Yandles 9-10 April

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wizer":326eumh8 said:
Sat for me too. 12pm at the CHT stall with Philly?

Oops, we were at Chestnut stall at 12pm... Maybe that was why we were the only 2 there :oops:

I cracked in the end and went for the CL4 lathe, but by the time I had asked absolutely everyone I could recognize for an opinion, they had sold all of them, even the display model. So I have one one back order with free shipping and some extra knocked off the price. Hurrah for the nice guys at Record.

There you go Martin. Now you're Internet Famous ;)

Frugal. I don't think there was any sort of formal meet like the 'good old day'. I think people tend to go stealth these days. Hence Chas's comment about people leaving their badges at home. Still, I managed to shift a few more (thankfully). ;)

Had a really good day. Met up with Pete (Newt), Rob (Woodbloke), Waka, Paul (paulm), Les (Routermonster), Tom (wizer) & Mr & Mrs Frugal.

Martin and Clive seemed to be doing good business on the BriMarc stand. Philly had some lovely examples of his planes - they seem to be getting better and better. Had a good chat with Mike Hudson and treated myself to one of these

Clifton410.jpg

I'll have a complete set soon :oops: :lol:

Also bought a Triton Superjaws bench with jaws for gripping logs at a good price.

All in all an excellent show and fabulous weather.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

wizer":2auotjif said:
Caught Paul having a chat with Mike Hancock.

DSC_0762.JPG

What's the betting they were talking about something from this range?:

DSC_0758.JPG

;) They are lovely. Very tempting!

:whistle: :lol:

Tom - Yandles is primarily a Timber Merchant, hence the wood. :D

If you look closely at the photos you can see some of the eye watering prices!
You did not photograph the two boards of snakewood at £500 and £400?:shock:
I wanted some blackwood but apart from some Clarinet Bell rejects, what they had left was pretty rubbish?

Rod

Paul Chapman":3nf8eams said:
Had a really good day. Met up with Pete (Newt), Rob (Woodbloke), Waka, Paul (paulm), Les (Routermonster), Tom (wizer) & Mr & Mrs Frugal.

Martin and Clive seemed to be doing good business on the BriMarc stand. Philly had some lovely examples of his planes - they seem to be getting better and better. Had a good chat with Mike Hudson and treated myself to one of these

Clifton410.jpg

I'll have a complete set soon :oops: :lol:

Also bought a Triton Superjaws bench with jaws for gripping logs at a good price.

All in all an excellent show and fabulous weather.

Paul
...at least Paul didn't get another honing guide :p - Rob

Hi All

Just got back from our weekend in Sunny Somerset.

SWMBO and I managed to get to Yandles at 11.00 am on Saturday, but we got chatting to another couple about the relative merits of campervans versus motorhomes, so was delayed getting to the stands. I didn't realise that it was such a big event - crowds and queues everywhere.

I looked around for UKW badges, but only managed to bump into Martin (HC), Waka, and Paul Chapman. As usual, Paul dipped into his pocket and pulled out a new toy!

Said Hi to Mike Hancock, and chatted to Mike Hudson, Philly and David Barron. Too many lovely planes to choose from! Philly had a lovely coffin smoother in Pau Rosa on display, and also I tried out David's high angle Krenov-style smoother. Both fantastic! But in the end I went for a Clifton 5 1/2 to add to my collection - it's on order as Mike had run out. I think I'll have to wait for my birthday for my next plane ...

I also picked up a couple of KliKlamps from the fabulous Bessey stand (don't know the demonstrator's name but he was very helpful). I spoke to Terry Smart on the Chestnut stand, and he gave me some very useful advice, and I came away with a can of Hard Wax Oil for my forthcoming kitchen table.

I was also lurking around the Record Power stand as I was interested to see the quality of the TS200 saw bench (hmm...). I compared it with with the Scheppach TS2010 (more expensive but looked better engineered). Now I wish I'd looked at the Charnwood stand.

Chatted to the guys on the TWAM stand. It's encouraging to learn that so many old tools are being restored and given a new lease of life. It was also nice talking to a couple of complete strangers (from the Round Side) over a cup of tea.

There was a bewildering amount of stuff to view, not to mention all the timber, and I didn't see it all. SWMBO gave up after lunch and went back to the van to rest & read.

All in all, a great day, which was the highlight of our camping weekend. I just wish I had planned my time better. If I can persuade SWMBO, I'd like to visit again next September.

Routermonster":rzqxy4e6 said:
and Paul Chapman. As usual, Paul dipped into his pocket and pulled out a new toy!

Ah, that would have been the Clifton 410 shoulder plane :D Waited until the wife wasn't looking yesterday evening 8-[ and tried it out. Magic - a real precision tool 8)

You must get one, Les......... :lol:

Paul

Back