Would you believe I have got another lemon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DW, as Neil says the gap needs to be a certain size to allow the blade to tilt fully. I think the only problem you have is that the slot in the insert has been cut in the wrong place. And by moving the slot over slightly it would give the two or three mm gap you need between the edge of the slot and the blade, while keeping enough room on the other side to tilt the blade. It would also reduce the size of the gap so that small bits of timber will not fall into it.
Phone Axminster and ask them to send you another insert or make sure the engineer brings one with him.

What do you think?

Cheers

Mike

Hi DW, yes you are right in thinking, the riving knife slots in the holder shown in the picture, I would suggest it goes between the plate and the arm with the 4 adjustment screws, ie plate, R knife, arm...leastways thats how I did mine, (perfect alignment too)

still dont think we have Lemons DW, OK your insert isnt exactly machined to perfection, but once its removed you can see how much room you have , and if it comes to the blade catching anywhere I would sooner it be soft ally than cast iron..
Im not saying the saw is perfect, but for what we payed your bound to get some minor niggles and imperfections.

Tommy bar , you would seriously trust that slot holding your tommy bar while you heave away tightening the blade up... :shock: both hand s one on the TB and the other on the spanner..

i could whinge about the ext tables not having the bevel ground exactly too the main table bevel, the amateurish paint finsh on the rear ext table, the magnifier on the fence (some muppet went mad with the red paint on mine) the list could be endlessly, but I got what I think, as do many others on the forum , a reasonable budget priced table saw....

looking more closely at the position of your blade with gullet removed , mine is exactly (care to give me the measurement :lol: ) where yours is , and mine runs perfectly well.

you have to remember these are factory mass produced units, where anything needed to be placed in a particular area is probably "templated " in and such minor deviations are bound to occur...

anyway lets know the outcome of your decision ( keeping, going back, what axminster`s emgineer did/said etc..)

hope you get it sorted anyway DW, its NOT a bad saw...

**NOTE.. watch out when you fit both CI ext tables to the right of the table the collective weight is capable of tipping the table over ( so have the support leg very handy..****

Thanks Neilo,

the measurement to the ci. table on the right hand side (tommy bar side) is 12mm.

What is yours ?

Perhaps other owners would comment on their measurement?

Also thanks for the warning re tipping, I would have thought the sliding table would balance but I suppose if you have some stuff laying on the r/h side things might get airbourne.

I assume you meant the gap from blade to table, it is 12.1mm .... that makes mine bigger than yours..
i just think its your insert not been fabricated to well..
did you get the note about the CI tables on previous post?

cant tell you if the ST assembly would balance it out not fitted mine (not enough room) the tipping is only possible while your fitting the tables DW, once the support leg is in place you can stand on the table, I know,had to reach my box of odd nuts and bolts somehow..

Sounds if I am getting good vibrations.

Not too serious if thats the case but that tommy bar hole on the spindle/ci table still makes me think things need checking out. The problem now is you cant see under the table without tipping it over and thats not an easy proposition for a couple of 70 year olds.

Thanks neilo, I assume your message refers to the table tipping which will be sorted out. Sounds if you had a airy sensation when on that table :)

no DW, the table is rock solid once that (dare I say flimsy looking) support leg is fastened on, your ( and mine ) problem will be whilst fitting the CI ext tables ( 1st one not so much a problem ) but the 2nd one now having the collective weight of 2 CI tables ( and they are heavy) could just tip the table of balance to the right ,,,

*JUST HAVE THAT SUPPORT LEG TO HAND WHEN FITTING THE SECOND TABLE, YOU DONT WANT TO BE MOVING TO FAR TO FETCH IT.. :D

devonwoody":20huwbtn said:
going to make myself an insert in the meantime but its 3mm thickness I require.

Any suggestions please?

I made a zero clearance insert from 3mm aluminium for my Axi saw and simply raised the blade slowly through it - cover it with a box though or you'll have aluminium all over the place!!

