Would you believe I have got another lemon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aldel, yes but I also have a 10mm space on the rip side of the fence, which means when using the sliding table any small bits that fall in would make mincemeat of anyone around.

And the rip fence ruler runs off the scale because the blade is too far over to the left.

DW

It seems to me that you have very small issues with your saw, but you are blowing them up somewhat.

At the end of the day, making a new insert is siomple and quick, and the gap on the standard insert is essential if you wsih to tilt the blade.

DW,

My saw is the Fox version but is very similar. There is a big gap at the right of the blade, if there wasn't, the blade would not tilt.

I just put up with it and don't worry too much about it but the preferred solution is to make a zero clearance insert. In all honesty, you could have made one in the time you have spent on here worrying about it.

It's like someone earlier said, if you want perfection, spend a few grand on a top notch industrial saw. At this end of the market I think it's reasonable to expect a bit of fettling to get it just as you want.

Cheers
Mike

The gap on the rip fence side is 10mm, so when ripping, what timber would you need to have left remaining against the fence to avoid the timber falling down or tilting into a 10 mm gap!!!!!

Makes me think, when I have regularly been used to working with 6mm thickness (for box partition work) In theory there would have to be 21mm left to balance .

I want a perfect saw.

devonwoody":t1hi06oi said:
I want a perfect saw.

Therein lies your problem - there is no such a thing as a perfect ANYTHING! - especially at the bargain end of the market.

If you really are so bothered about the plate, just make another one, you could do it in half an hour and be using the thing. Even Norm has made one and he has a much better saw so it must be a pretty common thing to do.

Mike

Looks like I have come to the decision to return the saw. A further two problems arose yesterday.

2007_0914axminster5000210w.jpg

When the consignment arrived this box had a torn corner so I checked its contents were all inside as per Axminsters contents list and it was satisfactory.

However when I went to fit the front rip fence rail yesterday I found the item not upto standard. So I assume someone else could have my fence rail and I got theres?

In addition when I went to telephone Axminster re the problem the office informed me that an engineer was on his way to me and would be with me shortly. I didn't refuse the visit but cancelled other arrangements made for the day, and after 3 hours I phoned and asked what time to expect the gentleman, and was then told he wasnt coming and it would be next Wednesday.

This type of customer service leaves me no option.

DW

I have to say i am truly shocked by this saga

You have paid a very low price for a very impressive piece of kit and complained about tiny issues that are easily resolved and then you decide to send it back????

Your perfect saw probably doesn't exist - and if it did it would cost 10 times what you have paid.

Are the
I have had a Record, gone back.
I have had a Schappach, gone back.
and now the Axminster really 'lemons' ?

Not wanting to kick this whole saga off again,

DW`s "problems" seem apparent with each and every Axminster saw here...
"I want a perfect saw" scenario seems a little pretentious to me, given the purchase price......
most , if not all the "faults" with DW`s saw are in fact common with every saw mentioned in this thread....so are they actually problems?

And being perfectly Honest if I was cutting something as small as 10mm I wouldnt be using a TS , or if I was the piece would be on a "sled" of some description..

so leaves the final decision, DW keep the Axminster and it will prove itself, or send it back and be prepared to spend a five figure number on your "perfect saw" and boy, that would have to be "perfect"......

My opinion is slightly different to most, i think you should have a saw that is fit for purpose . The blade position is out of spec ,you are not happy with the quality of the fence, both are a easy fix and i think you should make axminster correct the problems. This costs them and eventually quality will improve for all of us because you insist its fixed .I know its inconvenient and time consuming but getting the saw collected and a new one sourced could be much worse so put up with it and you will have a good machine at the end .Might be a good idea to cut your plate ready for when the saws fixed so you can then finalise the slot and go straight into production.

Thanks Old, for your considered response.
My problem is that I already have an acceptable saw system and anything new must be at least to that standard.
I had the upset yesterday morning when I wanted to report a fence rail problem with Axminster and told an engineer was on his way down so I left the problem until his arrival.
Then is became a no show, and this morning I was told he was on holiday today.

I dont take switcheroos nor am I happy after cancelling my own arrangements for the day to get a no show.

The others who have this saw I think have a good system for the price but I do not accept poor service at those prices I paid.

So what will you replace it with and how ever much is that going to cost?

The 'perfect' saw doesn't exist and as for people suggesting sagas like this improve standards for everyone - no way do they, they just mean higher prices for everyone. One way or another the cost of the returns have to be paid for and that just means higher prices.

