Workshop heaters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kev

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone use oil/paraffin heaters in their workshops? If so are they (for want of a better term) fumey? Was just wondering about how much ventilation they need and how safe they really are in what is a dust filled environment most of the time.

I guess the same applies to electric heaters which also considering. I am a bit concerned about the cost of running electric heaters though. Workshop is about 5 x 9m with a double pitched roof which I am currently insulating.

Cheers

I use a 2000 watt electric fan heater in a workshop about the same size as yours at moment snow outside in the workshop warm as toast

It must be the snow that is creating so many "heat my workshop" threads! :D :D

As in other threads - parafin and calor gas produce moisture as a by-product so could affect your tools with rust problems.

Oil filled electric radiators seem the best suggestion so far.

I bought a quick heat solution at a bootfair this autumn...it was an electric fan heater that looks like the front of a Spitfire...dirty great fan with two radial heating elements in behind it....BOY...does that work quickly!

I am going to get an oil filled radiator for frost and condensation protection and use the Spitfire when I want to work out there.

Jim

My workshop has a small radiator plumbed into the house. But at the moment it's not enough so I'm using a oil filled next to where I am working. Even that's not enough because of the roller door is like having no door at all.

wizer":1pc3vzr3 said:
My workshop has a small radiator plumbed into the house. But at the moment it's not enough so I'm using a oil filled next to where I am working. Even that's not enough because of the roller door is like having no door at all.

It's funny you should mention that Tom as I was thinking about that solution and then chickened out as every single time I just LOOK at a plumbing joint it explodes.

I don't know what it is, I am clearly not destined to be a plumber!

Jim

wizer":1olw47a0 said:
...the roller door is like having no door at all.

Tom, could you fit a large, thick curtain (or two) over the inside of the door? I don't know if you can buy draught-proofing seals for rollers doors but, the curtain idea was one of Mike Garnham's suggestions when I asked him about up-and-over doors recently.

I have two of those infra-red type heaters that heat 'things' not air (I might have got the name wrong). They are great so long as you are in front of them but otherwise ueless. I am going to get a fan type heater to take the chill off the air.

Brendan

Kev":2pqasom4 said:
Does anyone use oil/paraffin heaters in their workshops? If so are they (for want of a better term) fumey? Was just wondering about how much ventilation they need and how safe they really are in what is a dust filled environment most of the time.

I guess the same applies to electric heaters which also considering. I am a bit concerned about the cost of running electric heaters though. Workshop is about 5 x 9m with a double pitched roof which I am currently insulating.

Cheers

Bad for producing moisture in the atmosphere, smelly and dangerous, I use radiant heaters, but the most important thing is insulation.

Nothing is cheap and good as far as heating is concerned, unless you have a stove that can burn all your off-cuts. (Not mistakes, practice peaces :lol: ).

Last year I froze, but I came by and old storage heater that I have on for a few hours before I get in and then goes off at lunch time and remains very toasty until late in the day. Best thing to keep the worst off and you can pick em up for not a lot.

BMac":3mff8292 said:
I have two of those infra-red type heaters that heat 'things' not air (I might have got the name wrong). They are great so long as you are in front of them but otherwise ueless. I am going to get a fan type heater to take the chill off the air.

Brendan

I made that mistake...halogen tube one! B&Q special offer £19.95 last year. Bleedin' USELESS!

This is my "Spitfire":

Prem%20I%20Air%20PBHF1%20Fan%20HeaterL.jpg

Fiver at a bootfair...in a box...totally unused. It has an ioniser (so what) and a cooling setting too for summer! £53 retail I see.

Jim

oh one of those might be a good idea for a quick blast of heat. specially as I only get out there for an hour or so at the moment

I have a 750 watt oil filled electric heater in my wooden 16'x10' shed, keeps it warm enough for quick jobs and to keep away the worst cold even at the moment and a 2kw fan for a quick blast of heat if I am out for longer

Mine is piped from the household system so that i have two radiators in an 8.5 X 4.5m space, and on a timeclock. Works well, gets easily warm enough to work but not 'house' warm. Gets a bit of help from the fact that the boiler is in the corner, and has a stainless internal flue.

It seems to be fairly economical as it doesn't obviously disappear the oil when it's in use.

The idea of an enclosed cast iron stove is attractive, but a bit worrying with all that wood dust and stuff around. Seems to be quite widely done though, i wonder if there are some tricks to it? Wonder too if it wouldn't nullify your insurance?

ian

I use a cheapo bathroom fan heater. This is on a board with a French cleat so it can be moved for best effect :). Usually it is next to the door to cover that being opened. I find 10 mins gets the things up to a workable temperature - but it's only a small workshop. As it's well insulated, after that heat from the Camvac and other tools (and me) keeps it steady. I've intentionally not got cavity insulation between the workshop (end of garage) and the rest of the house. So I get enough heat leak from the house to keep things frost free.

Boz

Kev
I would not use a parafin heater in my workshop because of the moisture content of the exhaust from these type of heaters. You would have serious condensation, rust and wood warping potential!
You need dry heat. I have a wood burner and an oil filled radiator.

I had a day in the 'shop yesterday and stuck the heating on at around 8.00am and by about 9 it was doable for working and by 10.30ish was toasty (50deg) which for me is pleasant to work in.
I use a 1.5Kw oil filled rad with a 1Kw 'leccy convector heater for a bit of localised bench warmth...'shop is well insulated though so it doesn't take too long to get from a bit parky to moderately toasty - Rob

I've got a 2Kw oil fired radiator, set on 2 it heats up the workshop to about 40f. I also use a electric bathroom heater just to give it a boost in the morning. Insulation is the key Kev, I'm happy with mine but I did make the mistake of not insulating the roof joists. This picture was taken at 9am

Winter2009007.jpg

Phil

BMac":3gsjrik5 said:

Brendan

Yep - I got one of those on Sat. Sits on the corner of the large "bench" and I just turn it round if I move around the bench. And I don't have any windows, door nor any insulation or even roof tiles!

Back