remaining steady as you went faster. If I remember correctly one quirk was that it could go as fast in reverse as it could forwards 😳

Reminded me of a road test of motor bike in a bike mag. in the late '60s early '70s. When it got to the details it said - Lights by Lucas, Prince of Darkness.
But at least you could buy spare parts to fix said electrics. Diode rectifiers for alternators on my Capri were in constant demand.

I have always liked playing with cars - built kit cars,customised 'em and finally restoring my classic Riley RM which I owned for twenty five years. I enrolled on a City & Guilds panel beating course which made me go out on a winters night lugging a wing with me to use the super machines we had at night school. I finally had to let her go as I spend a lot of time in the US with my family and was not using her enough. Fond memories,happy days

Attachments

• Riley Valuation 3.JPG
    Riley Valuation 3.JPG
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
But at least you could buy spare parts to fix said electrics. Diode rectifiers for alternators on my Capri were in constant demand.
Ah the old Lucas alternator. Just rebuilt the Denso one on my daughter's car, certainly missed the ease with which you could take apart a Lucas one! But have to say they were a piece of junk compared to contemporary Bosch ones. Just as well they came apart easily, you were going to be taking it apart on a fairly regular basis! The Japanese ones were a revelation when I first saw one, half the size and so much better quality.

Back