Workshop heaters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Total cost was around £500 including a secondhand stove, all the flue bits, and some fireboard to make an enclosed area for the stove away from anything flammable. I reckon it's saved us that much in electricity already!

Sounds interesting! Any chance of some pictures of the "enclosure" Brad?

Jim

BradNaylor":17l84hbx said:
Total cost was around £500 including a secondhand stove, all the flue bits, and some fireboard to make an enclosed area for the stove away from anything flammable. I reckon it's saved us that much in electricity already!

The workshop's a lot tidier, too. Not an offcut to be seen anywhere!

Cheers
Brad

I am very lucky in that a friend bought me a woodburner for my workshop, he also got a 1m length of single wall flue.

But I am not sure exactly what I need to go through the roof?

I guess I am going to need some twin wall flue, some means of joining to the single wall flue, then some form of seal to go around the outside.

Hand tools, that's what you need to warm the shed. I went out there last night -1C with my wooly hat and coat on. After half an hour of sawing and planing 3" Ash by hand I had to stop to take some layers off ;)

Addmittedly sharpening the plane was a bit problematic as the Camelia Oil has gone solid again and the water for the Tormek is a frozen lump... :oops:

kasandrich":2n08pak7 said:
BradNaylor":2n08pak7 said:

Cheers
Brad

I am very lucky in that a friend bought me a woodburner for my workshop, he also got a 1m length of single wall flue.

I guess I am going to need some twin wall flue, some means of joining to the single wall flue, then some form of seal to go around the outside.

You might find this site of some interest. Worth looking at the regs section.

http://www.poujoulat.co.uk/

Some ideas also about flue passing through roofs etc.

kasandrich":1c765i9g said:
BradNaylor":1c765i9g said:

Cheers
Brad

I bought a second-hand Hotspot stove, but phoned Hotspot for advice on fitting it. The guy I spoke to was very helpful, and on his recommendation I bought 3m of standard flue pipe togther with 1m of pipe with a bigger diameter.

You simply slip the bigger pipe over the smaller one where it goes through the roof, and pack it out with Rockwool to insulate it.

Works a treat.

http://www.thehotspot.co.uk/

I also bought a flashing kit and directional cowl thingy.

Brad

what do you do with hot spots etc when you leave the shop? My working tends to be a little intermittent and I'm not always sure when I will be shutting up for the night (children etc) - I would be a little nervous about leaving a live fire in play in the garage - or does the stove nature mean that this is no sort of risk?

Where do people put their stove - next to the door (like a radiator should be under the cold spot of the window); next to where they work or as far away from the normal working space as possible? Bearing in mind that I work in a 2.5 car garage...

Many thanks

Miles

Back