Need to buy a "sharp but broad" slotted screwdriver for a particular job

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never ever seen, let alone used, a screwdriver parallel or hollow ground, in 70+ years of driving screws!
Some overthinking going on here?
It'd be quite difficult to achieve precisely without bluing the edge and softening it

I'd use another old screwdriver rather than spoiling the edge on the one I want to use for screwing.
My old screwdrivers are the ones that are shorter than they were because, early in my 70 years of driving screws(mainly in precision engineering), I learned by experience that a tapered screwdriver tip is a means of making an awkward job difficult, so the tips are regularly dressed. It's far from difficult if one has a bench grinder, and anyone who can grind a chisel or plane blade should be able to do it.

My old screwdrivers are the ones that are shorter than they were because, early in my 70 years of driving screws(mainly in precision engineering), I learned by experience that a tapered screwdriver tip is a means of making an awkward job difficult, so the tips are regularly dressed. It's far from difficult if one has a bench grinder, and anyone who can grind a chisel or plane blade should be able to do it.
OK for precision engineering I guess, but very few woodworkers "regularly dress" screwdrivers. Just if urgently necessary, and filed not ground on a wheel.
Trying to import precision engineering techniques into woodwork can often make things more difficult, not less. Just look at the craziness of modern sharpening!

I was lucky to find a set of parallel side gunsmiths screwdrivers at a flea-market which were my go-to drivers for antique screws, but that was pure luck

You could find one of these
https://www.amazon.ca/Stanley-J5446A-2-Inch-Socket-16-Inch/dp/B002FCP4DOa drag-link socket - and regrind it to your needs

Old screws are often rusted in place, and the advantage of using a ratchet to turn it would give you more torque, but most importantly more feel as to when you're making progress.

Sometimes a slight "tighten" makes "loosening' more easy

OK for precision engineering I guess, but very few woodworkers "regularly dress" screwdrivers. Just if urgently necessary, and filed not ground on a wheel.
Trying to import precision engineering techniques into woodwork can often make things more difficult, not less. Just look at the craziness of modern sharpening!
The reason many woodworkers (and people in other trades) buy new screwdrivers is that they don't treat their screwdrivers as precision tools, when there is good reason to treat them as well as they treat chisels and plane blades. If you're going to drive screws with something that you recently used to remove cement from brickwork, you'll find it difficult, and removing the butchered screws will be almost impossible.

Latest posts

Back