Yankee screwdrivers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the boatyard of my youth and apprenticeship, apprentices were not allowed to own a Yankee screwdriver, that was the mark of a fully qualified tradesman. Skipping across a nice piece of varnish work on somebodies’ yacht would not make you the Foreman's favourite. I now have three of the large ones plus a hex bit holder, so mine do come out to do a turn now and again.

I have several, use occasionally. The Millers Falls version don’t have the nasty spring release that most Stanleys do. If looking for bits, just look for a screwdriver with a shank diameter that’s close. Cut off length needed and file/cut notches to match a bit you still have.

Dear old departed dad showed me this dayam near 55 years ago,now!

I also have one with the maroon handle. Had lots of use when I was an aircraft fitter, in the days before battery screw drivers. Some panels on the aircraft had hundreds of screws, and the Yankee was a blessing. Also extra torque when faced with corroded screws.

I use a smaller one most days and larger ones now and again. Always ready to use and no flat batteries. They are a bit tricky with slotted screws but so are cordless drills. They're not great for removing screws so usually go for a cordless.
DSCF8590.JPG

The top one is made by Talco in Japan that has hardly been used, probably the previous owner went over to cordless and it got put away.

You could get them without the return spring. Required two hands, one to hold the collar to keep the bit in the screw; but safer, as the shaft didn't pop out on its own.

I don't use the screwdrivers much anymore, but I still use the related Yankee push drill a lot. Just the thing for small hardware around the house (installing shades and blinds, for instance), because it's compact and light and fits in your back pocket while you're up on the ladder. Also allows drilling in tight corners, such as when you forgot, before assembling the cabinet, to install some hardware near a corner on a piece of furniture.

I use mine all the time making windows as the furniture comes with slotted screws and I'm not putting those in with my Milwaukee. First one was inherited from my late father and is in better condition ( maroon handle) except for the spring not working and the one I now use one that was gifted to me by an old retired painter who recognised that I could give it a home where it would get used, the handle (bare wood) has a split but the spring is ok

I keep a small one loaded with a countersink bit for use on hardwoods - one push is usually enough.
(although a fully manual countersink only takes a few twists of the wrist)

Latest posts

Back