Year 10 slowly getting the hang of it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just trying to vary the form a little Graham, it's good folks preferences differ so much, all seem to find a home and it means I can let the wood make most of the decisions.

Another bit of Yew salvaged from the collection of splits it was growing, 150mm dia.
DSCN4508.JPG
DSCN4509.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4508.JPG
    DSCN4508.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 586
  • DSCN4509.JPG
    DSCN4509.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 586
You guessed it, a bit more Yew, 148mm dia.
DSCN4510.JPG
DSCN4511.JPG
DSCN4512.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4510.JPG
    DSCN4510.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 545
  • DSCN4511.JPG
    DSCN4511.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 545
  • DSCN4512.JPG
    DSCN4512.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 545
Just trying to get a requested batch out of the way Paul, left some awkward blanks on the bench till last, next couple of days will see if there is anything in the middle of them other than rubbish.
Probably have enough dried in the store for about ten or a dozen more, whether I can work up the enthusiasm to keep going without changing tack for a while we will have to see.

Got self into gear early enough to spend an hour before lunch making a mess in the shed.
Think I'm going to have to leave rest of this batch of stock a while, or only cut blanks as required as the last ones in the pre-prepared batch are starting to open up.

Yew, 150mm dia.
DSCN4515.JPG
DSCN4514.JPG
DSCN4513.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4515.JPG
    DSCN4515.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCN4514.JPG
    DSCN4514.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 511
  • DSCN4513.JPG
    DSCN4513.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 511
Well some asked if anything ever goes wrong,
Well it's not so much gone wrong but an annoyance, never one to deliberately take something off the lathe with a tooling blemish showing, this one caught me out, not visible in normal daylight situations but as soon as it's put in the light tent radial tooling marks are visible on the inner surface.

Pear 163mm dia.
DSCN4517.JPG
DSCN4518.JPG

Was originally going to offer this and hopefully a couple more pieces as a bit of a mystery, if it wasn't for the fact that the wood came as a gift (thanks PaulJ) with all the bark on and an original leaf example I would have sworn it was Walnut the wood is so dark.
It's pretty punky in areas so the tree was probably well in decline before harvesting.
Other Pear I collected locally last year has identical cratered bark, almost Cork like in appearance, you would be forgiven for thinking it was the same tree, but is a pale pink in colour throughout akin to Cherry.

Attachments

• DSCN4517.JPG
    DSCN4517.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 1,087
  • DSCN4518.JPG
    DSCN4518.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 1,087
That is one nice piece of wood and you have done it proud.

I know what you mean about marks you sand and inspect everything looks good apply a finish still looks good take it off the lathe and out of the shed and there it is a nice tool mark.

That certainly doesn't look like the pear i turned Chas from the same batch,but on saying that it was from a different supplier to my usual and the pear was mixed up with other sawn up logs so might have picked up summat different??
Pity about the marks,and you have plenty of daylight in the shed.
Lovely bowl though Chas,will you be power sanding the marks out??

Paul.J":17f5ram2 said:
That certainly doesn't look like the pear i turned Chas from the same batch,but on saying that it was from a different supplier to my usual and the pear was mixed up with other sawn up logs so might have picked up summat different??
It's got me puzzled Paul, given the wood without the Bark I would have said Walnut but the bark is so thick and open textured and looks identical to some pear I have, plus I've never seen Walnut with such open texture bark.

Paul.J":17f5ram2 said:
Pity about the marks,and you have plenty of daylight in the shed.
Lovely bowl though Chas,will you be power sanding the marks out??
Thinking about it Paul, they niggle, but might just make matters worse if I touch it.

The wood is just on the cusp of being firewood fodder for hardness, like spalted beech that has gone a bit too far, will see what happens with the next piece I think.

I get offcuts of American black walnut from the furniture factory with the strong contrasting that you have here Chas but the graining is not as open looking as in your bowl. Should be able to tell the difference by the smell, very different to pear.

Pete

Likewise on the furniture grade stuff Pete, coming to conclusion that this being a much smaller diameter UK grown tree the grain patterns are showing up differently.

Wood is very much passed it's sell-by date so smell is difficult to compare.

Attachments

• DSCN4519.JPG
    DSCN4519.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,047
  • DSCN4520.JPG
    DSCN4520.JPG
    166.8 KB · Views: 1,045
  • DSCN4521.JPG
    DSCN4521.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 1,045
  • DSCN4522.JPG
    DSCN4522.JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 1,043
  • DSCN4523.JPG
    DSCN4523.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 1,043
I would put money on that being English walnut, I turned some a couple of years ago which looked identical to that, even down to the small hole in the centre of the pith.

This is the Pear I currently have from a known orchard, and why the Bark was confusing me.
DSCN4524.JPG
DSCN4525.JPG
DSCN4526.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4524.JPG
    DSCN4524.JPG
    206.6 KB · Views: 1,037
  • DSCN4525.JPG
    DSCN4525.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 1,037
  • DSCN4526.JPG
    DSCN4526.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 1,037
I think i have some the Pear left Chas i will have a look for it and see what i have.
That last piccy looks like the Elm i have,which i think you also had some of??

Latest posts

Back