You know you're getting old when...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you can remember buying a single razor blade for a 1/4p (the old type) and a packet of 3 for a shilling from the NAAFI :-({|=

a handy list of warning symptoms. Thank the fates none of them apply to me. :---)

1/4d (a farthing) for one or a shilling for 3? I hope the maths mistake was deliberate Richard!
Or are you now enjoying a shave more than u-no-wot! :lol:

Hi Nev
I didn't mention the farthing, as the last time I did "I was asked whats that"?
That really was the price when I joined up in 56. That Gillette Blue blade wrapped up in grease proof paper was all we were allowed on kit inspections.
I seem to remember in those days Gillette blades had the Wilkinson motif on them.
Oh well I won't be seeing the 53rd anniversary of my 21st again. Whose old? But it beats the alternative.

I am again buying the old type blades Richard. Recently got tired of being ripped of with Gillette multi-blade disposable razors, and dug out my old double-edged safety razor.

Wilkinson's blades for me, because when I joined up in '54, I reasoned that if Wilkinson made the officers' swords, then the blades were probably the same! But they ain't a farthing apiece today!

Wilkinson blades are made in Germany, Gillette in Russia and China.

I've recently switched to DE shaving having unearthed my 1960's (Made in USA) Gillette Slim adjustable razor.
Started off at a low (safe) setting and gradually worked up the numbers - now achieving great results.
Blades work out at about 20p to 40p depending on brand!

Rod

Back