As others have said, expecting perfection at this price level is just crazy. If it had a major fault - i.e. it doesn't work then it should be fixed but as for the table insert being out of tolerance - who's tolerance? Plus if it was much closer to the blade, the blade wouldn't tilt and then there really would be a reason for sending it back!

It's the old wanting a Rolls Royce but only being prepared to pay for Mini.

Anyway, rant over, I hope you find want you want DW, I'm just glad I'm not a tool supplier!

Mike

DW I havn't commented on your saw yet because I'm in the dark regarding tablesaws, but just wanted to say that I agree to some extent what others are saying, and that it would be a lot of hassle for you to send the saw back - this is your third I believe and source another. You are running out of options at the price range, other than felder, hammer or Xcaliber or possibly a Jet - all of which are more expensive, are there any other options left open to you?

I had a similar experience with the lyndhurst planer/thicknesser, and like you wanted it to be perfect; afterall for me it was a lot of money and i'm sure thats the same with you, the service we have both received in these situations isn't ideal. BUT the forum members convinced me to keep the machine and fettle out the problems, it took me a while to come round to this thinking as I was quite dispondant, but I can say some months on, now that I have overcome the small issues, i'm pleased I have the machine and I love using it, just like I think you will with the Axminster saw - it's only a couple of issues that need sorting.

Make your complaints to Axminster (their service in my experience is superb usually) get any parts you need and follow the advice with regards to the clearence plate and i'm sure you'll be more than happy.

Don't give up yet DW you'll only have to go through this all again with a different problem on a different saw, life's too short to worry about small things!

DW
Byron has it exactly.
You need a zero clearance plate. We all do, really. So just make one.
I know "no shows" are annoying but you have a machine that works. With Axminster's help you can get it very close to "perfect".
Most of us are DIYers or amateurs of some sort and the equipment we use, while needing to be of a certain standard does not need to be of industrial quality.
Keep the saw, fettle it and reap the rewards. The money you will probably save can buy loads of timber for the boxes you make.
Just my thoughts, anyway.

I suppose that was a long-winded way of saying "DW - lighten up"!
Best wishes.

SF

DW, IMHO Axminster are well out of order for telling you that a engineer was on his way to you, when he clearly wasn't, and you should complain about it.

On the other hand I think if Axminster replace the fence, and if you think theres something wrong with the insert, that two, then you should keep the saw. I have the SIP model and I can tell you that once you set it up you will have a cracking little saw. IMHO for the money you cannot buy better.

I know exactly how you feel, and it does not seem right when your fellow members tell you to do something you do not want to do (at the moment), but go along with us and you will not regret it.

Good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Cheers

Mike

Just out of curiosity DW, if you are perfectly happy with your triton setup, why are you looking for another saw?

Matt. I have had the triton 5 years and honestly just wanted a change. I consider at my age if I didn't make a change now it would be too late, I reckon I must consider myself lucky if I can work around machinery another 5 years.

And to add a twist to the saga above, if I had been a novice and stranger to woodwork machinery and woodwork forums what would have happened if I had put a 18mm width of timber for ripping in half. 7.5mm offcut 3mm kerf the other 7.5mm would quite probably have dropped down the gullet and most possibly come out again.
And members say cheap at the price.

DW,

And to add a twist to the saga above, if I had been a novice and stranger to woodwork machinery and woodwork forums what would have happened if I had put a 18mm width of timber for ripping in half. 7.5mm offcut 3mm kerf the other 7.5mm would quite probably have dropped down the gullet and most possibly come out again.
And members say cheap at the price.

DW if you care to look back at page 3 you will find that I posted this which you totally ignored.

Me

DW, as Neil says the gap needs to be a certain size to allow the blade to tilt fully. I think the only problem you have is that the slot in the insert has been cut in the wrong place. And by moving the slot over slightly it would give the two or three mm gap you need between the edge of the slot and the blade, while keeping enough room on the other side to tilt the blade. It would also reduce the size of the gap so that small bits of timber will not fall into it.
Phone Axminster and ask them to send you another insert or make sure the engineer brings one with him.

What do you think?

Cheers

Mike

This would have crued your 7.5mm problem so why make comments like the above. All everyone is doing is trying to help.

Cheers

Mike

Mike I did see your original comment and immediately went out and studied the idea. But for my own reasons rejected the suggestion. A slice would come off the plate on the left and a gap would have appeared on the table surface on the right, and to correct that did not satisfy me. plus countersink holes would be unsightly etc.

But thanks for your suggestions which were appreciated.

I will confess to using the word perfect, it is a little OTT in this day and age?

Latest posts

Back