workshop set up!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David111s

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Well after deciding to set up on my own!! i'm now sorting out business plans banks and a sole destroying search for a workshop!

I thourght i seek some opinions on some machines!

So far i am being lent

. Dewalt ras

. a lathe (cant remember what make)

. a selection of bandsaws and bits

I have decided to order the following once i've found a workshop.

. Hammer C3 31 with some options!

. bandsaw wise i'm currently thinking about the Hammer N4400

Im also looking for a floor standing mortiser it needs to be able to handle 1" chisels in hardwood

anyone got any ideas i dont want to spend a huge amount on it so secound hand?

also has anyone had much experiance with phase converters?

cheers David

Are you intending to stick with the radial arm saw idea? I only ask because they can be quite inaccurate and you may find a large sliding compound mitre saw to be a much better option instead. :)

hi thanks for the replies!

Ill be making bespoke furniture and joinery

as for the ras well its not going to cost me anything and for quick inaccurate work itll be quite usefull.

ive always used ras and i prefer them to the sliding miter saws.

there was an old wadkin ras at my last job and it was pretty good very accurate!

cheers David

That is a lot of equipment need for just starting out from scratch

Do you have no tools at all, so i take it you're just plunging in from nothing to hero

I would have expected that you had already some equipment

hi

i've got all my hand tools and power tools its just the big stuff i haven't got yet!

for the last few years i've been working as a joiner locally and doing a bit of private work using works machines.

i did think about getting a large shed and buying some smaller machines but it was easyer and cheaper to do it at work

cheers David

Hi David,
If your looking at 1" morticing in hardwood then my choice would be the Sedgwick 571 morticer. although I use 3/4" chisel & enlarge the mortice with the bilateral moving table with hardwoods.

As to the Hammer bandsaw & C31 I'd give them a miss imho and look elsewhere, Felder have a very poor reputation for customer service.
And as your potentially woodworking for a living you can't really afford the down time.

Hope this helps

David111s":njdtw33n said:
Hi all

Well after deciding to set up on my own!! i'm now sorting out business plans banks and a sole destroying search for a workshop!

I thourght i seek some opinions on some machines!

So far i am being lent

. Dewalt ras

. a lathe (cant remember what make)

. a selection of bandsaws and bits

I have decided to order the following once i've found a workshop.

. Hammer C3 31 with some options!

. bandsaw wise i'm currently thinking about the Hammer N4400

Im also looking for a floor standing mortiser it needs to be able to handle 1" chisels in hardwood

anyone got any ideas i dont want to spend a huge amount on it so secound hand?

also has anyone had much experiance with phase converters?

cheers David

Latest posts

Back