I then used a jigsaw to lengthen the slot to allow the riving knife to fit

The TCT blade will cut 3mm ali like butter without any harm to the blade (in fact, my current Trend blade lists aluminium and wood as the mediums it is designed to cut)

Help. I've got a piece over :oops:

2007_0912axminster300038w.jpg

Neilo, did you have this piece over? I cannot find it any of the schematic drawings or any instructions to it. It has nothing to do with that supporting leg you have mentioned? My support leg is telescopic and complete.

edit. It gives me the impression of an engine mounting strap that fitted if the machine is going on transport???????

Thanks Tony I'll tell the engineer to bring some 3mm ali with him!!! :wink:

Thanks Martin for the backup, I can still play meccano it seems.

to Nealo & Martin, I have had to extend the mains cable (released the cable gland at side and pushed cable in further) because the tilt mechanism at 45% chaffes the electric cable inside the cabinet.

OK I have fired the motor and that is sweet (not done any cutting until new insert is fitted) and my sliding table is just hanging at the moment and not aligned.

To Tony, these are the leg bolt holes I was referring to , I have set them at the bottom (floor level), perhaps they are used for a mobile platform?

2007_0912axminster40011w10.jpg

Pics of my saw.

Different winding stops to the ones mentioned in manual, a lever now holds blade setting and I assume the knob holds the tilt (but not very well)

2007_0912axminster4000811w.jpg

2007_0912axminster400059w.jpg

Thanks everyone for your support, I will let you know the outcome of the blade/insert setting when finalised.

DW, your saw except for one or two parts is much the same as the SIP, and on my 12" model the two threaded holes at the bottom are for a wheel kit.

You are right about the lever. Do the knobs on your raise/lower and tilt wheels fold in out of the way when not in use?

Cheers

Mike

Thanks Mike, No mention in our manual about those leg holes which orientation and tech. support were hopeless on support which way up they went. So took a chance and put them to floor in hope.

My knobs do not fold away, the saw height lever is quite effective but the tilt is wishy washy at the moment but will investigate when more experienced with this model.

DW, Glad to hear you finally succumbed to realising you just might have a decent saw table....I didnt get that piece (possibly is transport hold down)else dont you think I should of if its part of the saw?

Mike.C said do your knobs (handles) on your handwheels fold down ( into wheel aperture) when not in use? mine do, a simple pull forward and fold..

lower legs, searched in vain thru the destruction manual as to the orientation of legs, I eventually did like you DW and put the threaded nuts at the bottom, thinking along the same vein "mobile wheel kit"

Just wish I could get my piccies from flickr to here, or you all going to think my TS is a figment of my imagination :lol: :lol:

Neil thanks for explaining it better then me :oops:

As I said the holes on my saw were for the wheel kit that came with it. If you want a kit and Axminster do not sell them, you could get a set from a SIP agent, there about £40 and well worth the money. If you give me a measurement I can check to see if they will fit your saw.

Cheers

Mike

yes the handle knobs must fold up because they were flat in the packet. But not having used the say something I have not yet come across.

I do like the cast iron trunnions, great improvement for me on those other models even tho they are attached to the table top and not very accessible.

Mike.C":2kt6iosh said:
Neil thanks for explaining it better then me :oops:

As I said the holes on my saw were for the wheel kit that came with it. If you want a kit and Axminster do not sell them, you could get a set from a SIP agent, there about £40 and well worth the money. If you give me a measurement I can check to see if they will fit your saw.

Cheers

Mike

definately interested as well Mike, I have two holes each leg as pic.but tow legs the holes are as pic horizontly but the holes at the other end are verticle.
Measure up tomorrow if neilo does not reply with details.

Neilo give me a pm and your phone number and I will get you pics flowing to the forum. :)

much appreciated Mike, but if I go in there and look at my "baby" again tonight, SWMBO will lynch me :lol:
I will check the dimensions tomorrow and let you know if DW dont beat me to it..

Back