Workshop Advice Needed - Tool Wall vs Systainers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Systematic Renovations

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I currently keep all my power tools in systainers and my hand tools in 2 metal cantilever tool boxes. This is for added convenience if I ever need to do any DIY around the house or at somebody elses house I can quickly take the tools required.

The second reason is for added security as I am a bit paranoid and feel like I can lock these in a cabinet in the workshop to slow down any thieves even more as opposed to the tools just being out.

After watching many woodworking youtubers I have started to contemplate the idea of just having the tools out mounted on the wall for ease of access.

So I would love to hear any advice/opinions from anybody on their setup and what they think is best.

Thanks

I have 2 sets of most tools, one set for the workshop and one for on site.

I'm quite minimalist when it comes to hand tools so the workshop ones stay on the wall near my bench youtuber style and the site ones live in a Veto Pro Pac (posh tool bag).

My workshop power tools used to live in Systainers, great for organisation but a bit of a faff to keep getting things in and out of. My workshop power tools now just live under the bench so I can quickly pick one up, use and put it down again. Most power tool accessories live in a drawer behind my bench. I do put the power tools in a tool safe within a lock up area of my workshop every night which is another reason they aren't in Systainers as they would take up too much space.

My Makita sander is converted to fit a Festool plug-it lead and the same size dust hose fits everything so it only takes seconds to swap between tools.

under bench tools.jpg

My site power tools are in Systainers as they keep all the accessories for each tool with that tool, also they are easy to transport in to customers houses and easy to stack in my van.

Drawers are good. You can use second hand kitchen units. (These can be mounted on wheels for extra flexibility)
Often they have quite nice deep drawers and good quality runners designed for a ton of plates or cans of beans.

You can make various inserts for the drawers for whatever items you have, these can be switched about between drawers till you get it how you like it.

I am often on site so must have to be able to take a certain amount of kit with me quickly so I have a bunch of systainers, some with custom inserts. I can't fully commit to workshop only storage for everything.

Ollie

I have two sets of edge tools - workshop and site. The workshop edge tools need to be reachable on demand when at the bench, and a rack keeps the chisels and gouges neatly separate, along with files & rasps, marking gauges & knives, and spokeshaves. I'm not a tool fetishist, I just need to get on with the job.

bench-1.jpg

For sitework I made a portable case, mainly of birch ply. It has two opening sides, one with a rack of chisels and the other with handsaws. In the central body there are a couple of drawers for sundries, and planes and mallets go in the base. It's 750 long, 460 high and 295 wide, and importantly quite easy to lift when fully loaded. And if it's tea break time it can be sat on.

Power tools can go anywhere, eg shelves, as long as you can get to them easily, but for transport tend to have their own cases.

I think it's down to how & where you work with your tools, my split is probably 60% site work 40% workshop.
I have a tool wall that holds all the hand tools that I regularly use at my bench, I then have a couple of drawer units that hold sustainers that have tools in them that I use both in the workshop & on site.
Being able to pick up a systainer with a tool & all its accessories in & not having to start thinking if I've got all the bits I need for that tool is a god send.
Over the years I've realised that organisation is the key so this set up works really well for me but everyone's needs are different.

The smaller tools i use most are usually sitting somewhere within easy reach on a bench/worktop ,stuck on a shelf or hanging on the walls,those that get used only occasionally are in drawers/cupboards or cabinets(some have locks and some don't) in my shop or the storage area alongside it. Same thing with the bigger machines,the bandsaw-table saw and PT get used most so are kept in the shop,the spindle moulder and morticer stay in the storage area until needed ,they are all on wheels so moving them around is not a major pita.The only things that stay in one place permanently are the lathes,this works well for me only because i am lucky enough to have the extra storage space to do it. When my Dad was alive he only had a relativly small area for his workshop about 3/4 the size of single car garage ,but he was very creative when it came to storing his tools and there was barely an inch of wasted space.It worked well for him because he was always meticulous about putting things away after use.
Security is always going to be a consideration no matter the size of your shop , i know that even with good locks and a fitted alarm system with lights and cameras there is always going to be the risk that some lowlife might want to take what i have worked hard for,so all i can do is try to make that as hard as possible for them. I don,t have any systainers but can't help thinking that even though they might be the perfect way of storing your expensive power tools,should one of the lowlifes break in then the tool and most likely many if not all of the expensive accessories that go with it are all packaged up in a neat little(possibly labelled with the contents) box ready to be whisked away.

