Year 10 slowly getting the hang of it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a lot of shed time this week, other duties called but had half hour to relax in garden this afternoon before starting again.
Just an indication why spinning bits of wood has to take a back seat some days.

<<<<Linky Pic.

I know what you mean I spend 1/2 hour in the morning while it is still cool in the greenhouse and veg patch to do any weeding. Then off to the shed and back in the garden at the end of the day to do any watering. Darn it isn't it a hard life :twisted:

I know what you mean I have been tending to this lot a bed of poppies etc. around 20ft x 10ft.

flowers uk 14w.jpg

Attachments

• flowers uk 14w.jpg
    flowers uk 14w.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 965
Getting back to normal routine this week with luck, but there are still some chores need doing before the wood sorting starts.

Added some more pics to the veg. plot showing salad and herb beds amongst other things after a quick once over for kitchen needs this morning.
<<< linky Pic.

Snatched another (warm) hour in the shed.

Walnut 150mm dia.
DSCN4567.JPG
DSCN4566.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4567.JPG
    DSCN4567.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 869
  • DSCN4566.JPG
    DSCN4566.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 869
A couple more 'Simples' from differing woods whilst evaluating some tooling, turnings the easiest bit, trying to be subjective about products with differing characteristics against differing wood types has a distinct ability to provide enough variables it's hard to come to any conclusion other than "It's OK"

Elm, 167mm dia.
DSCN4568.JPG

Ash, 175mm dia.
DSCN4569.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4568.JPG
    DSCN4568.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 681
  • DSCN4569.JPG
    DSCN4569.JPG
    100 KB · Views: 681
'simple' is harder than fancy decorated or textured work Chas as you are well aware. Keep looking for tool marks or sanding marks and failing LOL

Pete

Bodrighy":opig32cf said:
Keep looking for tool marks or sanding marks and failing
You're not alone Pete, * mark one critic is apt to point out unusual characteristics as it is without me leaving ammunition if I can avoid it.

The biggest step forward in achieving less of the above I believe is to stop the lathe, look at the piece and then work on blemishes individually, the majority whilst still stationary.

* why do you think I only upload reduced resolution images. :)

Only some blank sorting today and shop and plot tidy up but managed to add half a dozen more shots of the garden to the page <<<linky pic.

CHJ":y4hok5vg said:
Only some blank sorting today and shop and plot tidy up but managed to add half a dozen more shots of the garden to the page <<<linky pic.

Just looked at you Plot looks great must be quite large. Would love to be able to dig a veg patch like that

devonwoody":105eu2zw said:
Nice garden Chas. is your wife head gardener?
Head critic more like John, although the daily "Tidy Look" aspects of the flower patches is her domain.

Paul.J":czw6oniy said:
Looking good Chas all round :D
Is that Elm some of what i gave you,looks better than anythng i have turned from it so doubt it is??
No Paul, it's some of the young hedgerow stuff I gleaned when my neighbour had to dress his field access lane to get equipment down.

CHJ":1qhc1yff said:
Paul.J":1qhc1yff said:
Looking good Chas all round :D
Is that Elm some of what i gave you,looks better than anythng i have turned from it so doubt it is??
No Paul, it's some of the young hedgerow stuff I gleaned when my neighbour had to dress his field access lane to get equipment down.
I didn't think it was,funny how you can identify wood in other ways :D

Back