Need to buy a "sharp but broad" slotted screwdriver for a particular job

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The screwdrivers ... are known as London Pattern Screwdrivers.

When that name was used, what other patterns might have been available? In other words, how did the classification system work? Was it London, Paris, New York, Munich (everybody talk about pop music) or London, Birmingham, Shefflied, etc.?

When that name was used, what other patterns might have been available? In other words, how did the classification system work? Was it London, Paris, New York, Munich (everybody talk about pop music) or London, Birmingham, Shefflied, etc.?
Could be wrong but I've always assumed "London Pattern" was just advertisers' hype for something a bit posher then the ordinary.

We all know what "Birmingham screwdrivers" are. :)

In the late sixties I had a length of conduit with a small section of hacksaw blade (heavy duty) trapped in the end with bicycle handlebar grip.These were used to screw in hundreds of self tapping screws. Ground down to suit this may work for you.
Tony

AS DJ and Stuart have said; the end of a screwdriver should be, at least, parallel, but preferably hollow ground. If the slot is paint-filled, place the corner of the driver tip at the edge of the slot, and tap the driver across the slot to clear it. Tapping the driver vertically can jam the paint in the slot until it gets even more solid.

AS DJ and Stuart have said; the end of a screwdriver should be, at least, parallel, but preferably hollow ground.
I've never ever seen, let alone used, a screwdriver parallel or hollow ground, in 70+ years of driving screws!
Some overthinking going on here?
It'd be quite difficult to achieve precisely without bluing the edge and softening it
If the slot is paint-filled, place the corner of the driver tip at the edge of the slot, and tap the driver across the slot to clear it.
I'd use another old screwdriver rather than spoiling the edge on the one I want to use for screwing.

I've never ever seen, let alone used, a screwdriver parallel or hollow ground, in 70+ years of driving screws!
Some overthinking going on here?
Jacob, look up Fine Woodworking back issues. There is a great article in one early edition, addressing exactly this point. When you see the acompanying diagram, you will see it makes sense.

Jacob, look up Fine Woodworking back issues. There is a great article in one early edition, addressing exactly this point. When you see the acompanying diagram, you will see it makes sense.
I'm sure it makes sense but keeping a regularly used screwdriver in good condition with a hollow or parallel ground tip would be very difficult, probably impossible. Nobody bothers - the normal tip is good enough.

I will not feed the troll.
I will....
Seems a fair question. No need to get over excited! How would you keep a regularly used screwdriver in good condition with a hollow or parallel ground tip? Do you do this yourself? If not why not?

I keep a selection of various size 1/4” hex bits to fit a interchangeable bit screwdriver that I grind carefully on a bench grinder to suit whatever slotted screw I may encounter using the side of the stone to keep it flat and parallel. Doesn’t take long nor is it particularly difficult to get an exact fit, if you overdo it and grind the bit too thin it you just get another bit and try again as they cost peanuts, wear it out, grind a new one.

I keep a selection of various size 1/4” hex bits to fit a interchangeable bit screwdriver that I grind carefully on a bench grinder to suit whatever slotted screw I may encounter using the side of the stone to keep it flat and parallel. Doesn’t take long nor is it particularly difficult to get an exact fit, if you overdo it and grind the bit too thin it you just get another bit and try again as they cost peanuts, wear it out, grind a new one.
Never felt the need, except a few times with some very small screws. Generally make do with my collection of old screwdrivers.

Back