My tools need to be in boxes for protection against damp.
I also do different types of work in the same small place so don't want wood dust, metal swarf, oils and sparks from affecting different tools and machines.

I use a lot of kitchen airtight plastic boxes, also branded storage including Systainers / Fein / Bosch / Dewalt Toughboxes.
A set of french cleats for wall storage supports a few often used tools and a couple of shelves of solvents and aerosols sprays. The cleats get reorganised every year or so as my interests develop.

A large drawer on roller slides built into one workbench holds engineering tools
A Bisley A4 stationery drawer unit has all types of drill bits and reamers.

Beware of youtubers tool walls that are just designed to boast and look good as a backdrop on camera.

I don't manage this very well but I think the best organisation groups the tools needed for a particular task together so you only need one or two boxes open at a time.

I like all my hand tools close to me when I work, so I made a French cleat wall. Got to say it looks great and very handy, but the dust is very annoying. With that, I’m constructing a tool cabinet at the moment, should be able to close the doors when machining.

Power tools are kept in systainers. Yes it can be faffy taking them out of the boxes, but it’s not like they are going in and out all the time. Also easy to stack together what you need when you go out.

I have a bug out box for basic site tools. There is only a few things that I might need because you always need something else.

I used to store hand tools in Stanley A frame toolbags,
https://ffx.co.uk/product/Get/Stanley-Sta194231-3253561942310-Fatmax-Tool-Organiser-Baggreat away from the workshop, not so good in the workshop.

I have now made some caddies to fit Makita systainers.
C76632C0-34F9-49D4-A2E1-7524575F7707.jpeg

A23A0B75-9E39-4E89-BE9F-EE24594F9181.jpeg

BA45F0B7-74B7-4F66-A649-8A2A9040FA7C.jpeg

E5C8A522-52CA-47B4-A749-82C209BDE814.jpeg

76D995EF-E49D-45D4-8320-D3DC8125270A.jpeg

They sit on the workbench, when required. Great for use away from the workshop. I found making the caddies was the easy bit, sorting out the tools, where to put them, what tubing to use, took a long time. Still have a few more tools to add to one of the caddies. I find that a quick look determines if anything is missing, helps me put things away and not leave tools behind. I transport them with a folding sack truck, part of it is in one of the pictures.

I will probably keep one of the Stanley toolbags for little used tools or ones for away from the workshop, like spare claw hammer, toolbox saw, secateurs, strap wrenches etc.

Edit- In the drawing above the width of the middle piece should be 332 not 335. I had to reduce the overall 354 dimension to 350 to get the caddy to fit, there were some tiny (hardly noticable) ribs/casting lines in the box which were binding.

Last edited:
Many moons ago when you bought car workshop tools from the likes of Facom they used to come with a self adhesive vinyl sticker with outlines of the tool and any associated components printed on it, and suitable hooks or brackets to hold everything. I suppose in a commercial workshop it was a good idea, and does have the advantage that you can immediately see if there's a bit gone walkabout. Personally hanging tools on the wall is something that has always been a pet hate of mine. No logical reason, just really bugs me.

Cupboards. An old sideboard and other bits n bobs. Doors and/or drawers. Keeps out the dust.
n.b. "systainer" is just an expensive box. It's quite easy to get boxes made if you know any woodworkers! Useful way to use up offcuts etc.

I'm liking Mr Bradshaws new set up, something like this would work really well for me 🤔

Very good system which combines workshop and site use. Seems to be two downsides, it will not take large tools, (a single drawer unit would be good) and the price, £108 each from ffx.

I'm liking Mr Bradshaws new set up, something like this would work really well for me 🤔

These type of videos make me pi$s they start off by deriding systainers by taking one systainer off at a time, doesn't the Muppet realise that if he unlocks the systainer he wants he can lift all the ones above in one go.
I realise this is just one big advert for DeWalt but surely he could be more original, vantainer do plenty of systainers with drawers which lock together more easily than the DeWalt & would give him the same set up.

I like all my hand tools close to me when I work, so I made a French cleat wall. Got to say it looks great and very handy, but the dust is very annoying. With that, I’m constructing a tool cabinet at the moment, should be able to close the doors when machining.

Power tools are kept in systainers. Yes it can be faffy taking them out of the boxes, but it’s not like they are going in and out all the time. Also easy to stack together what you need when you go out.

I have a bug out box for basic site tools. There is only a few things that I might need because you always need something else.

Nice tools....which I guess would cover the tools and the stools 😁

Back