Workshop gloves......

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
...looking for some close fitting workshop gloves that might be reasonably sensitive

so you can feel a small nut when trying to acrew onto a m/c screw!

Gerry

I'm also not enamoured with gloves but need to wear them sometimes - e.g. mixing epoxy, using cyano, etc. Aldi sell "gardening gloves" and ours often have them in stock. Available in a good range of sizes, they have quite tough "knitted mesh" cloth backs (nylon I think) and the fingers and palm are quite thin "flexible rubber/plastic". Those parts are available with a choice of either "bobbles" moulded in, or smooth. I fine then just "OK".

I also use nitrile (also quite thin) for painting, from my local DIY place. Also "OK".

But overall, I'm not a gloves fan - only when I must.

I get a little tired of the endless fine metal spinters you pick up when machining. Especially on the inside of finger joints where they are hard to dig out.
I'm gradually being converted to wearing disposable nitrile gloves because of this. I prefer heavier ones like Black Mamba or thicker The better ones will survive a full day, even two, and being taken on and off a few times. They give enough feel for assembling nuts and bolts and are great when you have to degrease / clean / wire brush old fasteners

I usually get gloves off the local market. There is one stall that has exclusively garden and workshop stuff plus another that has PPE and similar items inc 'surgical' gloves so I'm spoilt for choice!

Phil

Sorry failed to spot the issue and assumed it was cold hands related! I also use nitrile gloves in the workshop for dirty tasks. I buy a box of heavy duty ones from amazon, the brands seem to change each 6 months I buy them so can't recommend a brand sorry.

Disposable nitrile or latex gloves are my go to for keeping my hands clean and dexterity.
I use the same. Whatever is cheapest at the time. If using rough cut timber or just to help keep the cold out I use the nitrile coated, tight fitting gloves. You can pick up the larger screws but nothing 'fiddly'. I occasionally wear them over my latex gloves between painting or putting a finish on and getting on with other things with the thicker ones over the top.

Gary

Gerry, you've not said why you want gloves. If it's to keep your hands clean then, as others have said, latex or nitrile....some are allergic to one or other of them. Also I find that the lack of thickness has got a lot worse since Covid.

BUT if it's to keep your hands warm then I swear by these

kuny pro framer gloves.png

Might be worth trying on a pair of thin tig welding gloves made from napa leather.
These are both size 10's so try them on first.
The ones on the right were nice and tight fitting before, but have hardened up a bit with tar from the stove, so they nearly look as loose fitting as the other one.

Likely a smidgen over a fiver, and less than a tenner, so won't break the bank.
Must get another pair when I find them.

SAM_5065.JPG

SAM_5066.JPG

Tom

...I prefer heavier ones like Black Mamba or thicker The better ones will survive a full day, even two, and being taken on and off a few times. They give enough feel for assembling nuts and bolts and are great when you have to degrease / clean / wire brush old fasteners

The Black Mamba ones seem to be quite popular on Toolstation's website, despite the price (121 reviews at the moment, available in large and X-large sizes):
Black Mamba Super Tough Disposable Gloves Large (toolstation.com)

I use three types for different work
Sealey nitrile disposable for painting, working on the car etc. but the cost of these has gone through the roof now with the outlet blaming Brexit dah dee dah
These to work on stuff that would damage my hands (glass, sharp metal, stonework) Site 520 Gloves Grey / Black Large | Mechanics Gloves | Screwfix.com and they are excellent.
In winter these which are great but you can't text with them on! Delta Plus Apollon VV735 Latex Thermal Work Gloves Yellow/Black Large | Thermal Gloves | Screwfix.com

Back