Year 10 slowly getting the hang of it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Nine years in and still playing, looks like I'll be mostly sticking with little bits of wood for 2014.

The usual,
Ash and Walnut, 100mm dia.
DSCN4327.JPG
DSCN4328.JPG

Something a bit lighter in colour ways, home cured.
Hedgerow Ash and Elm, 165mm dia.
DSCN4329.JPG
DSCN4330.JPG

Aim for the year, to keep things simple and easy to machine, let the available wood have it's say in deciding how to throw it all together and just be happy to play when the mood takes me.

Attachments

• DSCN4327.JPG
    DSCN4327.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 3,224
  • DSCN4328.JPG
    DSCN4328.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 3,224
  • DSCN4329.JPG
    DSCN4329.JPG
    196.1 KB · Views: 3,224
  • DSCN4330.JPG
    DSCN4330.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 3,224
CHJ":1yn1x32b said:
Aim for the year, to keep things simple and easy to machine, let the available wood have it's say in deciding how to throw it all together and just be happy to play when the mood takes me.

A good philosophy I think!

Did you cheat with a beading tool on the first one or go freehand with a spindle gouge?

Now I like those, especially the second one. Your combinations of wood are always interesting but that one is quite subtle and very pleasing to my eye.

nev":1bmhyniu said:
....Did you cheat with a beading tool on the first one or go freehand with a spindle gouge?

Cheated, keeping things simple and avoiding the possible frustration of poor skill level rearing its ugly head.

Chas. Class ,Class ,Class . don't even think of changing ,If it ain't broke don't fix it .!!!!

Look forward to many more pictures , :lol: :lol: =D> =D>

Another two great pieces of segmented turning.

The first one reminds me of tribal jewellery with the segmented central section maybe a theme there

Both beautiful, I love the way you managed to get the figuring in the ash and elm bowl to show and jealous of the lack of toolmarks :)

Great work again Chas and glad to see you are gonna keep things simple for 2014 :shock:
I reckon you deserve an MBE for services to woodturning and heres to the next ten years =D>

woodfarmer":323bs0s4 said:
...., I love the way you managed to get the figuring in the ash and elm bowl to show

Using segments or sandwiched wood allows you to cut through the grain layers as you form the curves, this accentuates the 'figuring' , trying to remember which orientation produces which effect is the problem.
The inner base effect for instance is just the result of a shallow depression in the face of a 'flat plank'.

woodfarmer":323bs0s4 said:
...., jealous of the lack of toolmarks :)

That's what abrasives are for, sharp tools avoid too much bruising, but anyone who says they can get a perfect finish quickly straight off the gouge in differing wood density situations such as these pieces is fibbing.

Just make sure the abrasives are sharp and be careful not to round off details or undercut soft areas by pressing too hard.

Treat the abrasive as a cutting tool which you are controlling, either used freehand or supported with a block of wood or steel rule.

Be prepared to give the odd area a rub with the grain whilst piece is stationary, doing this often means that you can stop sanding a couple of grades coarser and not see any scratches than if the piece is rotating.

Both those pieces were treated with 120-180-240 grit prior to sealing and buffing.

That's awesome work! I bet it takes a lot of time setting up the piece? gluing all the bits and pieces of different wood together and making sure its just right - its excellent, precise joinery even before it's turned!

Keep up the good work!

Soylent1":3759azkt said:
That's awesome work! I bet it takes a lot of time setting up the piece? gluing all the bits and pieces of different wood together and making sure its just right - its excellent, precise joinery even before it's turned!

Don't be over awed, it is actually very simple and relatively quick to do.

The only criteria that have to be mastered are attention to detail in setting up your cutting saw and in turning the mating joints true.

Have a look at this PDF (2.6mb) and you will see how basic the assembly is, it's just the cutting that has to be accurate.

Post summut You naffed up chas just To give me a bit of confidence ...... :lol: more fine exquisite pieces like em all Chas fine examples of segmented turning wish mine stayed whole long enough to post.
Regards
Bill

Thanks for the comments gents but I'm far from an accomplished turner, I could never earn a living doing it, tool control is only just adequate, I spend more of my time finding 'engineering' ways to accomplish something than spending time improving my tool techniques, can't ever envision developing my hand skills to the point of having that straight from the tool finish achievable by many for instance or the patience to do more intricate work.

Practise does reduce the number of failures, and even if it does not improve your ability significantly it gives you the experience and chance to develop an operating method and shop/tool layout that makes mistakes and accidents less likely.

Latest posts

Back