Worth keeping elder wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sploo

Somewhat extinguished member
Reaction score
I'm planning on taking down a reasonably large elder tree (Sambucus nigra) tomorrow. It looks as though there's a few reasonably straight sections that would yield logs large enough for small projects.

A bit of Google searching hasn't thrown up any information about use and usefulness. Is it worth keeping and trying to season?

According to Gabriel Hemery in The New Silva, the wood was used for fencing, the cogs of mills and butchers skewers. The timber from large trees (100mm or more) is hard and smooth with a fine close grain. It was used by watchmakers for tiny parts (?) and in children's toys. Seems like it could be quite useful.

Many years ago when I sold firewood some elder was in the load. the load was rejected----the customer said,---"if you burn that the devil comes down the chimney" . He was deadly serious and never had any more wood from me.
I have just cut a large Forsythia bush down my the garden the wood looks very hard. so am keeping a few bits, I did the ends in a paint pot to stop them drying out too quick, it looks very similar to elder
I am just about to put my Woodster Router in the for sale section, ideal for model makers

blackrodd":2u6ds907 said:
Google "Wood from the elder" for several hits, --as below.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wood+ ... goI-oV8%3D

Used for flutes among other things and I believe some of the turners like like it
Rodders
Unfortunately, most of the image links are for box elder, which I believe is a different species. This is an elderflower tree.

The best I could find last night echoed your comment about flutes - apparently the pith is very soft, so it's easy to remove for making hollow pieces.

If I'm really lucky I might get a few usable bits so I'll see what results and maybe post back here to see if anyone wants it. The tree is "on the way out" so I don't know the quality of the wood in the main trunks (it's effectively three small trees forming one).

When I was boy working on the farm, the hedge layer Harry used to swear by Elderberry bush wood to use as handles for hammers etc. hope this helps.
Cansdale

Elder has a strong association with church yards and does have many superstitions associated with it. A farmer in the village gave me a stump 3 years ago which I turned into a couple of bowls and the wood was delightful. A really creamy white, not unlike Holly but with some lovely dark, nearly black streaks which may have been a slight spalting. It didn't smell very pleasant on the lathe....bit on the urine side but it did give a lovely finish.

It actually reminded me a bit of ivory when it was finished, it had that toothy quality to the colour

sploo":2zeax1on said:
blackrodd":2zeax1on said:
Google "Wood from the elder" for several hits, --as below.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wood+ ... goI-oV8%3D

Used for flutes among other things and I believe some of the turners like like it
Rodders
Unfortunately, most of the image links are for box elder, which I believe is a different species. This is an elderflower tree.

The best I could find last night echoed your comment about flutes - apparently the pith is very soft, so it's easy to remove for making hollow pieces.

If I'm really lucky I might get a few usable bits so I'll see what results and maybe post back here to see if anyone wants it. The tree is "on the way out" so I don't know the quality of the wood in the main trunks (it's effectively three small trees forming one).

Sorry about that! As you say, mostly boxwood Elder on the offending link.
I have found the following link, the "what is it good for" is almost at the end, I read it as it appears to be a really interesting tree and steeped in folk lore and superstition, Also makes really nice wine, (As my gran did)!
And Elder flower Champagne, I believe, And don't burn it!
Regards Rodders
http://www.sacredearth.com/ethnobotany/ ... /elder.php

Yes, encountered lots of superstitions about the common Elder. It's actually a b*stard if it's growing in a hedge that needs laying to make it stockproof as it tends to shade out the better thorny woods and doesn't pleach well. Did once turn a plate from a pretty ropy piece; looked quite "artistic" but needed a lot of filling of soft bits.
As a kid, we used to make peashooters out of the small branches by coring out the pith or more sophisticated "guns" with the aid of old steel corset springs.
(Heck, that makes me feel old!)

OK, so getting the tree down was hard work, and I don't think there's anything large enough to be worth me keeping and planking, but it might be useful to turners. Very roughly, I've got the following (length/diameter, in cm):

220/12
160/12
160/10
90/9
60/9
110/7

Most are reasonably straight (though one has a more pronounced curve). The 220cm length is... err.. still in the ground, as I ran out of time to cut it down, but it wouldn't take long.

I'm in South Oxfordshire (Didcot) so if anyone wants them you'd be welcome - just let me know

By coincidence, yesterday I spoke to an artist who has a studio below our office and she was given elder for whittling when at Art In Action.

So my deduction is that is could be used for carving etc.

Cheers

Andy

phil.p":1o2easa4 said:
Yes. Hard and smooth with a fine close grain and useful for mill cogs would lead you to that conclusion.
Sploo - Hemery classes over 100mm as large - so you have some reasonable pieces.
For my sins - I've no idea who "Hemery" is. David is "a British former track and field athlete, winner of the 400 metres hurdles at the 1968 Summer Olympics", but I guess that's not right :wink:

I suppose I could remove the bark and slice it into ~3cm lengths and let it dry. I could then flatten and machine smallish gears from them on the CNC machine. But... I don't really have a use for any gears, so an interested turner would still be welcome to have them. There's also a 1/2 full TP bag of offcuts suitable for burning if anyone wanted firewood; a neighbour's already had one wheelbarrow load and I'll offer him the rest if no one else wants it.

Back