Disassembly and transporting of Diamond scrollsaw.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zanx

Reaction score
As much as I hate to make my first post borderline heresy, I have to ask. I am likely to be collecting a bargain Diamond (J Woodward) scrollsaw some time soon, long story short I'll be collecting it on a motorbike because of ULEZ charges other costs if I take the car. I'm considering dismantling it slightly to reduce the amount of leverage and damage on certain parts, is there anything I should be really really careful of? Is there an exploded diagram of one somewhere so I can get a bit of a headsup? Thanks :)

@Zanx:

I don't know that saw personally, AND I'm not a biker either!

But member scrimper and (if I remember correctly) Lofty Hermes both have Diamond scroll saws. If neither of them come along here soon I suggest you send them a PM. I'm sure one or other of them will at least have drawings (if I recall, scrimper knew the inventor/manufacturer of the original Diamond saws).

HTH

@Zanx:

I don't know that saw personally, AND I'm not a biker either!

But member scrimper and (if I remember correctly) Lofty Hermes both have Diamond scroll saws. If neither of them come along here soon I suggest you send them a PM. I'm sure one or other of them will at least have drawings (if I recall, scrimper knew the inventor/manufacturer of the original Diamond saws).

HTH
Thank you, I've seen Scrimpers videos and was delighted to see he frequents the forum. I just don't want to accidentally damage what is essentially a bit of history.

You can remove the wooden table and release the tension on the arm to tie it to the table , that’s it the frame is all welded so cannot be disassembled
If it has a stand that bolts together that does come apart

Personally I wouldn't fancy your chances carrying it on a bike. Which saw is it we are talking about? I have one of the older 25" saws and it's 30kg and pretty much a metre long. The later versions (with a curved over column for the top arm) save a bit of depth but that maybe a matter of 150mm. Popping off the table saves a bit of length at the front, top arm is easy enough to remove (although that means ignoring the maker's advice to never touch the bearings) but as noted above the frame is welded, and in particular the column for the top arm is sticking up with no scope for removal. Removing motor and pulleys may further cut down weight but I would have thought the remaining main chassis will still be a 20kg block with relatively little scope for "easy" weight cutting.

When I picked up mine it went in the boot of a Nissan Micra. Fitted in no problem but equally, it essentially filled the boot.

Removing bits and pieces of it won't really help, as you'll still need to transport them.
Better making a box that you can bolt to your bike frame and put it in that.

Other option would be to ask the seller to meet outside the ULEZ and use the car.

I am a Diamond owner and a biker (Honda ST1100 pan euro), and in my younger days before I had a car licence I used to carry around my tool box on the back of a Royal Enfield in my job repairing washing machines but I have to say that I would not fancy transporting a Diamond on any motor cycle even in pieces unless I had a side-car or trailer. Even if you stripped it down the main frame is still large and heavy.

I know how you feel about paying to get there, however you say you got the saw at a bargain price so why not just pay the charge and avoid all the hassle of taking it to bits and reassembling later.

I suppose you could say that the saw is no heavier than a person riding pillion but at least they can hold on and balance, a diamond would be a bit precarious unless you have a really strong heavy duty bike rack?

You also risk being stopped by police for carrying an unsafe load and potentially no insurance if you had a mishap on the road and the insurers decided you weren't using the bike in accordance with the policy. Look at the small print

Back