Workbench design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I get it. So there are two kinds here. Those who recognise its 2021 and those who don't. Am I right? ;)

If you knew what I did for a living you wouldn't expose me to whatever that is.

But let me tell you about economics.

You will pay upwards of £200 per cubic foot of good oak.

I pay less than £200 for two cubic meters of premium oak delivered into my garden.

But let me tell you about economics.

You will pay upwards of £200 per cubic foot of good oak.

I pay less than £200 for two cubic meters of premium oak delivered into my garden.

ooh, Metric vs Imperial. Starts wars you know.

My girlfriends old man is all over the imperials. If it's not in millimetres I switch off.

This may be wrong, but I hope actually making the things is easier than designing it in 3D. Now that was a faff.
Main Frame v3.png

Putting our differences aside for a moment.....and that a pencil and paper may be very last century, but it is easier.

The dovetail can be the full width of the stretcher if it's off the ground.

Putting our differences aside for a moment.....and that a pencil and paper may be very last century, but it is easier.

The dovetail can be the full width of the stretcher if it's off the ground.

I do both. But I can't do these kind of renders on a piece of paper. Plus in my youth I was very much into this kind of stuff.

The stretcher isn't off the ground, its on the same level.

So it’s not strong enough to support? Couldn’t I add multiple pins?

Hmm. It's a load of work and you risk shearing off the short grain piece when you cut it.

Rebate the leg to the thickness of the stretcher and use 3 pre-drilled and countersunk long screws to screw it on flush.

Is the workbench not just a means to an end, in other words what is important is what comes off it at the end and not on what it's made or whether the guys using state of the art tools or wearing sandles and waving a small axe that is unless your business is making workbenches.

Back