Workbench design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Going to have to rebate the leg on both axis. Wouldn't it be easier just to use Tenons?
Main Frame v3.png

Is the workbench not just a means to an end, in other words what is important is what comes off it at the end and not on what it's made or whether the guys using state of the art tools or wearing sandles and waving a small axe that is unless your business is making workbenches.
Nice put down, thanks.

Maybe Bloc75 wants to learn something, meet some people and enjoy himself while he's making the bench.

Well I could raise them, but how will that improve the joints or balance the bench.

It makes the joints easy, as you can use the lap dovetail on all sides and eliminate the short grain which will make it stronger, and you'll be able to level the bench easier as you have less surface area in contact with the floor.

Once it's made and in position, level it up and just run a pencil or dividers along the floor and mark around the legs and cut where required.

Oh I get it. So there are two kinds here. Those who recognise its 2021 and those who don't. Am I right? ;)
The fact is that unless you have a decent planer and thicknesser
then you will either need to use a big jig setup for the router for surfacing which looks faff and space consuming to me...
Or get/make yourself a bench with the hand planes which has been and still is the best method for surfacing timber without a industrial setup.

Why is it the best, you may ask...
Try getting/finding a video of someone producing an invisible edge joint with any other tool that's not a machine.
(A very common thing to do, to make up wider or thicker stock)

One could try sanding but why would anyone try and abrade a surface rather than cut it, either slower or an imprecise tool will be used
and then you've got the noise and more importantly the dust to deal with.

I reluctantly agree that you could learn quite a lot from the man in the sandals,
Even though I don't agree with most of his methods, we share the same ethos of having a bench as the fundamental tool, and having a capable bandsaw as the no.1 machine of choice.
Many would agree as everything else can be done with other methods.

It's not a case of a nod to the past or something, planes are still efficient tools.
As you may have noticed if you've heard the names, Lie-Nielsen, Veritas,
Clifton, and Quangsheng to name but a few.
Why would these brands be in existence when you can easily pick up a perfectly good Stanley or Record plane for less than a quarter of the price on eBay.

Tom

Why not let the guy build HIS workbench the way HE wants too.

Why do we all have to be cookie cutter woodworkers when it comes to tools, methods styles and levels.

I'm a lousy woodworker but I enjoy it, have been roasted a few times, but I'm not as bad as I was.

Woodworking is as much for me a means of enjoyment and keeping my head together in trying times as it is about perfection and quality of work!

Cheers James

then you will either need to use a big jig setup for the router for surfacing which looks faff and space consuming to me...
Or get/make yourself a bench with the hand planes which has been and still is the best method for surfacing timber without a industrial setup.

Try getting/finding a video of someone producing an invisible edge joint with any other tool that's not a machine.

One could try sanding but why would anyone try and abrade a surface rather than cut it, either slower or an imprecise tool will be used

I reluctantly agree that you could learn quite a lot from the man in the sandals,
Even though I don't agree with most of his methods, we share the same ethos of having a bench as the fundamental tool, and having a capable bandsaw as the no.1 machine of choice.

It's not a case of a nod to the past or something, planes are still efficient tools.
Why would these brands be in existence when you can easily pick up a perfectly good Stanley or Record plane for less than a quarter of the price on eBay.

Tom

If you're referring to me, I don't have a bandsaw.

It makes the joints easy, as you can use the lap dovetail on all sides and eliminate the short grain which will make it stronger, and you'll be able to level the bench easier as you have less surface area in contact with the floor.

Once it's made and in position, level it up and just run a pencil or dividers along the floor and mark around the legs and cut where required.

I think I understand, as before when it was lower to the ground (the leg with the tail), there is less wood at the end, hence weaker. Makes sense.

Tom

Yeah I was kidding mainly. I watched a guy do a mortise and tenon on youtube the other day, and it was 20 minutes of serene perfection.

Why not let the guy build HIS workbench the way HE wants too.

Why do we all have to be cookie cutter woodworkers when it comes to tools, methods styles and levels.

I'm a lousy woodworker but I enjoy it, have been roasted a few times, but I'm not as bad as I was.

Woodworking is as much for me a means of enjoyment and keeping my head together in trying times as it is about perfection and quality of work!

Cheers James

Yeah, pretty much where I am.

Yes, that's it.

Short grain is carpenter speak to confuse others who are not in the club. Joiners use words like dado and fillister because they are posh and stay indoors all the time.

No Adam, don't know what footwear you wear, as you are truly on the dark side, I wouldn't think I'd be far wrong by saying that you may have thought of making your own footwear at some point?

I along whom I think is the sandal wearer are firmly in both camps.
I may treat my bench with a bit more respect, since I'm not planning on making another bench to replace it for a bunch of videos.

Tom

I’m inside and outside. But either way, it’s been educational last few days on here.

Yeah I was kidding mainly. I watched a guy do a mortise and tenon on youtube the other day, and it was 20 minutes of serene perfection.
Then why not make a traditional bench and use your computer design skills to work around that?
Just saying if you learn to use a hand plane well, then your skills will ZOOM up the ladder in a lot of areas.
I fear that you will get stuck or into trouble with the saw if you aren't able to prepare timber.

Surely you have seen a shooting board for basic tasks
(An attempt to lure you into the dark side, or indeed that gray area where many dwell)

All the best
Tom

Latest posts

Back