Would you believe I have got another lemon

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chisel, if you study the picture above of my magnifier you will see a thick red line that covers two mil. lines, I think there is supposed to be a gap inside the red line?
In addition if I move the holding bracket of the fence any further over to the right, I feel there is not a good support position for holding the fence. It would be very lopsided. At a later date I might consider cutting some of the ali of the fence support rail so that the zero mark starts at the blade.
But in the meantime I am using that chesterton ruler and using the edge of the ali frame as a reading line.
At the present time I am getting an under cut of half a mil. but it is early days and a technique will have to be developed to cope with chinky engineering. :wink:

DW

I fitted a readng 'bar magnifier' to mine - from tesco for £3.00 and it has a very fine line. Also magnifys more

BIG improvement

I have owned 4 tablesaws now, and on each the magnifier was joke, but the Tesco bar magnifier (same one as they are 3" long and need cutting down) has worked on them all.

New_Scale.jpg

Thanks tony, I have put it on the list.

How did you clean the gunge off the table top? I dont want it to go rusty though!

I 've got an 80 tooth blade (from earlier times) Should I purchase a 27tooth or go for a good quality combination?

DW

I used cellulose thinners to clean it and then applied a thin coat of cameila oil - I go over it with another very thin coat of oil every couple of months

I tired wax after clening the gunk off, and the saw was rusty the next morning!!!

I use a 10" Freud 80 tooth blade that I've had for several years for ripping and crosscutting without problems - I got a combination blade for free when I bought my saw and could use this for ripping, t don't feel the meed unless I am sawing 'beast' wood such as 3" thick Bubinga

DW, cleaned my table with what I had on hand , white spirit to clean off the gunk, and then acouple of liberal coats of briwax...polish to a high sheen... :D

I called on my neighbour the other day and he was cleaning up his motorcycle ready for his hols. he was using a toothbrush,honest, I said hold on mate I will go and get my feather duster.
So I think I will clean the gunk off perhaps for 6" each side of the blade and polish. Then leave the gunge on the extension ends until the day they are needed?

DW, just clean all the gunk off with white spirit, messy and dirty, but worth it just for the usable space...and Briwax the tables a couple of coats and buff to a high sheen.
Did this only my CI bandsaw table , and other than an occasional (a couple of times a year ) wipeover , it seems to work great, no rust what so ever, and the wood just glides across the tables... :D

DW Pleased to see you are keeping the saw.

Do not use anything containing silicones on the table.
If you do you will get unexpected! results with the finish on your work.

Aldel

aldel":pdpnkpoj said:
DW Pleased to see you are keeping the saw.

Do not use anything containing silicones on the table.
If you do you will get unexpected! results with the finish on your work.

Aldel

Thanks for the reminder I have even heard that neighbouring premises that used the stuff on car spray repairs have caused trouble and they can be yards away.

I used a 25mm car spanner to undo the blade nut today but feel that is a little slack on the nut.
What is the correct spanner size and type to use?
And might even get a spare nut has the original is very soft if size is known and available. I hope it is not some obscure Pekin standard.

I have the SIP saw but they look the same in many ways, the spanner is 24mm . thats actual size across the flats i got a silverline combination spanner of ebay but the nut does not need to be very tight .
Glad to see you have fettled the saw to your requirements it looks at home in the shop.

DW wrote "And might even get a spare nut has the original is very soft if size is known and available. I hope it is not some obscure Pekin standard"

Its a no.25 with a side order of prawn crackers :lol: :lol:

Back