Year 10 slowly getting the hang of it.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could not resist converting more of this chunk to shavings so that it would hold more than a couple of Walnuts.

Ash 175mm dia.
DSCN4456.JPG
DSCN4458.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4456.JPG
    DSCN4456.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 530
  • DSCN4458.JPG
    DSCN4458.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 530
Battle of the Bark and Branch inclusions.

Yew 180mm diam.
DSCN4464.JPG
DSCN4465.JPG
DSCN4466.JPG
DSCN4468.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4464.JPG
    DSCN4464.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 503
  • DSCN4465.JPG
    DSCN4465.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 503
  • DSCN4466.JPG
    DSCN4466.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 503
  • DSCN4468.JPG
    DSCN4468.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 503
Another one ready for collection.
Yew 170mm dia.
DSCN4469.JPG
DSCN4470.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4469.JPG
    DSCN4469.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 485
  • DSCN4470.JPG
    DSCN4470.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 485
Very nice. I wish I had more logs to turn.
Must go visit my tree surgeon soon.

Every morning I pass a row of newly felled trees already cut into 2 metre lengths.
They keep trying to jump in my van. If only....

Aren't they just fantastic ? The quality of the turning goes without saying but that wood is truly awesome.

JustBen":f9nbzf2c said:
Very nice. I wish I had more logs to turn.
Must go visit my tree surgeon soon.

Every morning I pass a row of newly felled trees already cut into 2 metre lengths.
They keep trying to jump in my van. If only....
Never have a problem sourcing wood, trying to get it in a fit state to turn is a different matter not least finding the patience quotient needed and getting others to appreciate the need for it.

Grahamshed":29jqiq0i said:
Aren't they just fantastic ? The quality of the turning goes without saying but that wood is truly awesome.
Unfortunately as Pete will no doubt verify it's the character wood that provides the most agro. and can be disproportionately time consuming.
Trying not to be too precious about included imperfections as long as they hold together naturally, recipient is not into artificial enhancements.

Another morning effort, warts and all.

Yew 166mm dia.
DSCN4471.JPG
DSCN4472.JPG
DSCN4473.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4471.JPG
    DSCN4471.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,066
  • DSCN4472.JPG
    DSCN4472.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,066
  • DSCN4473.JPG
    DSCN4473.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,066
Yew is indeed a gorgeous wood but it has a mind of it's own. I have a bowl that I turned a week or two ago and it came off the lathe looking great. It has been indoors since then and has developed a split. I am now waiting for it to stop moving so I can fill the split. As Chas says, character wood often has hidden splits etc./ I have just been given a root ball that looks really promising. I'll get some photos of it and perhaps do a WIP as it could fall apart or become a thing of beauty. Who knows.

Pete

Another piece off the production line and delivered this morning.

Ash 170mm dia.
DSCN4474.JPG

Now to sort out the kit for some basic pens for someone that have been awaiting the enthusiasm to tackle.

Attachments

• DSCN4474.JPG
    DSCN4474.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,034
Started on the Pens, nothing special, wood source is the guiding factor and everyday users required.
Most are Yew with a bit of Beech and Ash.
DSCN4475.JPG

A few more to do when the mood takes.

Did manage to find some unexpected work in the shop setting up for these, the Versa Chuck I have as currently set-up does not run true enough for pen turning.
Nothing significant to show on bowls, well within the range expected from differing wood compression of spigots etc. so had not noticed.
So it's out with the dial gauge in the near future and find where the problem is, Body (don't think so, not externally anyway) Jaw Carriers/scroll or Accessory Jaw location.

Attachments

• DSCN4475.JPG
    DSCN4475.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,002
JustBen":hs0r4k0a said:
Have you done/thought about doing a video of you turning a project from start to finish?
Yes but there are never enough hours in the day, and my technique/methods would probably drive the professionals to despair.

It's always nice to see how others do it and which path they take to the finished result be it the 'professional' way or not.

I too would drive people crazy if they saw how I work but it works for me.

What is the 'professional' way? Talk to ten pros and you are likely to get ten different answers. The only right way is the safe way that works for you.

Pete

CHJ":3elx9rcs said:
.......Did manage to find some unexpected work in the shop setting up for these, the Versa Chuck I have as currently set-up does not run true enough for pen turning.
Nothing significant to show on bowls, well within the range expected from differing wood compression of spigots etc. so had not noticed.
So it's out with the dial gauge in the near future and find where the problem is, Body (don't think so, not externally anyway) Jaw Carriers/scroll or Accessory Jaw location.
Spent half hour this evening sorting the above problem.
Dial gauge out and put on the engineering hat.
Give Scroll and Jaw carriers a brush down
Chuck body fitted to spindle and checked run-out of periphery:-- 0.001" ----------- near enough.
Check Jaw Carrier Safety/Location spigots run-out:- 0.002" as near as I can determine without hard clamping.
Clamp steel bar test piece in inner Carrier Nose Jaws, run-out :- 0.015"............... !!!****???!!!

Fortunately all biased to one Jaw Carrier, No.4. Out with the fine file and draw file nose of No.4 and check with a couple of carrier removal and re-fits and settle for less than 0.002" run-out as being near enough.

Another little niggle sorted, think I'll have a large Late Bottled Vintage Port to bolster the feel good factor.

Chas. could you come down and sort mine out, I reckon it could be 1mm out?

So bought another new one yesterday. a cheapie, should see me out.

There are definite advantages to having spent your life doing 'practical' things rather than life sciences. I would have no idea where to start with that.

Back