Year 10 slowly getting the hang of it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes a Man has Got to Do what a Man has Got to Do.

Then of course he also has to do what he is instructed to do.
DSCN4477.JPG

And from the two bits of wood , bottom left.

Ash, 160mm.
DSCN4478.JPG

Ash, 162mm
DSCN4480.JPG
DSCN4482.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4477.JPG
    DSCN4477.JPG
    154.8 KB · Views: 1,099
  • DSCN4478.JPG
    DSCN4478.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 1,099
  • DSCN4480.JPG
    DSCN4480.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 1,099
  • DSCN4482.JPG
    DSCN4482.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 1,099
Holiday visitors duly entertained, a little retail therapy and associated lunches out so someone can have a change from kitchen duties, some odd jobs out of the way.
So a rainy morning excuse today to tidy up the greenhouse and spend a couple of hours in the shed. Nothing special, just another exercise in avoiding tool marks and trimmed knuckles.

Ash 165mm.
DSCN4494.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4494.JPG
    DSCN4494.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 1,047
That's a really good question. I just last week bought for the first time a beading cutter that fits in a stem. I tried it and it cuts the side grooves fine but the actual bead gets a mullering on its most outer edge. The grain was tearing quite badly necessitating some rescue work with a skew. That kind of defeats the object in my view. I was holding the cutter slightly down from centre and I took the trouble to lap the top with a diamond stone so in theory it was pretty sharp. Am I doing anything obviously wrong?

Paul.J":201jyujo said:
..Do you get much tear out with the beading tools, think i might be investing meself.
A great deal depends upon the wood species Paul, as a matter of fact the Ash is one of the worst for problems, it's very easy to tear/break-out the short grain areas. Soaking in sealer or thin CA can help but common sense would avoid such wood orientation.
But as is norm, the whim to try something and common sense are often mutually at odds.
As the beading tools I have are in effect profiled scrapers, keeping the edge sharp and at times angling them in trailing mode helps.
BT.jpg

Attachments

• BT.jpg
    BT.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,022
CHJ":2a32ne5b said:
But as is norm, the whim to try something and common sense are often mutually at odds.
Without these odds there would not be some of the great turnings that you have produced

I have thought about one or two of these so may have to save up and buy a couple

CHJ":fhonc9h2 said:
Paul.J":fhonc9h2 said:
..Do you get much tear out with the beading tools, think i might be investing meself.
A great deal depends upon the wood species Paul, as a matter of fact the Ash is one of the worst for problems, it's very easy to tear/break-out the short grain areas. Soaking in sealer or thin CA can help but common sense would avoid such wood orientation.
As the beading tools I have are in effect profiled scrapers, keeping the edge sharp and at times angling them in trailing mode helps.

I have got three different sizes of that chisel £5 each plus postage if anyone wants to contact me via pm.

Lovely work Chas. and we still have visitors around, 28 year old beautiful granddaughter coming in today.

Another basic for the batch.
Yew, 167mm dia.
DSCN4495.JPG
DSCN4496.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4495.JPG
    DSCN4495.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 963
  • DSCN4496.JPG
    DSCN4496.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 963
Random Orbital Bob":zn5sf09e said:
I just last week bought for the first time a beading cutter that fits in a stem. I tried it and it cuts the side grooves fine but the actual bead gets a mullering on its most outer edge. The grain was tearing quite badly necessitating some rescue work with a skew. That kind of defeats the object in my view. I was holding the cutter slightly down from centre and I took the trouble to lap the top with a diamond stone so in theory it was pretty sharp. Am I doing anything obviously wrong?

Hi

I have the same issue with my Sorby set, They are as sharp as I can make them but unless I stop forming the bead as soon as it is complete the top rips out. Tried it with different woods, close grain is obviously less prone but still suffers, and differing angles show that a slight trail is best, again no surprise there.

So all I really have to offer is to try and stop 'over forming' the bead.

Regards Mick

Grahamshed":96us30yk said:
Lovely, bet they sell better than the ash ones.
Yes Graham can't dry the wood fast enough, last year several tons of yew were taken out of the source woodland as firewood, guy doing the clear-out was only interested in easiest option, not converting it or any other form of marketing.
Managed to salvage a bit more from this winters crop thank goodness.

Tea Time commission for a couple of Cherry bowls, done, dusted and delivered by 20.00 hrs.
DSCN4498.JPG

Not a perfect match but customer was happy.

DSCN4499.JPG

42mm dia.

Attachments

• DSCN4498.JPG
    DSCN4498.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 941
  • DSCN4499.JPG
    DSCN4499.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 941
Trying to keep up with demand, never quite as pleasurable as just doing your own thing.

Yew, 170mm dia.
DSCN4500.JPG

Yew, 172mm dia.
DSCN4501.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4500.JPG
    DSCN4500.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 684
  • DSCN4501.JPG
    DSCN4501.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 684
Two more moved to the out box.

Ash, 175mm dia.
DSCN4503.JPG

Yew, 135mm dia.
DSCN4504.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4503.JPG
    DSCN4503.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 653
  • DSCN4504.JPG
    DSCN4504.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 653
Paul.J":35i3mph7 said:
Have you put a flat base in the Ash bowl??
Almost Paul, slight slope towards centre which parallels outer base, customer wants usable volume in a few as opposed to just flowing lines.

Felt the need for a bit more lift today,
Yew, 153mm dia.
DSCN4505.JPG
DSCN4506.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4505.JPG
    DSCN4505.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 619
  • DSCN4506.JPG
    DSCN4506.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 619
Back